Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:28:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838585 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16125 on: June 06, 2016, 03:30:12 PM »

You know I think you'd actually like Horace & Pete.
Yessss, yesss, yesssss.....

Horace & Pete - Season 1 9/10
RR, fuck you. Fuck. You.
Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W773ZPJhcVw

season 1? thats the end of H&P.

The Lobster (2015) - 6/10
Much more about message and style than characters or story. I liked it, but not much my cup of tea as to how I like my movies nowadays. The second act draaaags and drags and drags.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16126 on: June 06, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »

Yessss, yesss, yesssss.....
 Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W773ZPJhcVw

season 1? thats the end of H&P.

I know, it was just a way to say "the 10 episodes".
Have you listened to this:
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-700-pt-1-2-julia-louis-dreyfus-louis-ck
Best making of ever.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16127 on: June 06, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »

I know, it was just a way to say "the 10 episodes".
Have you listened to this:
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-700-pt-1-2-julia-louis-dreyfus-louis-ck
Best making of ever.
Yeah. Been listening to a lot of Maron lately and listened to this one a week ago. Incredibly thorough and entertaining podcast.

Queen of the Desert (2015) - 3/10
So, so bad. I forgive you, Werner, but don't do it again.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16128 on: June 07, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »

Double Indemnity - 8/10 - 3rd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16129 on: June 07, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »

Falsche Bewegung / Wrong Move [Inauthentic Movement] (1975) - 6/10. Not my favorite Wenders, for which I blame the Peter Handke script. In his commentary Wim takes pains to explain that he didn't change a word Peter's work--big mistake. The characters talk and talk and little of it is interesting. Still, the Robby Muller photography is fab, the north-to-south tour of German locations is fun, Hannah Schygulla never looked lovelier. And it was Nastassja Kinski's first film.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16130 on: June 07, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »

Yes, it is a lesser Wenders film, not that well aged, but with some good scenes though.

Inauthentic Movement?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16131 on: June 07, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »

Well, the English title is "wrong" but I have nothing very satisfactory to replace it with. The film does not depict a single move, its a series of moves, thus "movement." "Wrong" has a number of associations, and thus is vague here. It doesn't mean morally wrong in this case, yet "mistaken" is too light. The English "false" has negative connotations. "Inauthentic" seems to me closest in meaning, although it is highly inelegant. If you have a better suggestion I'd be very glad to hear it.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16132 on: June 07, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done (2009) - 7.75/10
Very underrated Herzog movie that I actually prefer over most of his fiction narrative films. It's a comedy about a schizophrenic who kills his mother - I imagine anyone who mistakes it as a drama / thriller would be sorely disappointed.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16133 on: June 08, 2016, 02:57:08 AM »

Well, the English title is "wrong" but I have nothing very satisfactory to replace it with. The film does not depict a single move, its a series of moves, thus "movement." "Wrong" has a number of associations, and thus is vague here. It doesn't mean morally wrong in this case, yet "mistaken" is too light. The English "false" has negative connotations. "Inauthentic" seems to me closest in meaning, although it is highly inelegant. If you have a better suggestion I'd be very glad to hear it.

I always thought Wrong Move does the job.

Bewegung is also singular, for a series of moves it must have been Falsche Bewegungen.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16134 on: June 08, 2016, 03:01:47 AM »

New York, New York (1977) 3/10

More here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11888.msg183324#msg183324

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16135 on: June 08, 2016, 07:04:05 AM »

I always thought Wrong Move does the job.

Bewegung is also singular, for a series of moves it must have been Falsche Bewegungen.
"Movement" is singular also, it just captures the idea of the film better in my view.

The big problem is with "wrong": the semantic range is so wide that the word becomes misleading. It's clear from what Wenders has said about the film that he sees the main character's quest as wrong-headed. He doesn't achieve the knowledge or insight he hopes to when he starts out. By the end of the film he is unchanged (again, according to Wenders). Perhaps we could say that he has even acted in "bad faith" (to use the expression from existentialism). There has been a lack of authenticity in all his dealings. It would seem that "false" could be applied, but that could be construed to mean that the character has been duplicitous. In fact, he has acted without thinking. So, the only description that seems adequate is "inauthentic" (or should it be "unauthentic"?).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16136 on: June 08, 2016, 07:18:13 AM »

Last year:
Every Thing Will Be Fine (2015) - 8/10. The latest Wenders: sort of a cross between To The Wonder and Boyhood. But in 3D
Now I've seen it in 2D, courtesy of a new Blu. In 3D the film was really dark, but without the glasses everything lightens up. I'm not sure whatever "heightened reality" dividend the 3D provides is worth the cost in luminosity.

A couple things I noticed this time: Patrick Bauchau can't deliver lines convincingly in English. Certain long-time themes of Wenders are interestingly treated in this film, especially the relationships between children and adults. Finally, I like the way the film is constructed more like a novel than a drama. It's nice to depart from the standard 3-act approach.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16137 on: June 09, 2016, 04:37:14 AM »

The 3rd Voice (1960)

Film Noir starring Edmund O'brien, Laraine Day, and Julie London. O'Brien plays an impersonator. His job is to assume the identity of Seattle business tycoon Harry Chapman. The plan is that Chapman is going to be murdered by Marian Forbes (Day) his ex-executive secretary, as soon as he returns to Mexico. O'Brien will also dispose of the body. The plan is to continue the ruse long enough for O'Brien and Day to acquire the possession of $600,000 cash for a real estate deal in Mexico and head to Europe. A few nice twists 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16138 on: June 10, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »

Some Like It Hot - 6/10 - Left me cold.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16139 on: June 10, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »

Some Like It Hot - 6/10 - Left me cold.

These days, that movie would be banned for being insensitive to trannys, or for wondering why a guy would want to be engaged to another guy. The last line of the movie would have to be changed to, "That's perfect!"

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM