Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 03:24:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770732 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #16440 on: November 06, 2016, 08:28:45 AM »

I also liked Hacksaw Ridge, saw it last night.  Battle scenes were graphic, likely realistic, like in Saving Private Ryan.

Two things did bother me a little:
1.  Nurse/wife was just too hot for him !!!

2.  Who built that rope ladder thing, and why didn't the Japanese just cut that/destroy that so the Americans could not access the cliff/ridge in that way?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16441 on: November 07, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »

Never say, "The reason is because ..." That is redundant. Say, "The reason is that ... "  Wink
Never say "The reason is that . . ." Say, "The reason is . . . "  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16442 on: November 07, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »

You say Hacksaw Ridge is completely accurate to your experiences ...how would you say Full Metal Jacket holds up in realism? Aside from the whole murder-suicide part, I always felt that those scenes were realistic in depicting the day-by-day redundancy without going too overboard on over-the-top characters and bad jokes. I'm not critiquing the actual details of the camp and obstacles in Hacksaw Ridge, I'm more critiquing the character-types and style. I'm sure that in any boot camp, movies or real life, the types of characters you meet will stay relatively consistent among all of them. I just think Hacksaw could have been a bit subtler in presenting their stereotypes.
The spirit in FMJ seems right--and they used a real DI to play the DI--but that's Marine basic training, which is a bit different from Grunt 101. I never understood how a trainee would have access to live ammo after working hours, though. Again, Marine basic may be different, but in Army basic the only time you saw ammo was on the range, never in the barracks. But maybe they bent reality a bit to make the movie work.

I take your point about the characters in Hacksaw, and maybe some better dialog would have helped, but the intro doesn't have to be exceptional, it just has to get the job done. Because rifle company members in WW2 trained together in basic before going overseas (unlike the modern practice), boot camp is the place for introductions. Yeah, even if you decide that real life is too clichéd, souping up the personalities to be more original would just add time to the first part of the film. The advantage of using clichés (there are some) is that you don't have take much time with intros. You just have to hit the beats for each type and then move on. I didn't worry too much about the character intros in the film, because I knew we were going to Hacksaw Ridge for the real movie. There's a trade-off here, though. If a character is too clichéd it doesn't mean much when they're killed or injured. I even got confused about who made it and who didn't. But since the focus is on the medic (unusual for a war film) this was a secondary concern. I always knew what he was up to and I never had any trouble following how things paid off for him.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16443 on: November 07, 2016, 10:10:36 AM »

2.  Who built that rope ladder thing, and why didn't the Japanese just cut that/destroy that so the Americans could not access the cliff/ridge in that way?
That's another film! Let's start work on our Hacksaw Ridge prequel today (Fishnet Cliff?).  Cheesy

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16444 on: November 07, 2016, 10:23:27 AM »

Looks like the filmmakers stayed pretty close to the facts but added some clichés to the backstory. They shouldn't have bothered: http://people.com/movies/the-true-story-of-hacksaw-ridge-and-desmond-doss-the-medal-of-honor-winner-who-never-fired-a-shot/

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16445 on: November 07, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »

Black Mass - 2/5

Point for Depp's performance and the other for Rory Cochran. Shame the film itself isn't much good.

Ali - 4/5

Saw that the blu-ray is coming out soon which is exciting. Hopefully it'll have commentary from Michael Mann.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16446 on: November 07, 2016, 04:30:42 PM »

MASTERPIECES OF POLISH CINEMA MARTIN SCORSESE COULDN'T BE BOTHERED WITH
A Short Film About Love / Krótki film o milosci (1988) - 6/10. This is the extended, feature-length version of Kieslowski's Dekalog, Episode 6. Kieslowski is always interesting visually, but the characters in this stretch credulity. Would people really act this stupidly in real life, and take so long about it? And Tomek, the Peeping Tom, is just exasperating. Interestingly, things aren't just extended in this cut. The film actually has a different ending than the one in the TV episode, which completely changes the material. It doesn't make the material better, though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16447 on: November 08, 2016, 05:29:07 AM »

The Double Life of Veronique (1991) - 10/10. Idziak continues down the path he took in Dekalog 5 / A Short Film About Killing (1988)--and Kieslowski stays out of his way. Man, if you like filters, this is the most beautiful movie ever shot. It helps also to have a good-looking actress to film. The story isn't bad: it starts out as a kind of psychic twins piece and then morphs into something completely different. With some of the greatest film music ever (Preisner as Van den Budenmayer).

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16448 on: November 08, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »

The music actually pushes it to a league the film couldn't dream of with another composer.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16449 on: November 08, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »

The Double Life of Veronique (1991) - 10/10. Idziak continues down the path he took in Dekalog 5 / A Short Film About Killing (1988)--

I think both films are similar good.
As is the Short Film about Love. I'm surprised that you see that one on such a low level.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16450 on: November 09, 2016, 07:36:49 AM »

I think both films are similar good.
As is the Short Film about Love. I'm surprised that you see that one on such a low level.
I can't believe the actions of any of the characters in ASFAL. Great photography. Bad writing.

Bell, Book and Candle (1958) 8/10. Since it arrived on Blu, I watch this title at least once a year now. It's a slight work, perhaps, but the chemistry between Stewart and Novak is real (Novak admits as much in an audio interview). The scenes with Janice Rule are really funny too, and Ernie Kovacs is a scream. Throwing the hat off the top of the Flatiron Bldg. and tracking it all the way down is a nice touch.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16451 on: November 09, 2016, 09:07:53 AM »

I think the discussion already took place somewhere on these boards but how would you guys rate each of the decalogue films? I haven't seen any of them, where should I start?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16452 on: November 09, 2016, 11:07:34 AM »

It doesn't matter. The first one was shot last, though. My favorite is 10 (which has a lot of humor). 5 is justly well-regarded. 2 is very good. I re-watched 3 the other night and found it less interesting than I remembered.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16453 on: November 09, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »

Too long ago to remember much of them. I watched the Decalogue only once, and I wasn't overwhelmed. It would be interesting to return to them all.

But A Short Film about Love was the one I liked the most. The theatrical longer version.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16454 on: November 09, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »

Weiner (2016) 9/10

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5278596/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Review by Odie Henderson: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/weiner-2016

Documentary about Anthony Weiner's run for mayor of New York City in 2013. His attempted political comeback, two years after he was forced to resign from U.S. Congress for a sexting scandal, failed spectacularly when more sexting pics and messages emerged during the mayoral race. If you Europeans are not familiar with this story, you can read about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Weiner and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Weiner_sexting_scandals

I could never stand Anthony Weiner, and I reveled in his downfall.

I watched this movie on Monday night, to get myself pumped up for the upcoming Election Day. (First viewing. On DVD rented from Netflix.) Firstly, it is about the downfall of a rabble-rousing liberal Democrat  Afro Afro Afro But more importantly, Anthony Weiner unintentionally played a prominent role in Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign - a computer that he shared with his wife, Huma Abedin, a prominent Hillary Clinton aide, was seized by the FBI in an investigation into whether Weiner sexted a minor. The computer turned out to have contained emails sent to/from Hillary Clinton's private email server, which led to the FBI reopening the case against Clinton 11 days before the election. They closed it without charges two days before the election, but perhaps the damage was done.

So I figured what better time to watch the movie? (I assumed Clinton would win, and this movie would be my consolation prize before the fact!) Anyway, the movie is great to watch! Weiner allowed filmmakers to film his comeback bid in the mayoral race, and when that race flopped with his latest scandal, it made for a great documentary!!!!

p.s. finally, just a few months ago, after yet ANOTHER sexting scandal that wound up on the cover of the NY Post, Weiner's wife left him. You have to wonder why the hell she stuck around as long as she did.

What a creep and a loser. This guy was a seven-term congressman in a liberal district and would have run unopposed for the rest of his life. He had a guaranteed job in Congress for the rest of his life. He threw it all away – a career as a prominent politician, a livelihood, a marriage – to sext women he never met.  Grin Grin Grin

If you are not familiar with the story, you may or may not be interested in watching this. If you are a New Yorker who followed the story from Day 1, this is a must-watch!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM