Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 02:09:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761409 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16065 on: May 22, 2016, 09:16:49 AM »

I could start reviewing Lifetime movies if you want.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16066 on: May 22, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »

i just saw THE WELL-DIGGER's DAUGHTER (2011), directed by Daniel Auteuil, who also acts in it. This is a re-make of a 1940 film of the same title by Maurice Pagnol.

I had to laugh while watching this schmaltzy French rural melodrama. Because in 2013, Auteuil directed and acted in two films, MARIUS and FANNY, which are the first two parts of Pagnol's "Marseille" trilogy, and it's basically the same friggin' story!!!

The Marseille trilogy takes place in that seaside city, THE WELL-DIGGER'S DAUGHTER is in a village. Both feature nice scenery shots, sweeping dramatic music, and such similar stories. Girl is in love with a guy her age whom she can't have, there is a much older man who wants her but she  isn't interested in ... but then it turns out that after the young man has left town, she is ... gasp ... pregnant by the younger man, and now will she marry the older man for respectability, blah blah blah. The same friggin story!

i Just saw THE WELL-DIGGER's DAUGHTER (2011), directed by Daniel Auteuil, who also acts in it. This is a re-make of a 1940 film of the same title by Maurice Pagnol.

I had to laugh while watching this schmaltzy French rural melodrama. Because in 2013, Auteuil directed and acted in two films, MARIUS and FANNY, which are the first two parts of Pagnol's "Marseille" trilogy, and it's basically the same friggin' story!!!

The Marseille trilogy takes place in that seaside city, THE WELL-DIGGER'S DAUGHTER is in a village. Both feature nice scenery shots, sweeping dramatic music, and such similar stories. Girl is in love with a guy her age whom she can't have, there is a much older man who wants her but she  isn't interested in ... but then it turns out that after the young man has left town, she is ... gasp ... pregnant by the younger man, and nowquestion is will she marry the older man for respectability?? blah blah blah. The same friggin story!

on it's own , half-decent film ... nice images. crazy schmaltzy, whatever, and everything turns out too nice at the end... but too similar to FANNY/MARIUS (which i saw first, although they were made two years after THE WELL-DIGGER'S DAUGHTER. All these films, nice images to look at, very melodrama story, nice acting.

In THE WELL-DIGGER'S DAUGHTER, Auteuil plays the girl's father; in MARIUS/FANNY, he plays the father of the young man. In THE WELL-DIGGER'S DAUGHTER, Jean-Pierre Darroussin plays the father of the young man; in MARIUS/FANNY, he plays the older man who is in love with the girl.
Now here is the real funny part for me: I thought that actors playing girl and young man in THE WELL-DIGGER'S DAUGHTER were the same who played them in MARIUS/FANNY. But no, I looked up the cast on IMDB and wikipedia, and it turns out they were played by different actors ... who in both cases look very similar.

Likewise, in MARIUS/FANNY, the young man is played by Raphael personnaz; here he is on the dvd cover http://goo.gl/IlSCpa
In THE WELL-DIGGER'S DAUGHTER, the young man is played by Nicolas Duvachelle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Duvauchelle

I think they look a little alike.

But this part is scary:

Tell me I am wrong: in FANNY/MARIUS, the young girl is played by Victoire Belezy. here she is on the dvd cover http://goo.gl/4H2BCb
in THE WELL-DIGGER'S DAUGHTER, the girl is played by Astrid Berges-Frisby https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%80strid_Berg%C3%A8s-Frisbey

Don't they look exactly alike???

Anyway, both movies are decent, whatever, nice images, nice acting, soap-opera like schmaltzy melodramatic story with big sweeping music ...

.... on that note, i also just saw Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring, but I have to run out now to get steaks with dj, so more on that later ....

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:46:09 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16067 on: May 22, 2016, 08:45:07 PM »

Just saw DVD of A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS. For the first time . I give the movie an 8.5/10

I gotta Gotosleepnow.  there'll be much to discuss later about this film, perhaps over steaks with dj sometime soon hopefully  Afro

DJ and I are leaving the restaurant now. In the time it takes to eat a 16-ounce steak, DJ educated me on the entire history of British kingdom and church.

n_l would be proud of me: Some lady sitting next to us was showing off how she could pronounce the French dishes on the menu. She said, "I'm from Montreal!"
So I said, "My buddy from Paris says you are a phony French!"

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:08:41 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16068 on: May 23, 2016, 03:43:19 AM »

DJ and I are leaving the reataurant now. In the time it takes to eat a 16-ounce steak, DJ educated me on the entire history of British kingdom and church.

n_l would be proud of me: Some lady sitting next to us was showing off how she could pronounce the French dishes on the menu. She said, "I'm from Montreal!"
So I said, "My buddy from Paris says you are a phony French!"

Afro

She either killed you right after that or is now in a plane to Paris to get me.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16069 on: May 23, 2016, 03:54:20 AM »

Trouble Man (1972) Directed by Ivan Dixon, the LA equivalent of a Travis McGee "salvage expert" Mr. T (Robert Hooks) who runs a pool hall is the man to go to when masked men are knocking over the floating crap games of Chalky and Pete.  When things go down that frame Mr. T, a gang war becomes imminent.  It's a blaxploitation flick that's played straight and is more serious than most. 7/10

PS Ivan Dixon played Kinchloe on Hogan's Heroes

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:55:39 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16070 on: May 23, 2016, 06:01:50 AM »

Trouble Man (1972) Directed by Ivan Dixon
PS Ivan Dixon played Kinchloe on Hogan's Heroes
Dixon had a long career as a TV director. Among his many credits: 9 Rockford Files episodes, 13 Magnum, P.I.s.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16071 on: May 23, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »

Man of Steel - 4/10 - Watched this on DVD instead of HBO. Still sucked donkey balls.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16072 on: May 23, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »

Man of Steel - 4/10 - Watched this on DVD instead of HBO.
You are one talented guy.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16073 on: May 23, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »

Saw Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring (a little previous discussion about that film here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg176531#msg176531

Another Pagnol melodrama about rural France. A two-parter.

The first movie is, I believe, 121 mins; the second is 113 mins.

The second is definitely the better one. The first is not bad, but the story simply doesn't have enough to really fill two hours. There's just one basic storyline, no side story or anything, and it's not enough to fill two hours; they could have easily cut at least 20 minutes from the movie. The second one is better, does not have that problem. The second is good, though with a bunch of speeches at the end, IMO that is not a great script feature.

But forgetting that it's two parts - really, it has to be viewed as one long movie, as neither part works without the other - viewing it as one long movie- I'd say this gets a 7/10.

Scenery is beautiful.

Gerard Depardeiu is decent as the hunchback in the first film. Yves Montand and Daniel Auteuil are absolutely spectacular in both films. In the second film, you have the gorgeous Emmanuelle Beart, simply breathtaking - before she committed a crime against humanity and God by destroying one of His most beautiful creations stuffing her face with all sorts of shit. For that unforgivable crime, I'd vote to put her to death. (Come to think of it, n_l could have used her in his music video. She'd still look more hideous than any of the characters in there.  Wink )

Also, a little treat for Leone fans: Margerita Lozano, who played Consuelo Baxter in FOD, plays a kind old lady in JdF/MotS, albeit a very small part.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:08:21 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16074 on: May 23, 2016, 06:25:12 PM »

Junun (2015) - 6/10
Second viewing of PTA's musical documentary. I just don't find it very interesting, though some parts are very beautiful and well-shot. The music is for those who... enjoy Indian music. There's not much more to the film outside the creation of music.

Ghost World (2001) - 8/10
Real solid dramedy.

Pootie Tang (2001) - 3/10
Louis CK is a genius - his work in television is among the best in the medium, Horace and Pete is an absolute masterpiece, the bulk of his stand-up specials are riotous...but both of his films fucking suck.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16075 on: May 23, 2016, 06:45:37 PM »

You are one talented guy.

You are a delight. Kiss

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16076 on: May 23, 2016, 07:06:17 PM »

Nella città l'inferno (1959) 7/10. Italy's answer to Caged, the Warner women-in-prison movie, with Giulietta Masina in the Eleanor Parker role. Anna Magnani plays the hardened con who shows new fish Masina the ropes and it's quite a performance. Masina, who was pushing 40 at the time, tries to pass for 27, but apart from that everything is credible. Well, except for the sentimental ending.

Love & Friendship (2016) 6/10. Jane Austen out of Whit Stillman. It kind of works, but it isn't as funny as the filmmakers think it is. There aren't too many adaptations of "Lady Susan", so I guess we should be grateful for this. Kate Bekinsale is awfully pretty.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16077 on: May 24, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »

Woooooooooooooooo!
I just watched the first episode of Horace and Pete so that RR doesn't do suicide bombing or anything because nobody watches his favorite TV show. Damn that's one of the saddest comedy piece I've ever watched. You think you've reached the bottom with some of the Coen's latest works and Louis CK punches you right in the face.

I wish he would stop directing these shows and hire a professional instead because he's a terrible director and editor. He destroys most of his clever writing as well as most of the great acting (what a casting!). But the show is still both funny and sad as hell! That's just how great it is. Despite the director.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16078 on: May 24, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »

The Chase (1946) Film: 5/10; Entertainment Value: 8/10; Restoration (2012) and Transfer: 10/10. Watching this again on the new Kino BD I suddenly realized: this is the Mulholland Dr. of the 1940s. The disc comes with two radio broadcasts, one from 1944, the other from 1946 of "The Black Path of Fear," adaptations of Cornell Woolrich's putative basis for the film. Interestingly, the radio dramas are made up entirely of the Havana sequence that appears in the film. I guess all the Miami stuff at the beginning was an addition made by the filmmakers, but I'd like to hear from someone who has read the original story.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16079 on: May 24, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »

Coming Home - 6.5/10 - Jane Fonda finds crippled Vietnam vet Jon Voight more appealing than impotent Marine Bruce Dern. Wouldn't you? High-toned melodrama wants to say something about Vietnam and our treatment of veterans, but falls back on romantic clichés and muddled messaging. That said, it's way better than The Deer Hunter.

Father (1966) - 8/10 - Early Istvan Szabo film about an Hungarian boy who imagines his deceased father as a war hero, to the point where this delusion swallows his whole identity. Nothing like Szabo's later works: a blend of Italian neorealism and New Wave fourth wall-breaking with a touch of Richard Lester. Besides the playful direction, Szabo finds allegorical resonance between his hero's fantasies and Hungary's whipsawing between fascism, Communism and abortive revolution. Credit Szabo, too, for avoiding the obvious ending.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:19:02 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM