Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 07:48:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1837105 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16365 on: October 08, 2016, 07:50:31 AM »

Ziemia obiecana / The Promised Land (1975) - 6/10. In Lodz at the beginning of the 20th Century, three young friends--a German, a Jew, and a Polish nobleman--go into business together and build a factory. Shit happens. This nearly-3-hour film has a certain epic sweep, but it has problems. First, Wajda--and/or his DP--doesn't know how to light a picture. Or rather, he knows only one way to light it, and uses that way throughout (factory floor, palatial manor, hovel, middle-of-the-forest--they all receive the same hard light treatment). The bigger problem, though, is with the story. The three principals are not very likeable; in fact, they are corrupt schemers from the get-go. And not particularly charming schemers, either. Why should we care about them? And the people they move among are all stereotypes. Aging parent set in his ways? Check. Clueless and bland fiancée? Check. Vulgar mistress? Check. Grasping Jewish moneylenders? Check and double-check. The film has two saving graces. There's a lot of plot to get through and the movie doesn't dawdle. And the ending, which features an unexplained time-jump (probably to make the source material more manageable), is a surprise and a good one. But I probably won't be revisiting this title anytime in the next decade.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16366 on: October 08, 2016, 10:23:17 PM »

Her tits aren't bad (or weren't, back in '69). Shame she's always had the face of a horse.

UPDATE: You may be thinking of Vanessa Redgrave, who took off her top in Blow-up. There was nothing there (which fit with the theme of the film).

So you think I can't tell VR or JB from GJ? And Antonioni from whatever I saw featuring GJ?  Angry

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16367 on: October 09, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »

Pharaoh / Faraon (1966) 5/10. Ramses XIII ascends the throne and wants to dispense with the priests of Osiris who are the bureaucrats who really run Egypt. He gets an argument. Is it a metaphor for Polish politics? Who cares? Some nice costumes and haircuts, a bit of intrigue, lots of sand, bronzed actors, the pyramids, some music that sounds too modern.  It goes on too long.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:41:05 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16368 on: October 09, 2016, 12:23:25 PM »

Pharoah / Faraon (1966) 5/10. Ramses XIII ascends the throne and wants to dispense with the priests of Osiris who are the bureaucrats who really run Egypt. He gets an argument. Is it a metaphor for Polish politics? Who cares? Some nice costumes and haircuts, a bit of intrigue, lots of sand, bronzed actors, the pyramids, some music that sounds too modern.  It goes on too long.

At least an 8/10 for me. It's definitely better than all these Hollywood would-be epics of the 50s and early 60s. Really all.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16369 on: October 09, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »

At least an 8/10 for me. It's definitely better than all these Hollywood would-be epics of the 50s and early 60s. Really all.
Not better than El Cid. Not better than The Fall of the Roman Empire.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16370 on: October 09, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »

Not better than El Cid. Not better than The Fall of the Roman Empire.

I said all.
In both cases much better. Both are 6/10, the Cid maybe less. Still quite good in the meager Ben Hur country

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16371 on: October 09, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »

Badlands - 9/10
Days of Heaven - 9/10
The Thin Red Line - 8.5/10
The New World - 7.5/10
The Tree of Life - 10/10
To the Wonder - 8/10
Knight of Cups - 6.5/10
Voyage of Time - 8/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16372 on: October 09, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »

I said all.
In both cases much better. Both are 6/10, the Cid maybe less. Still quite good in the meager Ben Hur country
There's a reason why I don't listen to you. It's because you are totally batshit crazy.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16373 on: October 09, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »

There's a reason why I don't listen to you. It's because you are totally batshit crazy.

Actually not totally ...

From a sane point of view The Fall of the Roman Empire is better than most of the other Hollywood peplums, but it has still enough of the same flaws all these movies had. Not a match for any Mann western (before Cimarron that is).

And Billy el Cid? Too much heavy handed melodramatic stuff, and no chemistry between Heston and La Loren. None of Mann's later films does really work for me.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 03:37:29 PM by stanton » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16374 on: October 09, 2016, 04:19:53 PM »

And Billy el Cid? Too much heavy handed melodramatic stuff, and no chemistry between Heston and La Loren.
No chemistry between Heston and Loren? We're comparing this with Pharaoh, right? Where are the characters in Pharaoh who exude chemistry?

El Cid has exciting battle scenes. It has intrigue that we can actually get our heads around. It has landscapes and castles. It has, at times, breathtaking photography. It has a swelling Miklós Rózsa score. It has a way-cool ending. Pharaoh has none of these things.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16375 on: October 10, 2016, 04:05:14 AM »

It's Only the End of the World (Xavier Dolan, 2016) 5/10

It's a bad and boring film. The actors aren't greatly directed and the dialogues are as empty as it gets. Then again, as often with Dolan, it's (often) as fascinating as it is irritating: it looks like a high end student film made by somebody who's gonna make a couple of masterpieces when/if he grows up (which isn't bound to happen in Dolan's case as long as he insist on doing everything by himself from costumes to editing. Well at least he didn't write this one from scratch). Meanwhile, there is a lot of stuff other filmmakers can steal.

So the film is exactly as good/bad as its premises: it's the story of a dysfunctional family that is told as a western. The characters are voluntarily written as archetypes, emptied from every single possible detail. As you can imagine, the family part is stupid, the western part is cool.

All in all, some good moments, 2 absolutely great scenes toward the end (the build up and the big showdown), boring stuff all over the rest.

Also: cool grading, overuse of ultra shallow depth of field, too many close ups, Vincent Cassel is aging greatly.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:08:08 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16376 on: October 10, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »

Man of Iron (1981) - 7/10. Not as good as Man of Marble.

Well, that pretty much takes care of MARTIN SCORSESE PRESENTS MASTERPIECES OF POLISH CINEMA, boxes 1 and 2. There are a couple more films by Za-Snooozzzzzi still in box 1, but I'll skip them. I'm not sure if I'll go for box 3 when it appears.

Anyway, onward! Tomorrow two on blu by Kitano are due to drop: Violent Cop and Boiling Point. I'm very much looking forward to those.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16377 on: October 10, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »

Anyway, onward! Tomorrow two on blu by Kitano are due to drop: Violent Cop and Boiling Point. I'm very much looking forward to those.

I've been waiting for those as well but what a shame about the artwork.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16378 on: October 10, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »

And the price! I think I may have to throw the artwork away--it's beyond hideous. They couldn't have given us reversible covers with some original poster art or something? Those transfers had better be stellar (caps look good in reviews).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16379 on: October 10, 2016, 11:57:29 PM »

55 DAYS AT PEKING (1963) (TCM) Watching this movie feels like 55 hours in hell. For symmetry's sake, I'll give it a 5.5/10.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM