Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 12:17:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762948 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16080 on: May 25, 2016, 04:45:34 AM »

Charlotte Gray (2001) 5.5/10

A shitty movie with beautiful scenery

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: May 25, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »

Dr. Thorne (2016) - 7/10. Julian Fellowes, the mind behind Downton Abbey (which I don't care for), does Anthony Trollope. And he has made a credible adaptation, although the novel is one of Trollope's weaker efforts (it's the worst of the Barsetshire series). Still, no one is likely to ever adapt this again, and it's not without some charm, so I guess I'm happy we have it. The title character is played by Tom Hollander, who is too short to play leading men. The filmmakers go to elaborate lengths to avoid revealing just how short he is, unsuccessfully. But the girl playing his niece is gorgeous. This is available in the U.S. on amazon, streaming free for Prime members, but in the UK it's out on disc.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: May 25, 2016, 05:04:21 PM »

Woooooooooooooooo!
I just watched the first episode of Horace and Pete so that RR doesn't do suicide bombing or anything because nobody watches his favorite TV show. Damn that's one of the saddest comedy piece I've ever watched. You think you've reached the bottom with some of the Coen's latest works and Louis CK punches you right in the face.

I wish he would stop directing these shows and hire a professional instead because he's a terrible director and editor. He destroys most of his clever writing as well as most of the great acting (what a casting!). But the show is still both funny and sad as hell! That's just how great it is. Despite the director.
Phew! That was a close one. Now watch the rest.

Say what you will about the FX Louie, but CK's direction and his editor's edition in Horace and Pete is excellent. First off, it's supposed to look and feel like a play - it's nothing special visually. But it's subtle - you wait and see. There are scenes with the perfect amount of restraint in direction, and scenes where the decision not to cut make the show endlessly more powerful (think Paris, Texas in its final meeting between the two former lovers).

I thought I was jumping the gun calling this one of the greatest pieces of storytelling I've ever seen, yet I still haven't stopped thinking about it.

Also... I wouldn't call it a comedy at all. I'd call it a very heavy drama with some amusing moments.

The Nice Guys (2016) - 8.5/10
Loads of fun

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:09:03 PM by PowerRR » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16083 on: May 26, 2016, 02:16:08 AM »

Phew! That was a close one. Now watch the rest.

Say what you will about the FX Louie, but CK's direction and his editor's edition in Horace and Pete is excellent. First off, it's supposed to look and feel like a play - it's nothing special visually. But it's subtle - you wait and see. There are scenes with the perfect amount of restraint in direction, and scenes where the decision not to cut make the show endlessly more powerful (think Paris, Texas in its final meeting between the two former lovers).

I thought I was jumping the gun calling this one of the greatest pieces of storytelling I've ever seen, yet I still haven't stopped thinking about it.

Nah, I don't care if you cut or don't cut, you've got a camera on your hand, show what is supposed to be shown. The job is called "director" because there are things to direct.
https://vimeo.com/94628727

The Nice Guys (2016) - 8.5/10
Loads of fun

Yep. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fun. Almost Kiss Kiss Bang Bang remake.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16084 on: May 26, 2016, 07:26:01 AM »

Also... I wouldn't call it a comedy at all. I'd call it a very heavy drama with some amusing moments.

I just watched episode 3, I understand your point now. FUCK YOU MAN DON'T MAKE ME WATCH THIS I don't want to kill myself.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: May 26, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »

Figures in a Landscape (1970) - 1/10. Robert Shaw and Malcolm McDowell, together again for the first time! They're the figures! And they're on the run! And they're . . . (wait for it) . . . in a landscape! And there's an evil helicopter menacing them! Man, that's one evil helicopter! But sometimes the helicopter has to leave, probably to return to base to refuel. But it will be back! Because, without the helicopter, there'd be no helicopter shots! Also, no Deeper Symbolism. Because the copter is Shaw's . . . bęte noir! Still, while the bird is away, Bob and Malc can talk about topical things, like . . . the Pill! And whether or not Malc can date Bob's daughters.

I've been on a bit of a Joseph Losey kick lately, but this is one of the worst P.O.S. I've ever seen. Losey's output was, it appears, wildly uneven. Oh well, back to another viewing of The Romantic Englishwoman.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16086 on: May 26, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »

I've been on a bit of a Joseph Losey kick lately, but this is one of the worst P.O.S. I've ever seen. Losey's output was, it appears, wildly uneven. Oh well, back to another viewing of The Romantic Englishwoman.

Man, you ain't kidding.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: May 26, 2016, 10:50:37 PM »

I just watched episode 3, I understand your point now. FUCK YOU MAN DON'T MAKE ME WATCH THIS I don't want to kill myself.
some episodes, including 3, will literally drain you and both ruin your day / make it endlessly better.

I just now got back from Louis' stand up tour and my throat hurts from laughing (not cock)

I watched that Spielberg oner video the other day and it's excellent, a perfect way to reveal spielbergs overlooked subtlety and technical craft. However, I still think CKs directing perfectly suits his style of writing. Of course he could never direct a Sorkin script, but I bet someone like Fincher could never direct a CK script as well as CK could himself.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16088 on: May 27, 2016, 03:28:31 AM »

Louis will be in France for a couple nights this summer, unfortunately I couldn't get a ticket, it was sold out within 5 minutes.

However, I still think CKs directing perfectly suits his style of writing. Of course he could never direct a Sorkin script, but I bet someone like Fincher could never direct a CK script as well as CK could himself.

I'm not attacking his style of directing. I'm attacking his (obvious lack of) craft. Anyway, like I said earlier, who cares, the show good enough to overcome all of this.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:34:34 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: May 27, 2016, 06:24:42 AM »

Beware, My Lovely (1952) - 8/10. Psycho handyman Robert Ryan menaces isolated widow Ida Lupino, and it's all over too quickly! Man, does Ryan give a performance. Lupino is good too, never less than convincing. And although all the action takes place in a single location, I never felt I was watching a filmed stage play. Best of all, character actions are always plausible. No one does stupid things merely to oblige the plot.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: May 27, 2016, 06:51:34 AM »

The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947) - 8/10. After he adapted Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), Albert Lewin turned to this project, based on a story by Guy de Maupassant. The two films are a natural pair. Both are literary adaptations; both have period settings; both feature protagonists who begin as relative innocents before gradually transforming into monsters. The productions also have cast members in common (George Sanders and Angela Lansbury). Interestingly, they both employ the same optical trick: in the midst of all the black-and-white goings on, there is a sudden insert of a painting in Technicolor. I guess there are more bons mots in Dorian Gray, but Sanders does get a few into Bel Ami as well. Bel Ami ends with a duel, and it is one of most interesting presentations of such an event I have ever seen.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16091 on: May 27, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »

Wonder Boys - 7/10 - Michael Douglas is a Pitt professor/has-been novelist mentoring weirdo prodigy Toby Maguire. Various shenanigans ensue. I enjoyed Michael Chabon's novel and the movie's... okay. It's the kind of rambling, episodic story that works better on page than screen, though the cast (also including Frances McDormand, Rip Torn and Robert Downey Jr.) makes it worthwhile.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: May 27, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »

Louis will be in France for a couple nights this summer, unfortunately I couldn't get a ticket, it was sold out within 5 minutes.
That stinks. He released ticket sales for 5 or 6 shows before he released the whole tour - I saw the e-mail within the first minute, selected 2 tickets for Connecticut (about an hour from me), and got two center seats in the front row. literally the two best seats in the entire theater. it was amazing.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16093 on: May 28, 2016, 04:00:35 AM »

That stinks. He released ticket sales for 5 or 6 shows before he released the whole tour - I saw the e-mail within the first minute, selected 2 tickets for Connecticut (about an hour from me), and got two center seats in the front row. literally the two best seats in the entire theater. it was amazing.

My good friend, screenwriter and former board member Lewis Hawk secured 2 tickets. The little rat. Screw him.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: May 28, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »

Just saw Immortal Beloved (1994) again now.  I'd previously seen it once, about 15 years ago.

Now, after reading a biography of Beethoven, by John Suchet, which I discussed here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7648.msg182837#msg182837 I have been interested in seeing the movie again, even though I know the movie is probably complete bullshit historically. As I mentioned in that post, I have not heard of any Beethoven scholar arguing that that Beethoven's sister-in-law is the Immortal Beloved.

Suchet does briefly mention that the fact that Beethoven hated his sister-in-law so much may make one wonder if perhaps something had gone on between the two of them, and he mentions that after Beethoven won the custody battle for his nephew, he encouraged the boy to call him "Father." But he goes through a number of the theories and arguments that have been made presenting various candidates for the Immortal Beloved, and he never mentions a single word about anyone saying that the sister-in-law is a candidate for being the mysterious Immortal Beloved.

This movie has little historical truth. But it's an enjoyable movie with great music  Smiley Smiley Smiley

BTW, here is a fabulous version of Beethoven's 9th Symphony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJQ32q2k8Uo

Daniel Barenboim conducting the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, at Royal Albert Hall, July 27th 2012. BBC Proms.

Anna Samuil - soprano
Waltraud Meier - mezzo-soprano
Michael König - tenor
René Pape - bass
National Youth Choir of Great Britain

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:14:11 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM