Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 02:00:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763067 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16230 on: August 01, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »

The Place Beyond the Pines (2011) - 5.5/10
Dumb plot and horrible pacing somewhat disguised by good performances and half-decent direction. Definitely a step down for Cianfrance from Blue Valentine.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16231 on: August 02, 2016, 08:17:20 AM »

Moderato Cantabile (1960) 7/10. From a story by Marguerite Duras. Directed by Peter Brook, it stars Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jeanne Moreau (as a blonde!). It's astounding that films like this were once made routinely. Everything today is made for children.
Enjoyed the screening of this immensely, Drink not so much (Look, look, a b&w film in 'scope, Drink! They DO exist!). Drink had an objection to a character's motivation (or lack of same) at the end of the picture. Drink has something of point, but I don't find it a big deal. The character has (apparently) a change of heart, for no good reason, but he is not the central character; we spend almost all the time with the other character, seeing things from her point of view. It may have made more sense to see a scene that triggers the change of heart, but that might have meant leaving the central character which might have destroyed the mood of obsession that attends her. It is enough for me that I can imagine such a scene. The character's action remain plausible. Anyway, dramatically, the end of the film works fine.

This film was directed by Peter Brook, who is not known for cinema, but for theater. It's clear that Brook saw Hiroshima Mon Amour before filming: there's a lot of Resnais in this.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16232 on: August 02, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »

A Red River end in a Resnais film then?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16233 on: August 04, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »

For Drink, yeah. The end didn't bother me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16234 on: August 04, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »

Don't get me wrong - it's not like it is a terrible film. But it wasn't just the end that bothered me. Seemed to be very repetitive; lotsa scenes of them meeting and meeting and meeting again ... I'll give it a 6.5/10.

I love Jeanne Moreau. One of my all-time favorite movie faces.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16235 on: August 04, 2016, 09:53:23 PM »

George Wallace (1997)

This was a TV movie, made for TNT; I just saw it for the first time, on TCM.

It's more than three hours long, and very good. I give it an 8/10
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119189/
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace_(film)

directed by John Frankenheimer, with a spectacular Gary Sinise in the title role.

The movie won a bunch of TV awards http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119189/awards?ref_=tt_awd

I just knew the name George Wallace as the segregationist governor of Alabama during a time of racial tensions, but I did not know the whole story behind it - how he was initially not a segregationist, but later became a segregationist for political reasons, was crippled in an attempted suicide, and then later expressed regret for his segregationist policies. Now I do.

I see here an article from the NY Times, written around the time of the movie's release, about the Wallace family objecting to two scenes in the movie http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/15/us/a-movie-on-his-life-enrages-george-wallace.html?pagewanted=all

one of the scenes is of Wallace's black butler contemplating killing Wallace; the other is of Wallace trying to commit suicide by rolling his wheelchair off the porch of an old mentor whom Wallace had turned his back on years earlier for political reasons and now refuses to see Wallace when Wallace comes to visit him.

In the movie as I saw it on TCM, there is a note in the beginning that while the movie was generally based on a book by Marshall Frady, some scenes were added for dramatic reasons. And then, at the end of the movie, there is a note that the character of the black butler was a fictional character added for the sake of showing the mood/feeling of the times, etc. I am assuming that these notes were added to the beginning and end of the movie because of the objections to the script mentioned in the above NY Times article.

Anyway, Sinise, as I mentioned, is incredible as Wallace. Angelina Jolie is generally very good as Wallace's second wife - though some lines are delivered badly in her final scene. There are also good performances by the actors who play Wallace's political honchos.

Unfortunately, Joe Don Baker is not great as Big Jim Folsom - the way Baker speaks her, slurring or swallowing his words, is impossible to understand; I have no idea if the real Folsom spoke that way.

One problem I have with the script: we see why Wallace becomes a segregationist - when he realizes that's the popular political view - but we never see why he comes to regret  his segregationist policies later in life. You just see him, in a scene toward the end of the film, going into Martin Luther King's former church and giving what seems to be a very heartfelt apology; but it seems to me to sort of come out of nowhere, there's no satisfactory scene that shows the transformation happening.

But overall, a very good movie. Gary Sinise, SPECTACULAR.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16236 on: August 09, 2016, 04:28:42 AM »

Star Trek Beyond (2016) - 5/10
I really liked the first two of these reboots - very solid, fun, Hollywood action/adventure flicks. This one just felt empty. I really don't have an opinion on it or any feelings toward it, which may be worse than negative feedback.

Cafe Society (2016) - 7.5/10
This year's Woody Allen movie is a Woody Allen movie!
I thought a lot of his recent ones like Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine, and Irrational Man were just as good if not better than Cafe Society. Couldn't stand Eisenberg's character but I think that's the point. Good actor. Stewart probably had the best performance in the movie.

I really don't like Midnight in Paris. The emptiness of the movie ruins all the "charm" it could have had. Blue Jasmin was ok but has no rewatch value (as in: I couldn't watch it for more than a few minutes the second time) and I haven't seen Irrational Man.

Star Trek films suck and they forgot what was good inStar Trek decades ago. There is more Star Trek in Interstellar than in all the recent Star Treks films combined.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #16237 on: August 09, 2016, 11:27:50 AM »

I really don't like Midnight in Paris. The emptiness of the movie ruins all the "charm" it could have had. Blue Jasmin was ok but has no rewatch value (as in: I couldn't watch it for more than a few minutes the second time) and I haven't seen Irrational Man.
I saw Irrational Man like two months ago. I think it belongs in the Top 3 of Allen films in this millennium (the others being probably Match Point and Vicky Christina Barcelona).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16238 on: August 09, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »

Cassandra's Dream!

Anyway, I really want to watch IM.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #16239 on: August 10, 2016, 07:33:58 AM »

Cassandra's Dream!
Come to think of it, I guess I haven't seen it  Huh

Anyway, here's some other films I've watched during the summer:

La promesse (1996) - 8/10
Hail Caesar (2016) - 6/10
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) - 8/10
Midnight Special (2016) - 6.5/10
Juvenile Court (1973) - 8/10
Welfare (1975) - 8/10
Knight of Cups (2015) - 5/10
Cape Fear (1962) - 6/10
The Verdict (1982) - 6/10
The Desperate Hours (1955) - 8/10
Robert. A Fortunate Life (1999) - 8/10
Victoria (2015) - 6.5/10
Statues Also Die (1953) - 7/10
National Gallery (2015) - 7/10
Neon Demon (2016) - 6.5/10

Welfare, Robert. A Fortunate Life and Statues Also Die are available on YouTube.

So I've seen many good films this summer but not yet anything to blow me away.

EDIT:
Oh, I did see also Hospital (1970), Nói albinói (2003) and The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki (2016) which all are 9/10!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:36:21 AM by moviesceleton » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16240 on: August 14, 2016, 10:10:06 PM »

Cyd Charisse Day on Turner!

It's Always Fair Weather (1955) - 6/10. Three army buddies reunite after 10 years and find they are now very different people. This is a musical without any memorable songs. It does have one very impressive routine, though, with Gene Kelley doing a tap dance in roller skates. Watching the climax, I realized that My Favorite Year stole the thing whole cloth for its ending.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16241 on: August 22, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »

Hitchcock/Truffaut (2015) - 8/10. The famous interview book gets an audio-visual accompaniment, plus commentary on Hitchcock from the following talking heads: Martin Scorsese, David Fincher, Arnaud Desplechin, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Wes Anderson, James Gray, Olivier Assayas, Richard Linklater, Peter Bogdanovich and Paul Schrader. We hear excerpts from the tapes that provided the basis for the book while watching stills and clips. The film is much too short for all the material it needs to cover (I'm hoping a home video version will include additional material), so it leap-frogs over most of the films to concentrate on The Wrong Man, Vertigo, and Psycho. There's a nice coda that provides insight into the photography session that produced the photographs that went with the book (which were "directed" by Hitch).

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16242 on: August 22, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »

Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World (2016) - 7.5/10
Will elaborate more if requested

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16243 on: August 22, 2016, 11:27:43 PM »

Five For Hell (1969) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-qxbCQfPhk

AC has this covered already, and I can't do better than his review from 2007, so:
5 PER L'INFERNO -FIVE FOR HELL (1969)

Gianni Garko, Klaus Kinski, Margaret Lee, Aldo Canti, Sal Borgese

Garko plays Lt. Hoffmann who is the leader of a rag tag group of military misfits who are assigned to steal "PLAN K" which is hidden inside a Nazi fortress lorded over by Col. Hans Mueller (Kinski).

That's the plot more or less. Parolini uses the same troupe of performers he would use in his SABATA films. He seems to have a fascination with acrobats as the 5 soldiers carry around small trampolines for Canti (who was the acrobatic Indian in SABATA, here he is an acrobatic soldier) to jump over walls and high tension fences. Parolini, along with the other members of the cast all appear to be having a great time with this one as the film possesses, aside from a couple of scenes, a light hearted tone. The film itself reminds me of KELLY'S HEROES which came out the following year.

Garko is convincing as Lt. Hoffmann who alternates between a stern military leader and the carefree antics of his men when he uses baseballs to subdue the enemy and even explosives hidden inside the balls at times.

Kinski must have enjoyed this role as he is much more "alive" here than in many of the spaghetti westerns he appeared in. He is a pleasure to watch and the role is somewhat biographical as he spends much of the screen time trying to bed down the stunning Margaret Lee who plays an undercover agent within the Nazi stronghold. I believe he dubbed his own voice here as it sounds like him.

Canti, as mentioned above, gets to show off his acrobatic skills as well as dancing(!) here and gets to speak as opposed to his silent Indian from SABATA.

Borgese shines also as Al who, unlike the rest of the group, plays an Italian. Borgese is a good character actor who has popped up in numerous spags, polizia thrillers and Bud and Terence movies.

The member they call "Chicken" (I don't remember his name) would later play sleazy bad guys in italian action movies but plays a likeable guy here.

The other member whose name I don't know, looks like he stepped out of an Italian peplum movie.

Margaret Lee...I can only say she's stunningly beautiful. It's a shame you are teased on several occassions with naked frame but you never see it. I wouldn't doubt if Kinski didn't claim her as one of his MANY sexual conquests as the two did a handful of movies together.

Overall it's not a bad film amd it's not a good one either but it is competently shot, light touches of comedy, lots of action, explosions and machine gun battles to recommend it. If you are a fan of either Garko or Kinski you should check it out to see them play characters different from the westerns they were doing around this time. A good time can be had here with the right frame of mind. An entertaining 95 minutes that is far better than the glut of awful spaghetti westerns that were coming throughout the 70s.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16244 on: August 23, 2016, 03:27:00 AM »

Le Deuxieme Souffle (1966) 8/10 first time watched, don't know how I missed it all these years.

I doubt anybody here got the guts to watch the remake:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795370/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM