Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:06:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769470 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15945 on: April 06, 2016, 07:25:15 AM »

Colonel Redl - 8.5/10 - 4th viewing. After years of looking, I found a Region One DVD for under $90! What a time to be alive.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: April 06, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »

... a never-ending shaky cam...

... The shaky cam is just here to hide Spielberg's flawless camerawork...

I have seen Minority Report but don't remember it well. However, I do remember finding Kaminsky's shaky cam at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan to be very effective.

Shaky cam when used with restraint can definitely provide a gritty, realistic feel. However, in many modern films I put shaky cam it in the same category as choppy editing - i.e. a lame attempt to make something visually impoverished into something it clearly isn't.

I wonder what Kaminsky's take is on all the excessive shaking we see in some modern films. Similarly, I wonder if the rotating Peckinpah editing posse or someone like Dede Allen ever looked at the progression of editing from the fantastic stuff they were doing to bemoan where it had ended up with just very fast incoherent jump cuts.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: April 06, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »

It was seriously innovating and was imitated countless times. The shaky cam is just here to hide Spielberg's flawless camerawork: he's simply never been that good. Frame within the frame, the thematics of the movie being visually expressed throughout each scene, and that mise en scene... I just cannot figure out how he designed some of these shots: it starts out as a wide shot,then become a double close up (watch in macro and a character in the background), then it becomes another wide shot before becoming a reaction shot. Absolute perfection.

The blue tint didn't age well but looked great at the time. It still aged better than Jurassic Park's use of colors and light... or even Lincoln.
Fair enough. I didn't pay much attention to the design of shots first time around. All I know is... I thought the whole thing looked pretty generic and unpleasent to look at.

Me and Orson Welles (2008)
- 6/10
Very hokey, not very well acted, and really no chemistry between the characters. But it's innocence is fun, and I was entertained by it the whole time. Nothing particularly made me angry about the movie ...so ...I'll give it a pass.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: April 07, 2016, 05:49:05 AM »

Me and Orson Welles (2008)
- 6/10
Very hokey, not very well acted, and really no chemistry between the characters. But it's innocence is fun, and I was entertained by it the whole time. Nothing particularly made me angry about the movie ...so ...I'll give it a pass.
I thought the guy doing the Welles imitation did a really good job. Only reason to watch this, really.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: April 07, 2016, 11:27:25 AM »

was just reading Roger Ebert's review of the movie http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/me-and-orson-welles-2009 and saw this great anecdote regarding Welles:

He once came to appear at Chicago's Auditorium Theatre. A snowstorm shut down the city, but he was able to get to the theater from his nearby hotel. At curtain time, he stepped before the handful of people who had been able to attend. "Good evening," he said. "I am Orson Welles -- director, producer; actor; impresario; writer; artist; magician; star of stage, screen and radio, and a pretty fair singer. Why are there so many of me, and so few of you?"

Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15950 on: April 08, 2016, 03:17:40 AM »

I have seen Minority Report but don't remember it well. However, I do remember finding Kaminsky's shaky cam at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan to be very effective.

Shaky cam when used with restraint can definitely provide a gritty, realistic feel. However, in many modern films I put shaky cam it in the same category as choppy editing - i.e. a lame attempt to make something visually impoverished into something it clearly isn't.

Spielberg has taken lots of wrong decisions in his career, but lame/lazy directing isn't one of them. He's one of the most thoughtful technicians out there. May be #1.

Fair enough. I didn't pay much attention to the design of shots first time around.

It's Steven Spielberg so it's almost never in your face. But it really is Spielberg's best camerawork IMO. He's mostly gone downhill from there (I'm still talking from a purely technical standpoint).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: April 08, 2016, 08:25:18 AM »

I just saw BRIDGE OF SPIES last night.

I was disappointed. The acting was very good; my problems are mostly with the script. This is the problem with doing a script of a true story - you're constrained by fact, which is sometimes less interesting than fiction. I'll try to discuss this movie more fully when I have the time. I give this movie a 6.5/10. My enjoyment throughout was at a higher level than that, but toward the end I just was disappointed, it's sort of straightforward and none of the twists I was expecting from a spy movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15952 on: April 08, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »

I liked the second half, the first half was pretty tedious.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: April 08, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »

Fast Food Nation (2006) - 7/10
Pretty decent ensemble genre from Linlklater, would be great if it didn't get so politically down-your-throat especially towards the ends. The fast food industry is treated like a drug cartel drama, and used as a tool to represent American culture in the 21st century. Underrated but still not that great. Some odd pacing issues - where the fuck does the main character go halfway through the movie?

Take Shelter (2011) - 8/10
3rd, 4th viewing? Michael Shannon is fantastic and Nichols is on-point as a filmmaker for 90% of the movie. It can get quite redundant, but it's so beautifully shot and acted that who cares. That ending, though....I mean... what's the point? Yeah, the movie may be less about whether Shannon is right about the apocalypse/going crazy and more about the family relationships, buuuut..... what's the point of him being right in the end? What does it prove? It just has such a "oh...whatever" feeling to it. I'd much prefer he's crazy all along and gets institutionalized and leave it there. boring but it makes more sense. But him being correct about the "storm coming"? Umm, cool. Guess he was right. Good for him. Idk. does that make sense?

Midnight Special (2016) - 7.5/10
Good sci-fi drama, the lack of clear explanation of well....mostly everything... results in a very solid character drama. Nichols is 4 for 4 in terms of movies in the 7-8 range, and I'd say he's still one of the most talented and promising up and coming directors - on par and very very similar to Bennett Miller. As Noodles mentions, yeah it loses some impact during the climax, but I don't think it's too too bad. The noticeable CGI definitely kinda sucks. He doesn't "nail" a movie ending here, but it's a hell of an improvement from Take Shelter and especially Mud, two very good movies hurt by quite poor endings. I'd have liked slightly more explanation on the boundaries of the child's powers. why does he keep doing what he does? what exactly is the limit to what he can do, and what can he / can't he control? I guess that's not really the point but its an observation I had.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: April 09, 2016, 06:01:21 AM »

Take Shelter (2011) - 8/10
3rd, 4th viewing? Michael Shannon is fantastic and Nichols is on-point as a filmmaker for 90% of the movie. It can get quite redundant, but it's so beautifully shot and acted that who cares. That ending, though....I mean... what's the point? Yeah, the movie may be less about whether Shannon is right about the apocalypse/going crazy and more about the family relationships, buuuut..... what's the point of him being right in the end? What does it prove? It just has such a "oh...whatever" feeling to it. I'd much prefer he's crazy all along and gets institutionalized and leave it there. boring but it makes more sense. But him being correct about the "storm coming"? Umm, cool. Guess he was right. Good for him. Idk. does that make sense?

Good sci-fi drama, the lack of clear explanation of well....mostly everything... results in a very solid character drama. Nichols is 4 for 4 in terms of movies in the 7-8 range, and I'd say he's still one of the most talented and promising up and coming directors - on par and very very similar to Bennett Miller. As Noodles mentions, yeah it loses some impact during the climax, but I don't think it's too too bad. The noticeable CGI definitely kinda sucks. He doesn't "nail" a movie ending here, but it's a hell of an improvement from Take Shelter and especially Mud, two very good movies hurt by quite poor endings. I'd have liked slightly more explanation on the boundaries of the child's powers. why does he keep doing what he does? what exactly is the limit to what he can do, and what can he / can't he control? I guess that's not really the point but its an observation I had.

Nichols needs better fans.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: April 09, 2016, 06:09:00 AM »

Harry Brown (2009) Director: Daniel Barber, starred Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, David Bradley, nothing special entertaining enough 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15956 on: April 09, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »

It's funny how this request for more clarification is often heard about MS. I don't quite get it, it seems to me we know pretty much everything there is to know after an hour or so. May be the first half having such a mysterious atmosphere makes people ask for big revelations. I really don't know. The only unanswered question to me is how Kylo "Mr Kennedy" Ren finds where they're going.

I agree to some extend about the ending, it may be not as bad as I said earlier. It's still a fail to me. Not the kind of fail that makes you wonder why I bothered watching the whole thing (unlike Take Shelter) because this time it's coherent with and set up by everything that came before. It still loses 90% of its impact and 100% of the emotion exactly where the movie should be at its best.

Nichols needs better fans.

He needs better endings.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:16:43 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: April 09, 2016, 08:17:31 AM »

The Raven (2012) - 4.5 - 5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: April 10, 2016, 01:48:44 AM »

Cold in July (2014) - (near) 8/10

Here's a nice little indie action oriented crime flick, set in the 80's. If you can get past the fact that some points of the story are there to set the rest flowing, you can enjoy the view, which is chuck-full of arbitrary plot twists, good ''men jokes'', OK performances and reasonably good directing. Plus, it lacks any forced character development or sermonizing. It's Texas.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: April 10, 2016, 03:29:40 AM »

Hail Caesar - Los Coens

A lesser Coen, no doubt, maybe their weakest film so far, but les Coens are always worth a watch. The episodic structure doesn't add to a fitting whole, but as always some nice scenes here and there. Positively said it is more than one might expect from the new Dolph Lundgren film. 6/10

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:34:44 AM by stanton » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM