Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 10:28:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1092 1093 [1094] 1095 1096 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839276 times)
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16395 on: October 14, 2016, 01:38:26 PM »

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - 4/5

Out of all the Peckinpah's films I have seen, this is certainly my favorite out of all of them.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16396 on: October 14, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »

Mine too. Heard about the new Blu-ray coming from Arrow?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16397 on: October 15, 2016, 10:15:16 AM »

Boogie Nights 8/10
First viewing.
Afro Afro Afro

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16398 on: October 16, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »

Boogie Nights 8/10
First viewing.
Afro Afro Afro
10 10 10 10 10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16399 on: October 16, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »

Best non-leone movie ever can't believe that was your first viewing

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16400 on: October 17, 2016, 01:40:52 AM »

Best non-leone movie ever can't believe that was your first viewing

Yeah, it's one of these films that you cannot find in France if you're not actively trying to see it. The english version wasn't even available on iTunes and the like until recently (I checked regularly and they only had the French version).

I liked it a lot, the characters are just too stupid and mediocre for me to really care about them, hence the 8/10 instead of a higher ranking. But yeah, it is great. And cute. And fun.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16401 on: October 17, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

Mine too. Heard about the new Blu-ray coming from Arrow?

I saw your link in the movie thread and responded rightly to it.

Hardcore (1979) 3/5 (4/5 with audio commentary)

Enjoyable.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16402 on: October 18, 2016, 01:54:39 AM »

The Happiest Day In The Life Of Olli Mäki (2016) 8/10

The cutest box film ever, about the boxer preparing for a game he couldn't care less about.

I went to see it based on an advice by moviesceleton (who knows the director), and it was damn good. The sharp direction shines in gorgeous 16mm and every single character is shown with obvious empathy. The way the film knows how to use ellipses and perfectly times when to enter a scene is amazing. I have very few complains, about  2 scenes, that, unfortunately, were important.

Cool OST (you can hear it in the trailer).

Watch it, most of you guys are going to love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNTZvbVsN6k

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:02:55 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16403 on: October 18, 2016, 08:33:34 PM »

Anyone have suggestion for a good drama in theaters now, other than SULLY? (I am planning on going to theater this week and not sure if SULLY is playing at any times that work for me.) Any good recommendations? Thanks  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16404 on: October 19, 2016, 07:57:27 AM »

The Laughing Policeman (1973) - 9/10. One third of the Matthau Crime Trilogy that begins with Charley Varrick and ends with The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. A policier extraordinare, this was filmed on location in SF (and only on locations--not a studio shot in the whole piece). Not only Matthau, but Bruce Dern, Anthony Zerbe, Lou Gossett, and Val Avery are on board. Joanna Cassidy has two scenes.  SPOILER The policeman never smiles END SPOILER. The new Blu-ray looks wonderful. Flesh tones are immaculate.This is a world where teal and orange are unknown.  Nothing like the crap they make now.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16405 on: October 19, 2016, 09:42:29 AM »

The Laughing Policeman (1973) - 9/10. One third of the Matthau Crime Trilogy that begins with Charley Varrick and ends with The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. A policier extraordinare, this was filmed on location in SF (and only on locations--not a studio shot in the whole piece). Not only Matthau, but Bruce Dern, Anthony Zerbe, Lou Gossett, and Val Avery are on board. Joanna Cassidy has two scenes.  SPOILER The policeman never smiles END SPOILER. The new Blu-ray looks wonderful. Flesh tones are immaculate.This is a world where teal and orange are unknown.  Nothing like the crap they make now.

Quote from: titoli on June 23, 2011, 10:20:40 AM
The Laughing Policeman (1973) An excellent police procedural until the last 20 minutes, when the plot device of solving the case by putting pressure on the culprit it's quite childish (I can't remember if the novel had a better solution). Also, the choice of SF as the locale is not very lucky, I think, as the seedy side of the city which is shown to great effect it would have suited NYC better. Still you have great performances (when I read the Martin Beck cycles, before watching this movie, I actually pictured MB in my mind to be something like Matthau) but it's Dern as the a...e policeman who gets high kudos. Zerbe shows why he can't play boss, and Matt Clark and Clifton James play welcome short appearances. 7\10   

So I have to assume you liked the last 20 minutes and the SF locale.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16406 on: October 19, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »

I docked a point for the last 20 minutes which were, I agree, a bit disappointing. Otherwise I would have given the film a 10. I have never seen a better film about the dynamic between police partners. Matthau and Dern are just phenomenal. And they do it without being cute, even once.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16407 on: October 20, 2016, 06:58:52 PM »

Sully (2016) 7/10

Decent job with not-very-interesting material.

The emergency landing/heroism is interesting material and enjoyable to watch, but the storyline of the second-guessing by the Federal Aviation Administration to me just is not very exciting material.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16408 on: October 21, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »

Sully (2016) 7/10
Decent job with not-very-interesting material.
Real life is like that. I understand they phony-ed up the FAA stuff, just to add some drama. Apparently (I haven't seen the film), it didn't work.

Now if it had been revealed that Sully was actually a killer cyborg . . .  Cheesy

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16409 on: October 22, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »

Real life is like that. I understand they phony-ed up the FAA stuff, just to add some drama. Apparently (I haven't seen the film), it didn't work.

Now if it had been revealed that Sully was actually a killer cyborg . . .  Cheesy

Most of the movie is about the second-guessing by the FAA.

The plane incident is supposed to be incredibly accurate. Problem is, you can't make an entire movie out of an incident that took just a few minutes (208 seconds betwen when the birds hit the engines and when the plane landed in the water. Less than half-hour till all passengers were rescued by boats. So most of the movie shows the FAA investigation and then the actual plane ibcident is shown in flashback. Just doesn't lend itself to being a great movie script. Eastwood did a decent job with not-great material. It'a worth renting/streaming and watching once for the re-creation of the plane stuff, but not spending $15 on a Manhattan theater ($30 for me and the babe!)

Yeah, the theater prices keep rising. I saw this at City Cinemas on East 86th St and 3rd Avenue. $15 a ticket. You can usually buy a DVD for that price or a BRD for a little more.

Pages: 1 ... 1092 1093 [1094] 1095 1096 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM