Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 04:21:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839709 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16485 on: November 21, 2016, 11:32:11 AM »

Well, Dreams is not a very good film, but it was something I remember seeing in Japan in 1990, so there are some extra-cinematic considerations that have attached themselves (nostalgia, etc.). Then there are the many bonus features one gets on a Criterion disc. And it was on sale.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #16486 on: November 21, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »

Moonlight (2016) - 8.5/10
The first two acts are perfect. My mind started to wander on act 3, which has a huge shift in tone (turns from a coming of age tale to a long conversation, much like Linklater's Before Trilogy. It's handled very well, the blame is on me for having my mind on other stuff). I will definitely watch it again, and probably like it even more. Any cliches that might be in this movie are done with subtly and effectiveness. Finally a release this year that lives up to its praise. Of the all the 'awards' movies, I'd currently like this one to take the prizes. If the Academy is smart they will, so that black people don't start whining like last year.

i'd say it's a flawless movie in that there's nothing bad I can actually say about it, but is missing whatever transparent touch/charm needed for me to really love a movie.
It gets 5/10 from me. If you pitched the story to any given person and asked them to write a script based on your pitch, there's a 90% chance they would write exactly the scenes seen in the film. My point: there's nothing original in this film nor anything that would feel true or real. It's very general and unoriginal. And the cinematography tries to be all the hip things of 2016 at once.

45 Years, on the other hand, is a fabulous film. I found the final party as a whole breathtaking. It's been over a year since I saw the film and it still stays with me.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #16487 on: November 21, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »

Also saw:

Arrival (2016) - 8.5/10
As good as Prisoners but still not the masterpiece I'm waiting for from Villeneuve.

Swiss Army Man (2016) - 8/10
Awesome hangover movie.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: November 21, 2016, 08:49:36 PM »

45 Years, on the other hand, is a fabulous film. I found the final party as a whole breathtaking. It's been over a year since I saw the film and it still stays with me.

The last dance is nice. Otherwise I found the film excruciating. But if you enjoyed it, I wouldn't want to ruin your enjoyment  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16489 on: November 22, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »

Cyd Charisse Day on Turner!

It's Always Fair Weather (1955) - 6/10. Three army buddies reunite after 10 years and find they are now very different people. This is a musical without any memorable songs. It does have one very impressive routine, though, with Gene Kelley doing a tap dance in roller skates. Watching the climax, I realized that My Favorite Year stole the thing whole cloth for its ending.
Blu-ray in da house! Looking forward to re-watching the roller skates routine. I hope that traveling salesman joke is as funny as I remember it!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16490 on: November 23, 2016, 07:11:08 AM »

Blu-ray in da house! Looking forward to re-watching the roller skates routine. I hope that traveling salesman joke is as funny as I remember it!
Yikes, the blu is a bust! Dated master of elements in need of restoration: fuzzy, indistinct, faded colors, appalling skin tones. I guess my hope now is that the UK blu of Cover Girl (due Feb.) is gonna look gorgeous.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: November 23, 2016, 10:37:04 AM »

The Flim-Flam Man (1967) - (pushing for a) 7/10

This is a fairly good late 60s comedy with good performances from the main actors and professional contributions from the well-known supporting ones. The schemes are largely simple and rely on situational improvisation (ain't no Sting) but the pace is steady enough for 2/3 of the movie (until Sarrazin's character starts falling in love and trying to quit - though the ending is satisfyingly twisty, I'll give 'em that) and the overall feel is sincere. This sort of stuff beats most of today's 'comedies' by a large margin.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: November 23, 2016, 10:49:34 AM »

The Flim-Flam Man (1967) - (pushing for a) 7/10

This is a fairly good late 60s comedy with good performances from the main actors and professional contributions from the well-known supporting ones. The schemes are largely simple and rely on situational improvisation (ain't no Sting) but the pace is steady enough for 2/3 of the movie (until Sarrazin's character starts falling in love and trying to quit - though the ending is satisfyingly twisty, I'll give 'em that) and the overall feel is sincere. This sort of stuff beats most of today's 'comedies' by a large margin.

This was a movie which I saw 2 or 3 times but the last one was in 1973 or about. Your summation fits with my memories of it.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16493 on: November 23, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »

The Tree of Life

Sure is something.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16494 on: November 24, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »

One-Eyed Jacks (1961) - 5/10. Stupid plot, and it goes on and on. There's not enough material here for a 90-minute episode of The High Chaparral, but this gets stretched to two-hours-twenty. I guess there was a better ending that wasn't used, but even that wouldn't have saved this. Image-wise, though, this is (mostly) impressive work. Well, you know, Vista-vision. The lighting isn't bad, but kind of the same thing all the time: Brando doesn't have any patience with shadows, apparently, so it's always high noon (or maybe high two p.m.). Night scenes are a bust. Criterion PQ: 10/10.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16495 on: November 24, 2016, 08:41:22 AM »

The Seven-Ups (1973) - 6.75/10

I see @CJ and @DJ gave this a 10/10 - sorry, I can't buy that. Overall it's too bland (unpolished story and unmemorable characters) and I found the plot to be hard to decipher quite a few times, as well as to follow all the characters. The car chase is either as good as the one in Bullitt or even better - it's really electrifying - but I haven't watched the McQueen flick in a long time. Great sets and locations add up to a vibrant NY late 60s/early 70s atmosphere, almost for the manuals. Watchable and entertaining; pushing for that upper middle class of those already mentioned late 60s/early 70s big city crime flicks, but not likely to make it

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:42:24 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: November 24, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »

The Seven-Ups (1973) - 6.75/10

I see @CJ and @DJ gave this a 10/10 - sorry, I can't buy that. Overall it's too bland (unpolished story and unmemorable characters) and I found the plot to be hard to decipher quite a few times, as well as to follow all the characters. The car chase is either as good as the one in Bullitt or even better - it's really electrifying - but I haven't watched the McQueen flick in a long time. Great sets and locations add up to a vibrant NY late 60s/early 70s atmosphere, almost for the manuals. Watchable and entertaining; pushing for that upper middle class of those already mentioned late 60s/early 70s big city crime flicks, but not likely to make it

The car chase is what separates it from the run of the mill late 60s early 70s big city crime flicks, without the chase it would be at best a 6/10. This, Bullitt (1968) and The French Connection (1971) are it, the big three. I wouldn't really rate any of them higher than a 6 without their chases.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16497 on: November 24, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »

The car chase is what separates it from the run of the mill late 60s early 70s big city crime flicks, without the chase it would be at best a 6/10. This, Bullitt (1968) and The French Connection (1971) are it, the big three. I wouldn't really rate any of them higher than a 6 without their chases.  Afro
Seconded. A good car chase is a work of art.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: November 24, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »

Yes, but this one is less good than the ones in Bullitt and The French Connection, to which the film itself is very obviously a follow-up. Good, but far from great. 6,5/10

And One Eyed Jacks, I think it's one of the great westerns of its time. 8,5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16499 on: November 24, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »

And One Eyed Jacks, I think it's one of the great westerns of its time. 8,5/10
stanton's comment: 1/10

Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM