Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:17:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758891 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15960 on: April 10, 2016, 10:04:53 AM »

Yes this is more od less what bothers this movie, pity cause Rod Steiger is outstanding under all that heavy makeup.

The thing they did great was capturing the blank, sterile environment the pawnbroker's been thrown into. A rarely seen and even more rarely witnessed in movies from that time,  devoid of smalltown fascination with big buildings and light, purgatory-like sight.

6/10

I must raise my rating to 7.5/10. Yesterday I was really touched when watching it. Some flashback sequences still seem rather blatant, but I pardon 'em.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15961 on: April 10, 2016, 10:09:48 AM »

12 Angry Men (1997) - 7/10

Friedkin's TV version, OK but far, far away from the original.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15962 on: April 10, 2016, 11:02:05 PM »

Hard, Fast and Beautiful (1951) 4/10 (TCM)

Ida Lupino directed a piece of shit. For once in my life, I pretty much agree with a Bosley Crowther review http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9900EFD91F3EEF3BBC4A53DFB166838A649EDE

Except one thing: the tennis scenes are perhaps the worst scenes in the movie. If these scenes were of 5-year-old girls playing, rather than teenagers, they would still be comical. To have them of the supposed amateur world champions? It would be like making a movie of a college baseball team in which the pitches were tossed like beer-league softball. Comical. Avoid this movie at all costs. I can't think of a single good thing about this movie.

An interesting point: Despote noting how bad the tennis scenes are, the tennis scenes seem to be just about all that Crowther enjoyed about the movie! I guess that in 1951, maybe there was not much, if any, tennis on TV, so it would have been somewhat thrilling for a tennis fan to watch tennis scenes onscreen, no matter how bad they are.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:55:15 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15963 on: April 11, 2016, 08:23:24 PM »

Midnight Special (2016) - 7.5/10
He doesn't "nail" a movie ending here, but it's a hell of an improvement from Take Shelter and especially Mud, two very good movies hurt by quite poor endings.
I'd say he did nail the ending. After the singularity, the power structure reasserts itself and we're back to business-as-usual. Brilliant ending for a film of this kind.

I was gratified when the curtains in the cinema opened all the way to signal a film shot in 2.35:1. Five minutes in I realized the significance of shooting in Carpenter's preferred aspect ratio: this is an unofficial remake of Starman. I really hated Starman back in the day (haven't seen it since), but Midnight Special was unalloyed enjoyment (well, the climax went on a little long and should have been tightened up). Every mistake Carpenter made in his picture Nichols avoided in his, and added a whole bunch of cool new things (including the ending). And great, great photography (nary a moment of B.S. lighting). The score was a bit better than adequate. There were a couple moments in the plot that had me scratching my head (what was the whole bit with the military compound that has its power dampened suddenly powering up all about?) but story was probably the least interesting aspect of the film anyway. Visually this is one of the most interesting films I've seen in a while and I'll be looking forward to the Blu. 9/10.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15964 on: April 12, 2016, 06:54:07 AM »

I'd say he did nail the ending. After the singularity, the power structure reasserts itself and we're back to business-as-usual. Brilliant ending for a film of this kind.

The problem isn't the structure, it's that the climax scene kind of suck.

1 - It's unbelievable: so the whole army is ready to catch them and they can just drive through them?
2 - It's ugly: the CGI suck, the design of the parallel is "well tried" but they still should have hidden most of it: it doesn't work?
3 - 0 emotion (while the goal of the scene is clearly to be emotional)

I wouldn't even mention it (appart from the first point) in most films, but this one is so well crafted in such a distinctive and precise style up to that point that every misstep is jarring. Also, it's kind of the climax, everything leads here, so it kinds of "spoil" the previous scenes.

I was gratified when the curtains in the cinema opened all the way to signal a film shot in 2.35:1. Five minutes in I realized the significance of shooting in Carpenter's preferred aspect ratio: this is an unofficial remake of Starman. I really hated Starman back in the day (haven't seen it since), but Midnight Special was unalloyed enjoyment (well, the climax went on a little long and should have been tightened up). Every mistake Carpenter made in his picture Nichols avoided in his, and added a whole bunch of cool new things (including the ending). And great, great photography (nary a moment of B.S. lighting). The score was a bit better than adequate. There were a couple moments in the plot that had me scratching my head (what was the whole bit with the military compound that has its power dampened suddenly powering up all about?) but story was probably the least interesting aspect of the film anyway. Visually this is one of the most interesting films I've seen in a while and I'll be looking forward to the Blu. 9/10.

Yep.

12 Angry Men (1997) - 7/10

Friedkin's TV version, OK but far, far away from the original.

Exactly. It's almost as flawless as it is pointless.
I saw it before I could see the original so I had a good time but now that I know Lumet's version, I don't think I'll ever give this one another shot.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:56:24 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15965 on: April 12, 2016, 09:19:38 AM »

The problem isn't the structure, it's that the climax scene kind of suck.

1 - It's unbelievable: so the whole army is ready to catch them and they can just drive through them?
2 - It's ugly: the CGI suck, the design of the parallel is "well tried" but they still should have hidden most of it: it doesn't work?
3 - 0 emotion (while the goal of the scene is clearly to be emotional)

You're talking about the climax. I was talking about the ending.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15966 on: April 12, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »

Shield For Murder (1954) - 7/10. This very entertaining Bad Cop Noir must be unintentionally funny at times--but who knows, maybe the filmmakers knew exactly what they were doing every step of the way. Edmund O'Brien (who not only starred by also co-directed with Howard W. Koch) is a crooked detective who bumps off a mob runner and pockets the $25,000 the guy was carrying. His precinct buddies--including partner John Agar--give O'Brien a pass, but there's a deaf-mute who witnessed what he did and tries to come forward. Well, when you've killed one, it's easy to make it two. Trouble is, the mob boss who's out the 25 large wants his cash back, and sends Claude Akins and another goon against O'Brien to get it. Akins plays a creep you love to hate, so there are a couple of neat pay-offs: first, when O'Brien pistol whips Akins into unconsciousness, and later, during a shootout between the two that begins in a locker-room and ends at a crowded public swimming pool. The choreography is such that Akins ends up on the diving board just as O'Brien shoots him, thus making him (heh heh) take a dive. There's also another gag with a model home. O'Brien takes his girlfriend (Marla English) to the house to give her a taste of the good life, now, seemingly, only weeks away. And he stashes the loot there. So OF COURSE this is destined to be the scene of the climax. The filmmakers get to end the film with O'Brien, in uniform, shot down, cash falling from his fingers, in front of the home. This double underlining of the irony had me screaming. Another pleasure of the film is all the bit parts filled by classic faces. Emile Meyer, Robert Bray, William Schallet, Stafford Repp, Richard Deacon ("Mel" from Dick Van Dyke) are all in this. At one point, O'Brien goes into a bar and Vito Scotti is behind the counter! Then Carolyn Jones slides over and tries to pick O'Brien up. Jones is hilarious--she goes into her routine and the plot gets put on hold. I didn't mind at all. This film can now be had on Blu-ray--but why pay, when amazon Prime members can stream it for free?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15967 on: April 12, 2016, 10:21:30 AM »

You're talking about the climax. I was talking about the ending.

Oh ok. The actual ending is fine with me, as I stated in my original review if I recall correctly.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15968 on: April 12, 2016, 01:32:38 PM »

Exactly. It's almost as flawless as it is pointless.
I saw it before I could see the original so I had a good time but now that I know Lumet's version, I don't think I'll ever give this one another shot.

I saw the 1997 TV version years before I saw the Lumet version. Both very good. I suppose I am obliged to say that the Lumet version is a million times better, but hey,  I saw one movie 15 years ago and the other 5 years ago; can't exactly compare them.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15969 on: April 12, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »

Shield For Murder (1954) - 7/10. This very entertaining Bad Cop Noir must be unintentionally funny at times--but who knows, maybe the filmmakers knew exactly what they were doing every step of the way. Edmund O'Brien (who not only starred by also co-directed with Howard W. Koch) is a crooked detective who bumps off a mob runner and pockets the $25,000 the guy was carrying. His precinct buddies--including partner John Agar--give O'Brien a pass, but there's a deaf-mute who witnessed what he did and tries to come forward. Well, when you've killed one, it's easy to make it two. Trouble is, the mob boss who's out the 25 large wants his cash back, and sends Claude Akins and another goon against O'Brien to get it. Akins plays a creep you love to hate, so there are a couple of neat pay-offs: first, when O'Brien pistol whips Akins into unconsciousness, and later, during a shootout between the two that begins in a locker-room and ends at a crowded public swimming pool. The choreography is such that Akins ends up on the diving board just as O'Brien shoots him, thus making him (heh heh) take a dive. There's also another gag with a model home. O'Brien takes his girlfriend (Marla English) to the house to give her a taste of the good life, now, seemingly, only weeks away. And he stashes the loot there. So OF COURSE this is destined to be the scene of the climax. The filmmakers get to end the film with O'Brien, in uniform, shot down, cash falling from his fingers, in front of the home. This double underlining of the irony had me screaming. Another pleasure of the film is all the bit parts filled by classic faces. Emile Meyer, Robert Bray, William Schallet, Stafford Repp, Richard Deacon ("Mel" from Dick Van Dyke) are all in this. At one point, O'Brien goes into a bar and Vito Scotti is behind the counter! Then Carolyn Jones slides over and tries to pick O'Brien up. Jones is hilarious--she goes into her routine and the plot gets put on hold. I didn't mind at all. This film can now be had on Blu-ray--but why pay, when amazon Prime members can stream it for free?

Great film agree  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15970 on: April 12, 2016, 02:39:17 PM »

I saw the 1997 TV version years before I saw the Lumet version. Both very good. I suppose I am obliged to say that the Lumet version is a million times better, but hey,  I saw one movie 15 years ago and the other 5 years ago; can't exactly compare them.

Just say you trust me.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15971 on: April 12, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »

I love Starman.

Trainwreck - 7/10
Amy Schumer, not funny. Movie, not really funny. Not really that original. Why did I like it? I don't know.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 6.5/10
You can really see Kubrick in the jarring act structure. But, like Kubrick, I feel that this weakens with each act. Act 1, with the family and the jealous son, is fucking excellent, and probably up there with Spielberg's best and most mature work as a director. I lose a bit in Act 2 with Jude Law and the crazy Mech wreckage carnival thing, but still maintain some interest. By the time Haley Joel is underwater blabbing about Pinocchio and then talks with future robots to reconnect with his mom...it gets a little too zany, sloooow, and left field for me, and I think Spielberg starts to fail to pull off something that I personally believe even Kubrick falls short with - his final acts. However, unlike Minority Report, I thought this was a visually stunning movie, particularly in the first hour or so. I think my score should be a little higher but I just don't know how to feel about the movie's consistency - maybe I'll give it a second viewing one day.

Haley Joel kinda sucks too. He's never been that good a child actor. I bet he got all those roles in the late 90's early 2000's because he put out for pedo execs.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15972 on: April 12, 2016, 04:20:44 PM »

Haley Joel kinda sucks too. He's never been that good a child actor. I bet he got all those roles in the late 90's early 2000's because he put out for pedo execs.
I hear he sucked Spielberg's dick.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15973 on: April 12, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »

Just say you trust me.

I'll say I love you baby, but trust is a whole different matter ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15974 on: April 12, 2016, 06:56:33 PM »

Lo straniero / The Stranger (1967) - 6/10. An indifferent adaptation of Camus's famous novel. But it's a Visconti with Rotunno photography, so it is not without interest. And it can be streamed, in Italian with English subs, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3yXp4LDVhU

Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM