Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 10:58:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838332 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16770 on: February 13, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »

JEWISH TROLL!

You people killed the Christ, no wonder you cannot watch this movie.

ATHEIST TROLL!!!!

RELIGION MEANS NOTHING TO YOU, THAT'S WHY YOU CANNOT WATCH THIS MOVIE. You are the anti-christ  Evil Evil Evil

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:33:32 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16771 on: February 13, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »

From all that I am reading on this board about Silence, it sounds like Scorsese did an imitation of Malick.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16772 on: February 13, 2017, 06:46:42 PM »

So did I maybe like Silence the most? Still I'll probably never watch it again.

As I said in the "Silence" thread, I liked it. However, I wasn't blown away by it.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16773 on: February 13, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »

Walkabout (1971) - 4/10

From the typical 70s cheap pseudo-deep psycho(logical) motivation streams a river of gratuitous and mostly deviatedly misplaced sexuality as well as turbo-exaggerated and above all unnecessary violence (mostly towards animals) in a series of unbalancely connected miniatures (though that's a compliment to refer to 'em as such), that is in absolute contrast to the vivid and en-captivating Aussie Outback mystique imagery and atmosphere, desperately trying to fight through.

I have always wanted to see this and never quite managed to. I keep meaning to buy the Criterion BD. Now you're making me think otherwise. Isn't Antony Gibbs' editing supposed to be something special?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16774 on: February 14, 2017, 02:12:39 AM »

I have always wanted to see this and never quite managed to. I keep meaning to buy the Criterion BD. Now you're making me think otherwise.

Watch it, it is much better than that. I say 8/10, and did not like it that much when I first watched it in the 80s.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16775 on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:02 AM »

I haven't seen it yet, and at this point I'll probably end up waiting for the Blu-ray. But from what I've heard about the film, isn't there a kind of homage to Bresson going on, at least in parts of it? If so, that might account for the way in which voice-over is used.

From time to time, Scorsese likes to ape those he admires. Thus, The Age of Innocence is his Kubrick picture; Gangs of New York is his Leone film. If I recall correctly, there's a segment of Bringing Out the Dead in which he channels Oliver Stone. When I finally see Silence I will be watching with the homage-making in mind.

I wouldn't know, I have never seen a full Bresson movie... but it's very possible. Novecento has already pointed out the similarities with Kurosawa, there are probably other "quotes".

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16776 on: February 14, 2017, 02:21:16 AM »

Yes, yes, yes, but I watched some scenes already twice, and before the film I watched the 18 min Whiplash short film, which he made the year before.

Man, what have you been doing? RR and I have spent the last 2 years telling everybody to watch Whiplash.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16777 on: February 14, 2017, 02:46:15 AM »

Man, what have you been doing? RR and I have spent the last 2 years telling everybody to watch Whiplash.

Watching all the other presumably great films and re-watching all the great films I want to re-watch for years maybe?

Unfortunately I have a big time problem since a few years, and I simply don't find all the time I would like to live in the real world, instead the fake world swallows me. It's actually idiotic cause I'm not interested much in money, and have much, much more than I need, and no time to spend it anyway, but at the moment I'm caught.

I still can't stop buying or recording or downloading stuff I want to watch, even if it is clear I won't, and I never had films lying around I never had watched before, but since 3 or 4 years these kind of film pile is steadily growing.

I also watched on Sunday for the first time the first version of Hawks' The Big Sleep. Quite interesting what and why was changed between the shooting in 1944/45 and the official release in August 1946. (Which also means that Hawks didn't made a film for about 3 years, cause Red River (1948), you know that film with the interesting ending for the D&D generation, was the next one.
Also interesting to compare it with the book.
The film's Marlowe is closer to Hawks than to Chandler, still the film is a more unusual work amongst Hawks adventure films (or call it men films). And the changes which were made emphasise the more Hawksian elements of the film, and make the film then more consequent and really better.
And that the film's story is confusing owes to an inapt adaptation of the novel source and to an unnecessary plot point (the involving of the chauffeur), which does make the plot more complicated than necessary, without making the film more complex. 8/10 for the early version, 9/10 for the theatrical one.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16778 on: February 14, 2017, 03:30:29 AM »

I have always wanted to see this and never quite managed to. I keep meaning to buy the Criterion BD. Now you're making me think otherwise. Isn't Antony Gibbs' editing supposed to be something special?

I watched it for Jenny Agutter  Shocked  Afro she was something special  Evil

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16779 on: February 14, 2017, 03:38:17 AM »

Watching all the other presumably great films and re-watching all the great films I want to re-watch for years maybe?

Unfortunately I have a big time problem since a few years, and I simply don't find all the time I would like to live in the real world, instead the fake world swallows me. It's actually idiotic cause I'm not interested much in money, and have much, much more than I need, and no time to spend it anyway, but at the moment I'm caught.

I still can't stop buying or recording or downloading stuff I want to watch, even if it is clear I won't, and I never had films lying around I never had watched before, but since 3 or 4 years these kind of film pile is steadily growing.

I also watched on Sunday for the first time the first version of Hawks' The Big Sleep. Quite interesting what and why was changed between the shooting in 1944/45 and the official release in August 1946. (Which also means that Hawks didn't made a film for about 3 years, cause Red River (1948), you know that film with the interesting ending for the D&D generation, was the next one.
Also interesting to compare it with the book.
The film's Marlowe is closer to Hawks than to Chandler, still the film is a more unusual work amongst Hawks adventure films (or call it men films). And the changes which were made emphasise the more Hawksian elements of the film, and make the film then more consequent and really better.
And that the film's story is confusing owes to an inapt adaptation of the novel source and to an unnecessary plot point (the involving of the chauffeur), which does make the plot more complicated than necessary, without making the film more complex. 8/10 for the early version, 9/10 for the theatrical one.

Now you should watch The Big Sleep 1978 with Robert Mitchum, it follows the novel and dialog the closest, save the update to 1978 and switching the local to the UK.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16780 on: February 14, 2017, 05:33:56 AM »

I watched Winner's version once, but it's a weak film (4/10), despite that for me Mitchum is the ultimate Marlowe, and when I read the novels, I "cast" Marlowe with him. Because of Farewell My Lovely (7/10), of course.

And I don't want films to be faithful to novels, it is mostly not good for films to try that.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16781 on: February 14, 2017, 06:38:38 AM »

Moana - 6
All right Disney movie

I was about to write something... but I won't. Lips Sealed

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16782 on: February 14, 2017, 06:39:34 AM »

It's on YT. Watch it first, then decide whether you'll buy it or not. Wink

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16783 on: February 14, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »

I was about to write something... but I won't. Lips Sealed
DO IT

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16784 on: February 15, 2017, 01:31:14 AM »

The Ox-Bow Incident (1943): A mob mentality story set in Western times. Enjoyed it a fair bit, its short length really helps the movie (altho maybe I blinked too much, but I can't say I saw Mary Beth Hughes?!)... Cringy final moments however (I did like the way it was shot, with Morgan's hat obscuring Fonda's eyes). 7/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM