Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:17:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758893 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16335 on: September 25, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »

Yeaaaaaaaaaah it doesn't feel like a 7...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #16336 on: September 25, 2016, 08:44:04 AM »

Spartacus, but then, it's actually more a Kirk Douglas film.

I like Spartacusser; I even have the soundtrack LP !  

However, if up to me, I would've shortened the Roman politics scenes.  And included nudity scenes with Virinia.

Back to topic of "last movie" viewed, we saw 2016 Magnificent Seven last night, was OK, enjoyable.  For me - being old - I was a little kid when Magnificent Seven was made in 1960, and my dad loved westerns.  This was the film that really got me into film music, for sure.  In fact, in 1967 "Return of the Seven" (essentially the same music, no Magnificent Seven soundtrack produced) was my first LP or record ever, followed in 1968 by GBU.  Only decades later was Magnificent Seven original soundtrack released on CD, and I have that as well.  Mrs. Cusser said last night that she wants to view 1960 Magnificent Seven again (I have the DVD, good stories by Eli on that); that has so many classic parts I can't list nearly a fraction of them: Eli with many Tuco mannerisms, comment about no religion because candlesticks were brass ("we took them too"), Coburn and Bronson, Yul and Steve.  Yes, I still wish they had to sneak up on guys to get weapons for the final attack in that, rather then Calvera returning their guns....my opinion !

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:53:10 AM by Cusser » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16337 on: September 25, 2016, 01:09:54 PM »

Cat People (1942) - 8/10. A man marries on impulse, then thinks better of it. Part of the problem is that the guy's new wife thinks she's a panther. The husband ends up happy to go along with her delusion because it gives him the cover he needs to--heh--cat around with a female co-worker. He tries passing his wife on to a horny headshrinker, but she turns out to be violently opposed to swapping. Typical mid-century critique of Patriarchy, but with better black levels. The new Criterion blu looks superb.

Val Lewton: Man in the Shadows (2007) 10/10. Feature length documentary by Kent Jones (with Scorsese narration), originally shown on TCM, I believe, but now packaged with the Cat People blu. Good overview of Lewton's entire professional life, not just his RKO years. It's 77 minutes, 4 minutes longer than Cat People.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: September 25, 2016, 06:19:28 PM »

Val Lewton: Man in the Shadows (2007) 10/10. Feature length documentary by Kent Jones (with Scorsese narration), originally shown on TCM, I believe, but now packaged with the Cat People blu. Good overview of Lewton's entire professional life, not just his RKO years. It's 77 minutes, 4 minutes longer than Cat People.
[/quote]

agree excellent.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16339 on: September 25, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »

Hope you have all been having fun watching movies. I haven't watched anything lately. Have been covering a murder trial in Brooklyn for the newspaper I am an editor and writer for. Been working crazy days. Jury is deliberating now; I hope a verdict will be reached soon. Among other positives, I'll be able to watch movies and post here again  Smiley It's a very sad story - the victim had a wife and seven children and nine siblings; he apparently was accidentally killed in a botched kidnapping/attempted robbery. But the charge is murder, due to the "felony murder rule" (if you commit certain felonies and someone dies in the process, you can be charged with murder). I have gotten close with the family during the trial. Heartbreaking story. Professionally, I have enjoyed it more than perhaps anything I have ever done.

I hope for the family's sake that a verdict will be reached tomorrow; they are obviously going crazy not knowing what will happen.

As always, even when I am unable to post on the SLWB, I check it several times every day  Smiley

DJ, when this trial is over, we better get a big fat steak.

n_l, I am jealous of you. Hope you enjoyed the concert!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:20:51 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16340 on: September 26, 2016, 05:51:51 AM »

DJ, when this trial is over, we better get a big fat steak.
You're on.

Le streghe / The Witches (1967) - 4/10. Five comic vignettes, each starring Silvana Mangano. Some of the humor is quite broad. The best story is the first one, directed by Visconti, about an international model/film star attending a party. The usual comments on fame and celebrity attend, but everything is presented well, and the plot kept me guessing. The ending works well. The long middle section is Pasolini's homage to Chaplin: I don't even have much interest in the original; imitations leave me cold. It had a couple gags that made me laugh, though. There are two very short throwaways: the better of the two was a parody of Sicilian revenge films. It works because its so short. The final piece, the one with Eastwood, is a single joke repeated endlessly.   

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16341 on: September 26, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »

The long trial is over. Defendant is guilty of kidnapping and murder.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: September 27, 2016, 06:16:35 AM »

Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind) (2016) - 10/10. King Crimson live in Japan (Takamatsu) on their 2015 tour. Great set list, great performances (3 drummers!). Robert Fripp: "The presence of cameras and cameramen introduces a fourth intrusive element into the relationship between the artist, the music and the audience. . . . Our solution was to return to the concept of "Bootleg TV" and prioritise the music and the performance rather than the pictures. We embedded a single cameraman . . . and he filmed every night with a series of cameras hidden discreetly on the stage where they would intrude on neither artist nor audience. The compromise is thus in the visuals and not in the music." The cameras used, whatever they were, yielded a soft image that has to be gotten used to. The editing of the images is superb: superimposition is used liberally, so that we are able to see the band as a whole performing as well as focusing on soloists simultaneously. It isn't pretty, but as a means of revealing who is doing what during the concert, it works really well.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: September 28, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »

Kamikaze '89 (1982) - 7/10. Rainer Werner Fassbinder IS Polizeileutnant Jansen, supercop in the future world of 1989. A bomb scare at the HQ of The Combine brings Jansen into a case where he's not wanted. Then there is a "premature death" (in 1989 there is no longer such a thing as murder or suicide). Jansen, in his leopard-skin suit, carrying his leopard-skin-handled revolver, begins a series of interviews with the bomb-scare suspects. This leads him to Franco Nero, who explains things. There are gun battles, also a car chase, perhaps a resolution. Fassbinder is in every scene. Tangerine Dream supplied some of the music. The film was directed by Wolf Gremm.

Or was it? "Gremm is the credited director of Kamikaze '89, though Fassbinder biographer Robert Katz--who'd done a polish on the film's original screenplay--states that Rainer was to some extent directing himself. . . . He also brought several members of his repertory cast and crew along with him. The film was shot by Alexanderplatz cinematographer Xaver Schwarzenberger." [From the booklet that accompanies the new Blu from Film Movement].  Add to this the fact that the film is very unlike the other films Gremm made. It plays at times like a parody of a Fassbinder film--there's one shot where Jansen circles a suspect clockwise whilst the camera moves around the pair anti-clockwise. Visual humor abounds.

I hadn't seen the film since it first came out, and it holds up well. The Blu looks really good. Included is a documentary about the last year of Fassbinder's life, which includes lots of behind-the-scenes footage of Kamikaze and Fassbinder's Querelle. There's also a vanity project documenting Gremm's fight with cancer (which he eventually lost) which ends up being fairly compelling.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #16344 on: September 28, 2016, 09:23:55 AM »

Five Came Back (1939).  Plane has trouble, goes down in South American jungle, 3 crew and 9 passengers.  Somehow they get one engine working and trees cleared to make a runway before the natives arrive to kill them, but after they lighten the plane only 5 can return because of weight limitations.  I would've removed the seats too and taken more back....but that's me.

Lucille Ball in straight role, John Carradine, lots of smoking, interesting to see the super-formal ways folks dressed, and the complete lax attitudes towards security, the wooden steps they carried out for folks to board the plane.  Remade later as Back from Eternity by same director John Farrow.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: September 28, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »

I would've removed the seats too and taken more back....but that's me.
Such an eccentric fellow!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16346 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:11 AM »

Valley of the Dolls (1967) - 10/10; CC Blu PQ: 10/10. The 1080p transfer of the year.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16347 on: September 29, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »

MARTIN SCORSESE PRESENTS MASTERPIECES OF POLISH CINEMA

Night Train (1959) - 7/10. One of those Grand-Hotel-on-wheels type of stories. It's a holiday weekend, and everyone is off to the seaside. We are introduced to our cast of characters: a middle-aged man in sunglasses who wants to be alone; a married woman on the make and her lawyer husband; a bottle-blonde in between unhappy love affairs; the young man pursuing the blonde (played by Pretty Boy from Ashes and Diamonds); a sailor in permanent chat-up mode and the object of his interest; various and sundry other passengers; male and female railroad employees who may or may not be attracted to each other. Their paths temporarily intertwine and all are changed by the experience. Just to make things even more exciting, the newspaper has a story about a fugitive murderer  . . . later the train makes an unscheduled stop, and the State Police come on board. They aren't smiling.

The b&w photography is fantastic. The camera moves a lot at the beginning and end of the journey; less so when everyone is crammed in compartments and corridors. But everything is stunningly beautiful. The restoration must have been years in the making: I can't believe prints of this ever looked this good. I hope this will soon be available in 1080p.

Boxes 1 and 2 are now out (and sold out). Box 3 is supposed to follow soon. I just sampled Night Train and it looks very good.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16348 on: September 30, 2016, 06:55:00 AM »

MARTIN SCORSESE PRESENTS MASTERPIECES OF POLISH CINEMA.

The orgy has begun.

Ostatni dzien lata / The Last Day of Summer (1958) – 7/10. A man, a woman, and a beach. Is this a film or an hour-long actors’ exercise? We may never know, but the beach is appealing and I may want to re-visit it.

Niewinni czarodzieje / Innocent Sorcerers (1960) – 8/10. A Polish John and Mary, which is pretty good considering John and Mary wouldn’t be made for another 9 years. The picture includes a great jazz score and a cameo by Roman Polanski. Could the American film actually be a remake of the Polish? Hmm, now that I think of it, the casting of Mia Farrow as Mary may have come about because of her resemblance to the pixyish Krystyna Stypulkowska (a real charmer).

Iluminacja / The Illumination (1973) 10/10. A young man enters a university physics program but is unable to decide what to specialize in. He has a love affair that ends unhappily and so goes mountain climbing. He meets another girl: they get married and start a family. To support his family the young man puts his studies on hold and gets a series of dead-end jobs. After a friend dies he goes in search of the meaning of life. He visits a monastery. He returns to his wife, then to the university and gets his diploma. He is accepted into a doctoral program that includes a decent stipend. Just when things are looking up he has a health scare.

The recitation of the plot doesn’t do the film justice. Nothing is presented as it would be in a regular feature. Melodrama is minimized; instead, story points are provided to allow ideas to come to the fore. Polish intellectuals make cameos to spout provocations and/or truisms. It is as though an essay film had been combined with a feature. There’s even a talking head who shows up at the beginning to define the meaning of the title. The best thing about the movie is its pace—no dawdling allowed! Everything is accomplished in 90 minutes. A film unlike any other.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16349 on: September 30, 2016, 07:13:57 AM »

I saw Illumination eons ago, probably the only Zanussi I liked.

Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM