Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 10:30:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768750 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16215 on: July 23, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »

Modern Romance (1981) - 4/10
Well written and well directed. But, I fucking hate hate hate hate hate Albert Brooks as an actor/comedian. Ever since I first saw him in Taxi Driver. He's contemptible. He is much better in later roles - Drive, This Is 40, Most Violent Year, etc....but I can't stand him in his younger years.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:02:29 AM by PowerRR » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16216 on: July 23, 2016, 08:23:35 AM »

Hey, he was ok in Taxi Driver. You're supposed to hate him.

He's overacting in Drive but Ron Perlman beats (euphemism) him on his game so you just don't notice it as much.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:25:16 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16217 on: July 23, 2016, 10:29:05 AM »

Hey, he was ok in Taxi Driver. You're supposed to hate him.

He's overacting in Drive but Ron Perlman beats (euphemism) him on his game so you just don't notice it as much.
i don't think he's a bad actor, I just don't like him. Voice, mannerisms, appearance, his dumb face.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16218 on: July 23, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »

Now I've seen every WKW movie, and because I love lists + DJ's criticism of my taste, it'd go something like this:

Really really like / Love:

1. Chungking Express
2. As Tears Go By
3. Days of Being Wild

Really like:

4. 2046

Pretty good:

5. The Grandmaster
6. Fallen Angels
7. My Blueberry Nights
8. In the Mood for Love

Need to re-watch:

9. Ashes of Time

Bad:

10. Happy Together
Every film? Where's "The Hand" from the anthology movie Eros?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16219 on: July 23, 2016, 08:43:13 PM »

Every film? Where's "The Hand" from the anthology movie Eros?
suck it dj

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16220 on: July 26, 2016, 10:49:57 PM »

Marked Woman (1937) 6.5/10

Not one of Bette Davis's best performances, nor Humphrey Bogart's.

Davis plays a "hostess" at a clip joint nightclub run by a gangster; Bogart is a crusading DA that is trying to clean up the town. After the gang commits a murder, Bogie tries the hostesses to testify against their boss, they refuse to, out of fear for their lives and fear for their jobs; also, by testifying, they'd be announcing that they are hostesses, which they don't want the world to know, it's considered immoral. Also, there would be a problem of the DAusing as witnesses these women of ill repute, etc. (Bear in mind that in the movie, they really are merely hostesses not whores; of course, the real-life story it's based on, of course involved whores.)
Though the movie has the opening disclaimer that the story is fictitious, not based on any real characters, etc., it is obviously based on crusading DA Thomas Dewey and gangster Lucky Luciano.

The Luciano character is played by Eduardo Ciannelli, good performance. Though he is Italian and has an Italian accent, the character in the movie is named Johnny Vanning!

As often happens in these late-30's films, once the Production Code was enforced, the gangster films have to be shown from the law enforcement side, preaching the evils of crime, rather than allowing us to simply delight in the exploits of the criminals in the pre-Code films.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:07:01 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16221 on: July 26, 2016, 11:06:02 PM »

Twelve O'Clock High 6/10 (1949)

For the synopsis I will quote from wikipedia, slightly edited

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_O%27Clock_High

"Twelve O'Clock High is a 1949 American war film about aircrews in the United States Army's Eighth Air Force who flew daylight bombing missions against Nazi Germany and occupied France during the early days of American involvement in World War II, including a thinly disguised version of the notorious Black Thursday strike against Schweinfurt.

1942, when having recently arrived and been thrown into action, the 918th had gained the reputation of a "hard luck group" suffering from poor morale. One reason is the strategy of daylight precision bombing of German targets and the corresponding losses to anti-aircraft fire and enemy aircraft. The commander, Colonel Keith Davenport (Gary Merrill), has become too close to his men to instill discipline. When he is ordered to fly a mission at low altitude to increase accuracy, Davenport rushes to headquarters and confronts his friend, Brigadier General Frank Savage (Gregory Peck) the Assistant Chief of Staff for Operations. His behavior prompts Savage to go to the commanding general of VIII Bomber Command (Millard Mitchell) and tell him that that he feels Davenport may not be fit to command. Following a disastrous mission in which the 918th loses seven bombers, General Pritchard relieves Davenport of command and the 918th is given to Savage.

In order to address discipline problems, Savage deals with everyone so harshly that the men begin to detest him. Savage fires Lieutenant Colonel Ben Gately (Hugh Marlowe), the popular Air Exec, busting him down to an airplane commander and replaces him with the rough-and-ready Major Cobb, a superb combat leader. Upset by the contrast of Savage's stern leadership with Davenport's easygoing ways, all of the 918th Squadron pilots apply for transfers. Savage asks the Group Adjutant, Major Stovall, to delay processing their applications to buy him some time. A former pilot during World War I and an attorney in civilian life between the wars, Stovall knows how to use organizational "red tape” to his advantage. When the 918th resumes combat flying with greater success after hasty refresher training, the men begin to change their minds, especially after Savage leads them on a mission in which the 918th is the only group to bomb the target and have all of the aircraft return. Savage also acquires a surrogate son in Lieutenant Jesse Bishop (Robert Patten), a Medal of Honor recipient who is Savage's eyes and ears among the combat aircrews.

Word gets around that Pritchard personally reprimanded Savage for his claim of "radio malfunction" as an excuse to ignore the recall order but rather than incurring any form of punishment for this disobedience, Savage persuades Pritchard to recommend the group for a Distinguished Unit Citation. When the Inspector General arrives to investigate the unrest, Savage is packing ready to go but the pilots withdraw their requests to transfer. Savage also softens his attitude towards the men as he becomes more closely involved with them. At the same time, Savage and Gately are reconciled after the general learns Gately flew three missions with a fractured vertebra he received when he was forced to ditch his bomber, the Leper Colony, in the English Channel due to battle damage."

So Gregory Peck is forced to whip these undisciplined men into shape, and he does, and they become a great crew with great camaraderie and achieve great success.

To me, the problem is that Peck is too much of a nice guy to believable as an army tough-ass. I know, maybe you'll feel that that's the point - he is really not a tough-ass, but has to act like one to whip his men into shape - but for me, it just, whatever, there was no real menace. I kept thinking of Henry Fonda's Colonel Thursday from Fort Apache is what was needed here. That alone is a major detriment to the movie.

The movie uses some real air footage shot during the war, by both the allied forces as well as by the fucking Luftwaffe (I hope it showed them all blowing up and dying in little pieces.

Gregory Peck was born to play Atticus Finch, the righteous, strong good guy. He even played some Western gunslingers, very very well - maybe he had that ability to play the black hat - or at least gray hat - very well in the Western. But in the non-Western movie world, neh, he can't play the tough-ass. I kept thinking over and over: THis could have been such a great watch if we had had Colonel Thursday.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16222 on: July 26, 2016, 11:10:20 PM »

Bringing Out the Dead (1999) 6/10

More here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11888.msg184088#msg184088

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16223 on: July 26, 2016, 11:17:17 PM »

Hour of the Gun (1967) 6/10

more here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1885.msg184085#msg184085

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16224 on: July 28, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »

Gremlins (1984) - 8.5/10
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990) - 8/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16225 on: July 29, 2016, 04:21:19 AM »

Paris, Texas 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16226 on: July 29, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

Toni Erdmann - Maren Ade

Film about a father named Winfried Conradi who wants to improve the life of his corporate consultant daughter by meeting her and her private and business relations as an ugly alter ego named Toni Erdmann. After a while Ines begins to accept him in his Toni role disturbing her cold world.
Complex film about a complex relation in a more puzzling than complex world. Ade's very serious film is pretty funny. 9/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16227 on: July 30, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »

Triple Agent (2004) - 7/10. Rohmer does an espionage film, but it's still a Rohmer film: no car chases, no on-screen murders, just lots of chat. At one point there's an abduction, but we never see it, one character relates the event to another after the fact. This character even uses a visual aid that stands in for an automobile. He then describes a man's movements in relationship to the car by using two fingers to represent the man walking . . . Hah!

The big reading event this summer is the newly translated Rohmer biography and by way of preparation I got out my 25 film box set last night to see if there was anything I hadn't seen yet. This was the one Rohmer feature I had neglected. Now I'm ready for the bio (which amazon assures me will arrive Monday).

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16228 on: July 31, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »

Star Trek Beyond (2016) - 5/10
I really liked the first two of these reboots - very solid, fun, Hollywood action/adventure flicks. This one just felt empty. I really don't have an opinion on it or any feelings toward it, which may be worse than negative feedback.

Cafe Society (2016) - 7.5/10
This year's Woody Allen movie is a Woody Allen movie!

Cafe Society 7/10
Hey, a good Woody Allen film. It's been a while. For those who still doubted Jesse Eisenberg and Stewart were great actors, you're proved wrong once more.
Side note: wide angle photography suits Woody Allen's (lack of) style amazingly well.
I thought a lot of his recent ones like Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine, and Irrational Man were just as good if not better than Cafe Society. Couldn't stand Eisenberg's character but I think that's the point. Good actor. Stewart probably had the best performance in the movie.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:40:48 PM by PowerRR » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16229 on: August 01, 2016, 02:46:01 AM »

Moderato Cantabile (1960) 7/10. From a story by Marguerite Duras. Directed by Peter Brook, it stars Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jeanne Moreau (as a blonde!). It's astounding that films like this were once made routinely. Everything today is made for children. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QzQxzKRwlE
Youtube took it down. So I'm going with Drink tomorrow to watch this at Film Forum. It will be nice to see it projected in 35mm.

Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM