Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:48:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838809 times)
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16380 on: October 11, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »

And the price! I think I may have to throw the artwork away--it's beyond hideous. They couldn't have given us reversible covers with some original poster art or something? Those transfers had better be stellar (caps look good in reviews).

Seems as though the artwork has people not wanting to buy so I'll wait around for a price drop. I might get that Runaway Train release from TT since I missed the Arrow one.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16381 on: October 12, 2016, 03:49:25 AM »

The Canyons (2013) Director: Paul Schrader, Writer: Bret Easton Ellis, Staring: Lindsay Lohan, James Deen, Nolan Gerard Funk, Amanda Brooks, and Tenille Houston. Tedious, though Lohan's acting is a revelation, she's good, but looks as if she's already pushing 40, she's 27. 4/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16382 on: October 12, 2016, 04:50:38 AM »

The Canyons (2013) Director: Paul Schrader, Writer: Bret Easton Ellis, Staring: Lindsay Lohan, James Deen, Nolan Gerard Funk, Amanda Brooks, and Tenille Houston. Tedious, though Lohan's acting is a revelation, she's good, but looks as if she's already pushing 40, she's 27. 4/10

3/10

The production of the film was a train wreck that ended Lindsay Lohan's career for good.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16383 on: October 12, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »

Violent Cop (1989) - 10/10. Really a masterpiece (although Sonatine is even better). The blu does it justice: no teal! no orange! No pink skin tones! I had seen this once before, but watching a second time was even more enjoyable.

Boiling Point (1990) - 6/10. I hadn't seen this one before and got it as a blind buy and was disappointed. I got really tired of Kitano slapping his girlfriend. And what's with the ending? Another great transfer, though. The first of Kitano's Okinawa films.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16384 on: October 12, 2016, 01:05:49 PM »

Violent Cop (1989) - 10/10. Really a masterpiece (although Sonatine is even better). The blu does it justice: no teal! no orange! No pink skin tones! I had seen this once before, but watching a second time was even more enjoyable.

Boiling Point (1990) - 6/10. I hadn't seen this one before and got it as a blind buy and was disappointed. I got really tired of Kitano slapping his girlfriend. And what's with the ending? Another great transfer, though. The first of Kitano's Okinawa films.

Sounds like Violent Cop is the way to go then.

Sunshine - Enjoyable 7/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16385 on: October 13, 2016, 04:05:05 AM »

The Martian 5/10
Everybody lied. This is a TV movie for your grandparents. Probably directed by your grandparents too.

Westworld S01E01 & 02 6.5/10
Cool concept and lots of stuff for western movies buffs. Ed Harris keeps getting cooler, especially with a LeMat pistol.
But it's also cold and a tad boring. Let's see where it goes.

Ex Machina 6/10
Good and interesting but the second half is far too linear and predictable.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:11:17 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16386 on: October 13, 2016, 06:07:26 AM »

Blood Father (2016) - 3/10. I liked the Mesrine films, so I thought a Mel Gibson actioner directed by Jean-Franšois Richet would be pretty good. Well, no, not when you're working off a script that wouldn't have made it on 90s TV. Every once in a while a real actor, William H. Macy or Michael Parks, shows up and enlivens things a little. A very little.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16387 on: October 13, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »

Ex Machina 6/10
Good and interesting but the second half is far too linear and predictable.

I remember seeing that in theaters and I remember very little of it besides the dance scene.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16388 on: October 13, 2016, 10:06:50 AM »

I remember seeing that in theaters and I remember very little of it besides the dance scene.

The plot is quite linear and quite "average indie SciFi movie about AI with 4 actors with actual lines". Still pretty good. Oscar Isaac is great, as usual.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16389 on: October 13, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »

The plot is quite linear and quite "average indie SciFi movie about AI with 4 actors with actual lines". Still pretty good. Oscar Isaac is great, as usual.

Sounds like one time view is enough for a lifetime.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16390 on: October 13, 2016, 10:40:30 AM »

Sounds like one time view is enough for a lifetime.

It is. └ one time view is both deserved and enough.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16391 on: October 13, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »

I don't think it is enough. It's never enough except for absolutely dull and bland films.

I will watch it definitely a 2nd time, and will then see how it develops for me. 8/10 for now.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16392 on: October 13, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »

I don't think it is enough. It's never enough except for absolutely dull and bland films.

I will watch it definitely a 2nd time, and will then see how it develops for me. 8/10 for now.
Its greatest flaw is that it doesn't pass the Lem test. The Lem test is one based on the writings of Stanislaw Lem, a writer (Solaris) who was very critical of sci-fi stories that relied on the tropes of "fairy stories." He felt that the topics dealt with in sci-fi should find new patterns of expression, commensurate with the new ways of thinking that science produces.

If you analyze Ex Machina you see it's full of the usual crap: a handsome young knight journeys to a distant castle where an evil wizard keeps a princess under his spell. The knight champions the princess and defeats the wizard and the girl goes free. The fact that in this case the princess leaves the knight behind trapped in the castle isn't enough of a twist to save the whole thing.

The story isn't worth revisiting. What I thought really worked, though, was the sexy android. I would re-watch it just to see Alicia Vikander in this role. She's interesting here in a way she is not in other roles I've seen her in.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:57:37 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16393 on: October 13, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »

It's never enough except for absolutely dull and bland films.

You're talking in absolute value. We're talking of actually taking the time to watch it again.

8/10 is a lot. What did you like that much?

Its greatest flaw is that it doesn't pass the Lem test. The Lem test is one based on the writings of Stanislaw Lem, a writer (Solaris) who was very critical of sci-fi stories that relied on the tropes of "fairy stories." He felt that the topics dealt with in sci-fi should find new patterns of expression, commensurate with the new ways of thinking that science produces.

If you analyze Ex Machina you see it's full of the usual crap: a handsome young knight journeys to a distant castle where an evil wizard keeps a princess under his spell. The knight champions the princess and defeats the wizard and the girl goes free. The fact that in this case the princess leaves the knight behind trapped in the castle isn't enough of a twist to save the whole thing.

The story isn't worth revisiting. What I thought really worked, though, was the sexy android. I would re-watch it just to see Alicia Vikander in this role. She's interesting here in a way she is not in other roles I've seen her in.

Not sure about the whole Lem test but I can support the sexy android point.
Apart from that, yes, the story is far too straightforward with far too regular characters. The dialogues are pretty good, but it feels like the plot was written in a couple of days.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:21:03 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16394 on: October 14, 2016, 06:00:42 AM »

I'm not sure if the story is too one-dimensional, maybe it is, but for that I have to watch it again considering how it ends. The ending before the end, when Isaac meets his creations in an unhealthy way was definitely too conventional, and Gleeson's character should have been much more complex. Hmm, but why then 8/10? Tricky, maybe Vikander ...

Ok, Vikander is always worth a watch so far. But her very sexy android is definitely reason enough to buy the Blu.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:04:49 AM by stanton » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM