Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 04:34:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1099 1100 [1101] 1102 1103 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759908 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16500 on: November 24, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »

And One Eyed Jacks, I think it's one of the great westerns of its time. 8,5/10
stanton's comment: 1/10

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16501 on: November 24, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »

stanton's comment: 11/10

Thanks ...

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16502 on: November 26, 2016, 11:24:49 AM »

Uncle Buck (1989) - 6 or 7/10 (it doesn't really matter)

I guess it's better than I expected, as it doesn't turn up to be just another obvious play-by-play 80s comedy but sort of works with the characters (in the boundaries of such a flick, of course). John Candy fantastic. It's worthy of family comedies heaven.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16503 on: November 26, 2016, 02:17:02 PM »

Bushido: The Cruel Code of the Samurai (1963) - 8/10. The back of the DVD box puts it well: "350 years . . . 7 Generations . . . 7 Roles . . . 1 ACTOR." That one actor (Kinnosuke Nakamura), portraying successive descendants of an ill-used samurai family, illustrates a simple message: blind loyalty to a corrupt system is no virtue. You'd think after the first time this point is made the film would grow tedious--in fact, no: the filmmaker (Tadashi Imai) keeps coming up with new and inventive ways for each new generation of loyal retainers to get screwed (in one case, literally). It's like watching a Dr. Phibes film (or a Webster play); you have to stay with it just to see what exquisite cruelty will be next on view. Of course it's all in a good cause. Brother Imai, preaching to the choir, is out to tell us that feudalism is bad, post-WW II Japanese democracy is good, which is why there's hope for the final generation. The all-too-obvious message in no way interferes with the film's entertainment value, however. All the violence--artfully rendered in B&W and 'scope--is supported by a wonderful (Shostakovich-inspired) score. Kudos to AnimEigo for digging this one up.
Watched this again. Man is it a lot of fun. Oooooh, those evil fief lords! Love, love, love to hate 'em! Did I mention this is a 2.35:1 job in b&w? (another film Drink has never seen).

Heavy Metal (1981) - 6/10. Not really an adaptation of the magazine, more like a series of riffs on the stories found there. As the animation isn't particularly good, the best episodes are the one's played for humor. Richard Corben's "Den" is my fave, with lots of irreverent John Candy voice-over.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16504 on: November 26, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »

Heavy Metal (1981) - 6/10. Not really an adaptation of the magazine, more like a series of riffs on the stories found there. As the animation isn't particularly good, the best episodes are the one's played for humor. Richard Corben's "Den" is my fave, with lots of irreverent John Candy voice-over.

No mention of the fantastic opening of the Corvette flying through space with the Riggs song Radar Rider or the fact that the best name of any character in fiction (Harry Canyon) is used for the film. For shame.

Sicario (2015) - 3.5/5

What a shame Emily Blunt is the main character we have to follow throughout the film. Far far too boring to care for. The sequel sounds like the movie to watch out for since her character will not be in it. Other than that, the movie is pretty solid. Nothing great but sure is good.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16505 on: November 27, 2016, 07:43:37 AM »

No mention of the fantastic opening of the Corvette flying through space with the Riggs song Radar Rider or the fact that the best name of any character in fiction (Harry Canyon) is used for the film. For shame.
Thought this was too obvious to mention. My bad.

To Live And Die in L.A.
(1985) - 7/10. Saw this back in the day, in a cinema, remembered a lot of the set up, not much of the pay off. For some reason I never felt the need to re-watch it. Thirty-one-years later, there's a new blu, so I take it for a spin. Not bad. The idea of funding a sting by ripping off someone else's sting is pretty good. I guess the chase on the Harbor Freeway is OK, but something about the way it's cut keeps me from really getting into it. What's with all the Wang Chung? The film would make a nice double bill with Thief.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16506 on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »

Notes on a Scandal (2006) 6/10

I rented this from Netflix; slipped the DVD into the player, and the following comes up: "Rated R for  language and some aberrant sexual content." I have never seen that warning before. Aberrant sexual content means Cate Blanchett having sex with her 15-year-old student  Grin

----

Babel (2006) 8/10

I liked the Japanese scenes very much, loved the Rinko Kikuchi character ... but these scenes really have nothing to do with the rest of the movie. The tie-in is not very good; would have been better if there had been a deeper connection. (e.g., what if Brad Pitt and the Japanese hunter had once met years earlier?) But the Japanese scenes on their own were very nice. That Japanese girl is the character I care about the most. Although, showing teenaged girls acting like teenaged boys, maybe it's a boy's fantasy to see girls so sex-hungry, but I doubt is realistic. So many times I see male screenwriters writing for girls as if they were boys. (Then again, when I talk to girls, I am indeed surprised to learn that they think and talk just like boys do; many times, I see girls behaving a certain way in movies, so sex-hungry or whatever, and I think it's totally unrealistic, but when I ask female friends, they say that it is indeed realistic. Maybe I put girls on a pedestal or whatever, think they are so prudish, when in fact they are only prudish around me and quite dirty around everyone else  Wink )

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:25:39 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16507 on: November 27, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »

Thought this was too obvious to mention. My bad.

It's the only thing that matters when it comes to Heavy Metal.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16508 on: November 28, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »

The Cincinnati Kid (1965) - 8/10

Not without faults but not without great performances either. The last game chews cca. 40 % pf the running time, I kinda fell for that, even with all the dumb subplotting going on. Visually representative still today. Edward G. Robinson - now that's what you'd call a cool-as-ice performance.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16509 on: November 28, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »

Coffee and Cigarettes (2003) - 6/10. Vaguely amusing.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16510 on: November 28, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »

Coffee and Cigarettes (2003) - 6/10. Vaguely amusing.

I remember enjoying this a whole lot years ago but then a recent watch didn't give me the same feeling. Still enjoy that ending segment of the two men drinking.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16511 on: November 28, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

Notes on a Scandal (2006) 6/10
 "Aberrant sexual content means Cate Blanchett having sex with her 15-year-old student  Grin
Wouldn't that be simulated sex with her 15-year-old student? Or are you contending that they really made it together on set?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16512 on: November 28, 2016, 11:40:55 PM »

Philomena (2013) 7.5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #16513 on: November 29, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »

We saw "Allied" yesterday, liked it.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16514 on: November 29, 2016, 12:57:07 PM »

Morituri (1965) - I never watched this Marlon Brando movie before and this first watch left me sorta disappointed. It starts rather great actually, as the initial line exchanges between the characters are delightfully crispy (in first line Trevor Howard), so you starts thinking we're in for a solid war/thriller/action/adventure, but then it dissipates as it navigates further. Too many characters, too many motivations, will do - won't do, slow and lacking good action or suspense, missed emotional connections with the audience,... By the end I did not care about the ship or anybody aboard it. I liked some visual elements, but that is not enough to lift it higher than maybe 6.3/10.

Pages: 1 ... 1099 1100 [1101] 1102 1103 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM