Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 11:45:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832169 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15930 on: April 03, 2016, 09:22:53 AM »

Yes it is. Only the 6th season is a bit weaker, offers a bit more routine instead inspiration. I'm just watching the 7th season, and try to stretch it over the whole year (but I have already watched half of it), cause it is very sad that it ends, and it is sad not to follow the protagonists over another decade as they get older and dumber and so on.

I'm so glad that I have 70 something more of these episodes to watch. I'm sure I'll feel the same way when I get close to the series finale.

Funny. I was just going say that it becomes better and better, the sixth season being the pinnacle (and the 7th a good but lesser season). When I watched the 6th season, I remember thinking that it must be one of the best existentialist works in the history of moving images.

That's nice to hear that someone really likes season 6. From everything I've read, people seem to pick on it a bit.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15931 on: April 03, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »

Falling Down[/b - 7.5/10 - Michael Douglas loses his job and goes nuts. Sort of a modern Taxi Driver without the subtlety, but fairly entertaining.

I saw it the other day and was pleasantly surprised. It's funny that you compare it with Taxi Driver. Both movies have similarities but Falling Diwn kind of goes the other way around: it starts as a satire and then mature thematics and characters grow out of it. Michael Douglas' character keeps getting deeper as the film plays and you discover things about his past. The same thing happens to Duvall.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15932 on: April 03, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »

Coming from Joel Schumacher, it was definitely a pleasant surprise. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: April 03, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »

An eye rolling drink mostly indicates an interesting and deeply realistic movie. So now it is settled, Night Moves is a great film devoid of cliches, apart from the noir stuff, without which it couldn't be a comment on noirs.

That settles it - Night Moves is a great movie!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15934 on: April 03, 2016, 01:01:15 PM »

Coming from Joel Schumacher, it was definitely a pleasant surprise. Afro

And also the reason why the film is only ok, and not something special.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15935 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »

Machine Gun McCain (1969) Dir Giuliano Montaldo, with stars John Cassavetes, Britt Ekland, Peter Falk,, Gena Rowlands and two Leone alumni Gabriele Ferzetti    and Luigi Pistilli   . Nothing outstanding about a 6.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15936 on: April 04, 2016, 12:53:56 PM »

Five Miles To Midnight (1963) director Anatole Litvak, starred Sophia Loren, Anthony Perkins, Gig Young.  A noirish opening credits and end sequences, a thriller in between. Story about an only aircrash survivor who is declared dead and he convinces his estranged wife to go along with that assumption so that he can collect the insurance money. 7/10

L'amore (1948) Director: Roberto Rossellini, stars: Anna Magnani, Federico Fellini, In the first episode, a heartbroken woman talks to her ex-lover on the phone. In the second, a pregnant woman believes she is carrying the child of Saint Joseph. 7/10

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:07:57 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15937 on: April 04, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »

Minority Report (2002) - 6.5/10
I liked it, but pretty low on the Spielberg list for me. Thought it was very ugly visually, characters not really too interesting, plot got pretty cool about halfway through though.

It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books (1988) - 4/10
Linklater's first feature. I think it's supposed to be a movie about travelling on trains, the dishes and laundry in between, and being bored. Nothing about it particularly made me angry, but it's more or less a pointless movie. Better than Waking Life.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15938 on: April 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »

Minority Report (2002)
Thought it was very ugly visually

You just destroyed your own credibility. Minority Report has lots of flaws but is beyond perfection when it comes to visuals.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:06:36 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15939 on: April 04, 2016, 08:07:55 PM »

And also the reason why the film is only ok, and not something special.

It is quite special. I agree that it could have been better with a better director but there is definitely a special touch in it, and half of it comes from the direction.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15940 on: April 05, 2016, 05:42:16 AM »

Sound of the Mountain / Yama no oto (1954) - 8/10. Not one of Naruse's masterpieces--of which there are several--but an excellent film nonetheless. The decision to film only part of Kawabata's novel distorts the story a bit--it makes everything more about the daughter-in-law (Setsuko Hara) and less about the old man--but the plot doesn't feel incomplete. Ken Ueda does his usual turn as a total shitbird--man, what a knack that guy had. This is a great film about people living together who never talk--Japan's national pastime. It's wonderful to see the old landmarks looking as they did 60 years ago: Kamakura station, Shinjuku park. And Hara was never prettier.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: April 05, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »

You just destroyed your own credibility. Minority Report has lots of flaws but is beyond perfection when it comes to visuals.
I've gotta disagree Mr. Cinematographer...blue tint splattered onto a never-ending shaky cam with over-exposed backlights drizzled like cum over every image made it feel like it was seriously cheating at creating an early-2000's sci-fi look.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15942 on: April 05, 2016, 08:45:34 PM »

Eye in the Sky (2015) 7.5/10

Nice review here by Richard Roeper http://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/eye-in-the-sky-helen-mirren-co-stars-excel-in-tense-war-drama/

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15943 on: April 06, 2016, 12:58:35 AM »

I've gotta disagree Mr. Cinematographer...blue tint splattered onto a never-ending shaky cam with over-exposed backlights drizzled like cum over every image made it feel like it was seriously cheating at creating an early-2000's sci-fi look.

It was seriously innovating and was imitated countless times. The shaky cam is just here to hide Spielberg's flawless camerawork: he's simply never been that good. Frame within the frame, the thematics of the movie being visually expressed throughout each scene, and that mise en scene... I just cannot figure out how he designed some of these shots: it starts out as a wide shot,then become a double close up (watch in macro and a character in the background), then it becomes another wide shot before becoming a reaction shot. Absolute perfection.

The blue tint didn't age well but looked great at the time. It still aged better than Jurassic Park's use of colors and light... or even Lincoln.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:29:26 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15944 on: April 06, 2016, 07:25:15 AM »

Colonel Redl - 8.5/10 - 4th viewing. After years of looking, I found a Region One DVD for under $90! What a time to be alive.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM