Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 09:56:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1079 1080 [1081] 1082 1083 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843644 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16200 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:47 PM »

La Visita (1964) - 7/10. An aging Roman bachelor (François Périer) goes to the country to meet a woman (Sandra Milo) he's been corresponding with. Both are hoping for romance and changed circumstances (she wants to move to the big city; he wants to get away from urban life). Both are on their best behavior and so misrepresent themselves to each other initially. Everything goes horribly wrong, of course, affording director Pietrangeli the chance to pull any number of gags. Nonetheless, we root for the couple, and there is a certain sweetness operating beneath all the goings on.

I remember it more as an 8/10.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16201 on: July 11, 2016, 12:10:23 AM »

A bit of a John Carpenter kick.

Starman - 9/10
Halloween - 8/10
They Live - 8.5/10
The Fog - 7/10

First viewing of all besides Starman.

When you run out of his movies to watch, you can try listening to his sections of "commentary" on the OUATITW DVD. Pure comedy http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11263.0

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16202 on: July 11, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »

I remember it more as an 8/10.
You may be right, your Italian is better than mine. A lot of what's good about the film is verbal.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16203 on: July 13, 2016, 07:07:30 PM »

Lo Scapolo / The Bachelor - 6/10. This almost works. Sordi is funny and there is a lot of female talent on board. Great fashions too.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16204 on: July 14, 2016, 10:09:32 PM »

Lo Scapolo / The Bachelor - 6/10. This almost works. Sordi is funny and there is a lot of female talent on board. Great fashions too.

I doubt it makes his best 30 list.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16205 on: July 15, 2016, 05:04:29 AM »

The Night Stalker (1972) Directed By John Llewellyn Moxey, a very enjoyable vampire hunter flick starring Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak a Las Vegas newspaper reporter. The film co-stars Carol Lynley    Simon Oakland, Claude Akins, Larry Linville and a host of film noir veterans, Ralph Meeker, Charles McGraw, Kent Smith, and Elisha Cook Jr. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16206 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:20 PM »

The Night Stalker (1972) Directed By John Llewellyn Moxey, a very enjoyable vampire hunter flick starring Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak a Las Vegas newspaper reporter.
But in Seattle for this assignment. This was, I believe, the pilot for a pretty interesting TV series.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16207 on: July 15, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »

But in Seattle for this assignment. This was, I believe, the pilot for a pretty interesting TV series.

You're Thinking of The Night Strangler http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069002/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 it's sequel that takes place in Underground Seattle. ;-) 6.5/10

The Night Stalker got the ball rolling http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067490/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_93

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:30:54 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16208 on: July 18, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »

Escape From New York - 7.5/10
2046 - 8/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16209 on: July 19, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »

The Laughing Policeman (1973) An excellent police procedural until the last 20 minutes, when the plot device of solving the case by putting pressure on the culprit it's quite childish (I can't remember if the novel had a better solution). Also, the choice of SF as the locale is not very lucky, I think, as the seedy side of the city which is shown to great effect it would have suited NYC better. Still you have great performances (when I read the Martin Beck cycles, before watching this movie, I actually pictured MB in my mind to be something like Matthau) but it's Dern as the a...e policeman who gets high kudos. Zerbe shows why he can't play boss, and Matt Clark and Clifton James play welcome short appearances. 7\10   
Blu due in October: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19467

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16210 on: July 20, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »

The Night of the Shooting Stars/ La notte di San Lorenzo (1982) – 8/10. In the summer of 1944 a group of people in a Tuscan village can no longer wait to be liberated and go in search of the American soldiers they hope will be their salvation. The journey is very dangerous.

The sins of the Tavianis are many and include: directing men, women and children to overact; using bad sets and models that fool no one; using a cheap-looking electronic effect to do wipes between scenes; commissioning a bombastic score that underlines the action at every point. Most egregious of all are their sins against lighting. Everything is always shot as though it were high noon, even interiors, even the dead of night (high-noon-for-night)! Despite all this, The Night of the Shooting Stars is effective. The real stories, based on the brothers’ boyhood experiences and those of their friends, shine through all the tacky artifice. The plot follows the standard group-dwindles-by-attrition format, yet almost all the deaths come as surprises.  This is very much an ensemble piece, and the Tavianis do a pretty good job of juggling characters and keeping them all (mostly) accounted for. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16211 on: July 21, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »

Monsters, Inc. (2001) - 8.5/10
Fuckin' great.

My Blueberry Nights (2007) - 7.5/10
Not nearly as bad as I  expected. WKW not really a great director of American actors it seems and the dialogue is often pretty bad. Portman's sequence falls short of the cop / bar sequence and the NYC cafe stuff. Some pretty great stuff here though.

Now I've seen every WKW movie, and because I love lists + DJ's criticism of my taste, it'd go something like this:

Really really like / Love:

1. Chungking Express
2. As Tears Go By
3. Days of Being Wild

Really like:

4. 2046

Pretty good:

5. The Grandmaster
6. Fallen Angels
7. My Blueberry Nights
8. In the Mood for Love

Need to re-watch:

9. Ashes of Time

Bad:

10. Happy Together

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:55:56 PM by PowerRR » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16212 on: July 22, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »

The Infiltrator (2016) - 7/10. Bryan Cranston. Not enough for you? How about, Bryan Cranston is a undercover Customs agent trying to take down the Medellín Cartel by posing as a money launderer? Based on a true story. Yeah, it's the true story elements that pull this tale down and undermine its promise. The climax is a fake wedding to which Cranston has invited all his dirtbag buddies. The cops show up and take everybody into custody. That's it. The only suspense is whether Diane Kruger's wedding train is gonna get stepped on. On the whole, though, the story is engagingly told, and there are several interesting framings to admire.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16213 on: July 22, 2016, 08:06:49 PM »

The Rounders (1965) 6/10 Comedy Western with Glen Ford and Henry Fonda.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16214 on: July 23, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »

Modern Romance (1981) - 4/10
Well written and well directed. But, I fucking hate hate hate hate hate Albert Brooks as an actor/comedian. Ever since I first saw him in Taxi Driver. He's contemptible. He is much better in later roles - Drive, This Is 40, Most Violent Year, etc....but I can't stand him in his younger years.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:02:29 AM by PowerRR » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1079 1080 [1081] 1082 1083 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM