Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 10:24:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764491 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16530 on: December 10, 2016, 04:54:58 AM »

Arrival (2016) - 8.5/10
As good as Prisoners but still not the masterpiece I'm waiting for from Villeneuve.

Arrival (2016) - 7/10
As far as technical craft goes Denis proves to be one of the top directors of his generation (who got their start early 2000s). The story though... eh. It's message, or what I perceived it to be, was a bit too obvious. Certain things happen that cheapen other aspects. Don't want to spoil much - enjoyed it all the way through but don't think I'll be watching again. Felt kinda like Inception and Interstellar mashed together. Worth watching once? Definitely.  my reviews tend to focus on just the negatives. Curious to hear n_l thoughts

Arrival (2016) - 8/10
It was that close to become the Eternal Sunshine of aliens movies. For one time, Villeneuve nailed the ending... but kind of screwed other things beforehand. The whole "how do Aliens talk?" thing is unfortunately stupidly handled: anybody on Earth would have done better in 2 meetings than they do in their first 5 or so (we would all start with some kind of "I Jane, you Tarzan" and then try to draw stuff).
Apart from that, it's terrific. Definitely the most facinating and stimulating film of the year. It's very difficult to talk about what's great in it without spoiling anything, so I'll just shut up.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 05:14:00 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16531 on: December 10, 2016, 11:51:49 AM »

The Ladykillers (1955) - 8/10

Very good black comedy with some fine acting choices. A bit silly for today's standards in certain points, but as I said, the performances carry it on.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16532 on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »

Narrow Margin (1990) ridiculous remake of the classic film noir starring Gene Hackman and Anne Archer with spectacular wastes of J.T. Walsh and M. Emmet Walsh, and implausible and predictable train action sequences too boot, that adds roughly, about a half hour of runtime. Give me a break. 5/10

Yeah, it's not worth much due to all this.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16533 on: December 11, 2016, 07:36:58 AM »

Arrival (2016) - 8/10
It was that close to become the Eternal Sunshine of aliens movies. For one time, Villeneuve nailed the ending... but kind of screwed other things beforehand. The whole "how do Aliens talk?" thing is unfortunately stupidly handled: anybody on Earth would have done better in 2 meetings than they do in their first 5 or so (we would all start with some kind of "I Jane, you Tarzan" and then try to draw stuff).
Apart from that, it's terrific. Definitely the most facinating and stimulating film of the year. It's very difficult to talk about what's great in it without spoiling anything, so I'll just shut up.
Nice.

SPOILERS:

I didn't care too much for the twist of how everything that was perceived to be in the past was actually the future. From a film making standpoint it felt like Villeneueve (or really the writer/editor?) was cheating emotions / tricking the audience in a way that annoyed me in hindsight. It also felt too random to me that just by learning the language, Amy Adams could see into the future. It felt like some rule that was just kind of thrown in for the sake of making a twist work - where the core message of the movie all along was really about emphasizing the importance of communication in the world. In other words, it felt like a really real movie to me that was stamped with a sci-fi twist last minute. Your thoughts on that?

Amy Adams though...is there any working actress better than her?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16534 on: December 11, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »

The Hunter (1980) - 5/10

A lame try all-around that, despite some good action scenes with cars (or that combine harvester vs. car, in a corn field) misuses every bit of potential, including the actors. Last McQueen's role; he did seem a bit tired.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16535 on: December 11, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »

The Hunter (1980) - 5/10

A lame try all-around that, despite some good action scenes with cars (or that combine harvester vs. car, in a corn field) misuses every bit of potential, including the actors. Last McQueen's role; he did seem a bit tired.

this has some good scenes but is one of the most poorly made movies ever. Just a bunch of scenes slapped together. Hilariously terrible. Nice to see Eli Wallach; wish he had more scenes.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #16536 on: December 15, 2016, 02:50:49 AM »

Deranged 4.5/6

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16537 on: December 15, 2016, 04:59:44 AM »

The Hunter (1980) - 5/10

That harvester scene was similar to the one in Prime Cut 1972 also http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069121/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16538 on: December 15, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »

Haven't seen it (yet). Smiley

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16539 on: December 15, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »

The Out of Towners (1970) - 6/10

Not my cup of tea but didn't hate it.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16540 on: December 16, 2016, 05:21:26 PM »

Manchester by the Sea - 9/10
Maybe my favorite film of the year

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16541 on: December 17, 2016, 01:00:19 AM »

The Innocents (1961) pretty creepy story 9/10 on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvn-UFNJkM

Saw it again after 30 years. Of course James' short novel is the greatest ghost story ever written because you don't really know what is happening (somebody even interpreted the story with Mrs Grose as a villain). The movie sticks to the story's ambiguities.  I can't imagine anybody but Kerr in the role, and the direction is impeccable. But  the spectacular color pictures  in the extra of the dvd made me wonder whether the b&w choice was the right one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16542 on: December 17, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »

I can't imagine anybody but Kerr in the role, and the direction is impeccable. But  the spectacular color pictures  in the extra of the dvd made me wonder whether the b&w choice was the right one.
You are right about Kerr, but she was too old for the part. Hence the necessity for b&w. The high contrast lighting helps hide her age.

I love Frayling's video appreciation of this film. He really gets what's special about it.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16543 on: December 17, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »

You are right about Kerr, but she was too old for the part. Hence the necessity for b&w. The high contrast lighting helps hide her age.

I love Frayling's video appreciation of this film. He really gets what's special about it.

She shows her age only in certain shots. But I'm not sure her age wasn't the right one as her "uterine phantasms" (an italian critic expression) must have been given time to grow.
(I have got the italian dvd, without the Frayling)

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16544 on: December 18, 2016, 01:56:17 AM »

Straight Time (1978)  Two time loser Dustin Hoffman tries to go straight but a douce parole officer brings him to a tipping point and he breaks bad. 7/10

You ever read the book its based off? Good stuff but the movie plays off the diamond heist way better than how the book sets it up.

Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM