Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 11:35:37 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 ... 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5068242 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #16440 : November 09, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »

Too long ago to remember much of them. I watched the Decalogue only once, and I wasn't overwhelmed. It would be interesting to return to them all.

But A Short Film about Love was the one I liked the most. The theatrical longer version.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #16441 : November 09, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »

Weiner (2016) 9/10

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5278596/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Review by Odie Henderson: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/weiner-2016

Documentary about Anthony Weiner's run for mayor of New York City in 2013. His attempted political comeback, two years after he was forced to resign from U.S. Congress for a sexting scandal, failed spectacularly when more sexting pics and messages emerged during the mayoral race. If you Europeans are not familiar with this story, you can read about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Weiner and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Weiner_sexting_scandals

I could never stand Anthony Weiner, and I reveled in his downfall.

I watched this movie on Monday night, to get myself pumped up for the upcoming Election Day. (First viewing. On DVD rented from Netflix.) Firstly, it is about the downfall of a rabble-rousing liberal Democrat  O0 O0 O0 But more importantly, Anthony Weiner unintentionally played a prominent role in Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign - a computer that he shared with his wife, Huma Abedin, a prominent Hillary Clinton aide, was seized by the FBI in an investigation into whether Weiner sexted a minor. The computer turned out to have contained emails sent to/from Hillary Clinton's private email server, which led to the FBI reopening the case against Clinton 11 days before the election. They closed it without charges two days before the election, but perhaps the damage was done.

So I figured what better time to watch the movie? (I assumed Clinton would win, and this movie would be my consolation prize before the fact!) Anyway, the movie is great to watch! Weiner allowed filmmakers to film his comeback bid in the mayoral race, and when that race flopped with his latest scandal, it made for a great documentary!!!!

p.s. finally, just a few months ago, after yet ANOTHER sexting scandal that wound up on the cover of the NY Post, Weiner's wife left him. You have to wonder why the hell she stuck around as long as she did.

What a creep and a loser. This guy was a seven-term congressman in a liberal district and would have run unopposed for the rest of his life. He had a guaranteed job in Congress for the rest of his life. He threw it all away – a career as a prominent politician, a livelihood, a marriage – to sext women he never met.  ;D ;D ;D

If you are not familiar with the story, you may or may not be interested in watching this. If you are a New Yorker who followed the story from Day 1, this is a must-watch!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #16442 : November 10, 2016, 02:49:50 AM »

Too long ago to remember much of them. I watched the Decalogue only once, and I wasn't overwhelmed. It would be interesting to return to them all.

But A Short Film about Love was the one I liked the most. The theatrical longer version.

What do you think of the three colors trilogy?

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #16443 : November 10, 2016, 03:06:06 AM »

What do you think of the three colors trilogy?

I like them very much, especially Blue. In fact I like all Kieslowski films, with No End (1985)being my favourite. Checking Wiki I haven't seen his 3 early films before Camera Buff, but 2 of them were made for TV.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #16444 : November 10, 2016, 05:11:07 AM »

I like them very much, especially Blue. In fact I like all Kieslowski films, with No End (1985)being my favourite. Checking Wiki I haven't seen his 3 early films before Camera Buff, but 2 of them were made for TV.

I love Blue. I was a bit disappointed by Red despite its great qualities and still haven't seen White.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #16445 : November 10, 2016, 06:15:38 AM »

White is very funny, with a lot of it taking place in Poland. I'm also a big fan of Blue, largely because of the music. Red is good, but I prefer the other two.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #16446 : November 10, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »

Arrival (2016) - 7/10
As far as technical craft goes Denis proves to be one of the top directors of his generation (who got their start early 2000s). The story though... eh. It's message, or what I perceived it to be, was a bit too obvious. Certain things happen that cheapen other aspects. Don't want to spoil much - enjoyed it all the way through but don't think I'll be watching again. Felt kinda like Inception and Interstellar mashed together. Worth watching once? Definitely.  my reviews tend to focus on just the negatives. Curious to hear n_l thoughts

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #16447 : November 11, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »

French release: 7 december

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #16448 : November 13, 2016, 12:02:42 PM »

Moonlight (2016) - 8.5/10
The first two acts are perfect. My mind started to wander on act 3, which has a huge shift in tone (turns from a coming of age tale to a long conversation, much like Linklater's Before Trilogy. It's handled very well, the blame is on me for having my mind on other stuff). I will definitely watch it again, and probably like it even more. Any cliches that might be in this movie are done with subtly and effectiveness. Finally a release this year that lives up to its praise. Of the all the 'awards' movies, I'd currently like this one to take the prizes. If the Academy is smart they will, so that black people don't start whining like last year.

i'd say it's a flawless movie in that there's nothing bad I can actually say about it, but is missing whatever transparent touch/charm needed for me to really love a movie.

« : November 13, 2016, 12:04:32 PM PowerRR »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #16449 : November 15, 2016, 06:50:22 AM »

The Lady With a Dog (1960) - 9/10. A Russian Brief Encounter, from a story by Chekov. In Yalta, a man (Aleksey Batalov--the Soviet John Ireland!) meets a lady (Iya Savvina) with a dog (uncredited). Although both are married, they begin an affair. Later they take up with each other again in Moscow. Although this was made at the end of the 50s, it looks like something that could have been produced in the 40s. The Yalta locations, in black and white, are gorgeous. The photography throughout is worthwhile. One of the very few great films of Russian cinema.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #16450 : November 15, 2016, 07:46:28 AM »

The Lady With a Dog (1960)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cn5lb_the-lady-with-the-dog-1960-pt-1_creation
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cn96y_the-lady-with-the-dog-1960-pt-2_creation

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #16451 : November 15, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »

The Innocents (1961) pretty creepy story 9/10 on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvn-UFNJkM

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #16452 : November 16, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »

High Society (1956) - 8/10. I don't much enjoy The Philadelphia Story--but swap Cary, Jimmy, and Katharine for Bing, Frankie and Grace (respectively), throw in Satchmo and a couple of songs, shoot the whole thing in color and in Vistavision, and suddenly: That's Entertainment! A musical with tons of witty patter: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049314/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

I've been bemoaning the fact this isn't out on Blu yet, but last night I spun the MGM DVD and it looks fabulous. There's not much an upgrade could improve.

« : November 16, 2016, 08:20:45 AM dave jenkins »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #16453 : November 16, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »

Double Life of Veronique - 8/10
Fuck Blue.

Maybe a bit high on that 8 but I really liked this for how kinda boring it was at times (also if I gave it a 7.5 DJ would yell at me more). I'm sure I don't understand it as Kieslowski intended but I quite like what I got out of it.

N_l you caught up on westworld? Really not caring for it

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #16454 : November 17, 2016, 06:37:56 AM »

Double Life of Veronique - 8/10
I'm sure I don't understand it as Kieslowski intended but I quite like what I got out of it.
I'm not sure even Kieslowski always knew what he intended. The person shining the sun's reflection into Veronique's apartment, for example, means . . . what, exactly? Maybe nothing except that it's something that could happen and it's just cool to look at. I think a lot of late K is mostly about things that are cool to look at (reflections in eyes; sugar cubes absorbing coffee, etc.) People who are determined to find deep meaning in everything filmed go wrong when considering K's later work (I feel).

: 1 ... 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 ... 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines