Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:59:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768393 times)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16785 on: February 15, 2017, 01:31:14 AM »

The Ox-Bow Incident (1943): A mob mentality story set in Western times. Enjoyed it a fair bit, its short length really helps the movie (altho maybe I blinked too much, but I can't say I saw Mary Beth Hughes?!)... Cringy final moments however (I did like the way it was shot, with Morgan's hat obscuring Fonda's eyes). 7/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16786 on: February 15, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »

DO IT

Check wiki.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16787 on: February 15, 2017, 11:44:02 AM »

The Ox-Bow Incident (1943): A mob mentality story set in Western times. Enjoyed it a fair bit, its short length really helps the movie (altho maybe I blinked too much, but I can't say I saw Mary Beth Hughes?!)... Cringy final moments however (I did like the way it was shot, with Morgan's hat obscuring Fonda's eyes). 7/10

A lot of Ws have a topic of their own in the ''Other Films'' section of our forum. Check the indexes before posting here where it will get buried beneath other stuff: most of the discussions about them go on there. Wink

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:45:25 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16788 on: February 15, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »

Check wiki.
i did... what's your point? It's called Moana and it's a Disney movie. I guess most people will say it's better than just 'all right'? To me it's just another animated movie that happens to look really good

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16789 on: February 15, 2017, 03:12:13 PM »

Chronicle (2012) -

A solid 3/5

Kingsmen: The Secret Service (2015) - 4/5

Far better than I expected.

Heavy Metal (1981)

I'll rate the individual episodes more so than the film as a whole. I will not be rating the in-between sequences:

• Soft Landing - The rotoscoped 1959 Corvette being released from an orbiting Spaceship and entering earth's atmosphere is a great way to start this movie. The addition of Riggs 'Radar Rider' as the track that plays along only makes it greater. 5/5

• Harry Canyon - The setting is essentially What If late 1970's New York had been thrusted to the future and flying cars are now present. Harry Canyon is a taxi cab driver who has to deal with pricks trying to rob him and so has to use his incinerator ray daily. After incinerating a 1970's stereotypical punk, he stops in front of a Museum and witnesses a heist gone wrong. A big breasted women starts screaming for help and Harry gets himself involved with a crazy alien green orb that everybody wants called the Loc-Nar. (There is a great sequence before this story of the orb being dug up to the Blue Oyster Cult song 'Veteran of the Psychic Wars'). A noir-ish (but not full noir, we cannot consider this to go full film-noir) story with great narration. The best being the final one as  she's got a suitcase full of cash but gets greedy and pulls a gun, leaving Harry having to use his incinerator ray. 'I put it down as a two-day ride with one hell of a tip.' 5/5

• Den - An adaptation of Richard Corben's Den which hits more than misses. John Candy voicing the protagonist, a 15 year old boy who gets transported into the world of Neverwhere and from there it becomes the the historical account of what 15 year old's in the 1970's would fantasize about. Being a muscular man and getting all the nonhuman bodily shaped women. If it was played straight, it wouldn't amount to much but with John Candy saying lines such as 'There was no way I was gonna walk around this place with my dork hanging out!' and the great score by Elmer Bernstein. This gets a 4/5.

• Captain Sternn - One of my least favorites but its short so it gets a pass. Gets an extra point for using Cheap Trick's 'Reach Out'. 2/5

• B-17 - Dan O'Bannon's story finally gets told but instead of using the lame idea of gremlins attacking the ship, it's now the skeletal remains of the crew that go after the living crew members. Great and short. 4/5

• So Beautiful, So Dangerous - The most disappointing segment being that it could have been great but instead it's just something to pass to get to the best part of the movie. It get's a point for the goofy great ship design. 1/5

• Taarna - A Mobius inspired (According to the cast and crew list on IMDB, he is not listed as being a part of production although those backgrounds sure do look like his work) story of a warrior woman named Taarna who is summoned to kill some green guys after they killed a village because of the Loc-Nar filling their hearts with hate as well as to have the Black Sabbath song 'The Mob Rules' playing as they kill and plumage. Taarna wears a skimpy leather outfit and doesn't speak but kills just about everything with her sword. Not much as far as story goes but the shots of vastness and just the overall look and feel of it sure does make it one of the best of the films segments.

Overall the film is a 3.9/5 (I can't give it a full 4) because of the two weaker segments but if you can dig the animation and late 70's/early 80's soundtrack then give it a watch.

Dust Devil
              Bounty Killer

View Profile
              « Reply #16790 on: February 16, 2017, 06:08:26 AM »

i did... what's your point? It's called Moana and it's a Disney movie. I guess most people will say it's better than just 'all right'? To me it's just another animated movie that happens to look really good

I missed the whole field, sorry. Smiley

Kurug3n
              Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
              « Reply #16791 on: February 16, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »

John Wick Chapter 2 (2017) - And . . . it's not very good (yeah, yeah, I should have gone to Lego Batman). Bad photography, badly directed, badly plotted. The Keanu Kurse continues to operate: no good sequels may be made with him aboard. All the best moments are in the trailer. There will be a John Wick 3, apparently. I still like the first one, but Chapter 2 gets a 5/10.

How can you say that a Keanu Kurse exists when the fantastic Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey exists. It puts this entire review into question.

noodles_leone
              Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
              « Reply #16792 on: February 16, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »

John Wick Chapter 2 (2017) - And . . . it's not very good (yeah, yeah, I should have gone to Lego Batman). Bad photography, badly directed, badly plotted. The Keanu Kurse continues to operate: no good sequels may be made with him aboard. All the best moments are in the trailer. There will be a John Wick 3, apparently. I still like the first one, but Chapter 2 gets a 5/10.

That's sad. Something good can be made with John Wick.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
              www.ThibautOskian.com
              dave jenkins
              Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
              « Reply #16793 on: February 18, 2017, 05:42:31 AM »

The New Centurions (1972) - 7/10. Richard Fleisher adapts Joseph Wambaugh's first novel, about LAPD patrolmen prior to the Watts riots, with George Scott as the crusty veteran and Stacy Keach as his rookie partner. Very episodic, the shooting was all done on authentic locations, including a decommissioned precinct house. Many young actors getting their start in features have bits and small roles: Scott Wilson, Erik Estrada, James Sikking, William Atherton. Even Ed Lauter shows up from time to time. The new UK blu looks very good and is coded for all regions.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
              XhcnoirX
              Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
              « Reply #16794 on: February 18, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »

Hollywoodland (2006): A fictional account of a private eye (Adrien Brody) who looks into the suicide of TV's first Superman George Reeves (Ben Affleck). Intriguing and pretty well made. 7/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
              dave jenkins
              Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
              « Reply #16795 on: February 18, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »

Lego Batman (2017) I'm laughing along to all the clever in-jokes and then suddenly everything shifts gears into a It Takes a Village theme. WTF? 4/10.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
              XhcnoirX
              Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
              « Reply #16796 on: February 18, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »

Heat (1995): Al Pacino and Robert De Niro go head to head in a classic cops & robbers movie that really didn't need to take this long. Good, not great. 7/10

noodles_leone
              Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
              « Reply #16797 on: February 19, 2017, 02:57:46 AM »

Heat (1995): Al Pacino and Robert De Niro go head to head in a classic cops & robbers movie that really didn't need to take this long. Good, not great. 7/10

I agree. Also, it takes itself way too seriously.

Zodiac 9/10
               Kiss Kiss Kiss

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
              www.ThibautOskian.com
              drinkanddestroy
              Global Moderator
              Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
              « Reply #16798 on: February 19, 2017, 08:09:17 AM »

I agree. Also, it takes itself way too seriously.

Zodiac 9/10
               Kiss Kiss Kiss

--- I thought Heat was incredible when I saw it many years ago.  Would watch it again before I argued with someone's rating

--- only you would talk about a movie (Zodiac) like it was  one of the very greatest pieces of art since the Mona Lisa, and only rate it a 9/10

Anything with Mark Ruffalo automaticaly gets brought down a notch. He's not terrible. Just average. A plain old nobody. (Actually, a plain old nobody who flies around the world in his private jet, shooting greenhouse gases in the air, to go to protests over global warming. But that's another story  Cheesy )

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
              Novecento
              Bounty Killer

View Profile
              « Reply #16799 on: February 19, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »

--- I thought Heat was incredible when I saw it many years ago.  Would watch it again before I argued with someone's rating

Great film. Although I'd take "Thief" over it.

Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
              « previous next »
              Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM