Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 10:34:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1124 1125 [1126] 1127 1128 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759505 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16875 on: March 15, 2017, 09:00:31 AM »

I DVR'd "Blindman" last night, now on Encore Western channel, starring Tony Anthony and Ringo Starr.  Have never heard of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindman

Is Ringo's character named Ringo?  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16876 on: March 15, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »

I DVR'd "Blindman" last night, now on Encore Western channel, starring Tony Anthony and Ringo Starr.  Have never heard of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindman
You could, you know, read the SLWB every once in a while: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1603.0

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16877 on: March 15, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »

I like Blindman a lot. Great score by Stelvio Cipriani and a lot of positive bizarreness. 8/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16878 on: March 17, 2017, 02:21:58 AM »

ORDINARY PEOPLE (1980) 4/10 (rented on iTunes)

A piece of shit that won Oscar for Best Picture.

Psychologist/trauma stories and dysfunctional family/squabbling stories do not interest me at all. This is a piece of trash. One good thing for Leone fans: Elizabeth McGovern plays a high-school girl, three years before OUATITA

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16879 on: March 17, 2017, 06:33:49 AM »

The Love Witch (2016) 6/10. Unfunny pastiche of 70s horror films. Anna Biller, the writer-director, claims it was not her intention to send up the genre anyway, but then, just what purpose the movie has remains mysterious. It is certainly an impressive re-creation: Ms. Biller herself did the authentic-looking set designs and costumes. Not sure who is responsible for the elaborate make-up, which must have been a project in itself. Snippets of Morricone on the soundtrack add a nice touch.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16880 on: March 18, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938) 9/10

Further discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11390.msg188282#msg188282

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16881 on: March 19, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »

Cold In July (2014): A man kills a burglar in his home, but when the burglar's dad starts stalking him and his family, and he also finds out the burglar was not who the police told him he was, things start to get really ugly. Good dark thriller that keeps throwing new twists at you, until the final, gruesome twist. 8/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16882 on: March 19, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »

Cold In July (2014): A man kills a burglar in his home, but when the burglar's dad starts stalking him and his family, and he also finds out the burglar was not who the police told him he was, things start to get really ugly. Good dark thriller that keeps throwing new twists at you, until the final, gruesome twist. 8/10

I saw it a few months ago I'd go a 7/10

The Yellow Canary (1963) directed by Buzz Kulik, with Pat  Boone, Barbara Eden, Jesse White, Jack Klugman, kidnap caper written by Rod Serling on a very crappy Youtube. May have been better with a better print.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:19:38 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16883 on: March 20, 2017, 08:24:27 AM »

Elle (2016) - 4/10. The Jagged Edge meets We Need to Talk About Kevin, with a bit of extra kink thrown in. And a double dollop of Female Empowerment, of course. The whole thing is nuts. Why is it right for a woman to upbraid her ex for domestic violence, and then go in search of rough trade from an anonymous partner? But I'm giving the film more thought than it deserves.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16884 on: March 20, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »

ORDINARY PEOPLE (1980) 4/10 (rented on iTunes)

A piece of shit that won Oscar for Best Picture.

Psychologist/trauma stories and dysfunctional family/squabbling stories do not interest me at all. This is a piece of trash. One good thing for Leone fans: Elizabeth McGovern plays a high-school girl, three years before OUATITA

I remember quite enjoying it. I do also like Pachelbel's "Canon in D" which no doubt helped.

Speaking of Robert Redford directorial efforts, I have always loved "A River Runs Through It"

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16885 on: March 20, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »

Hmm lets see

The James Dean Story (1957) - 3/5
Surprisingly unique and ahead of its time for what sounds like a generic documentary. One of Altman's first forays into feature film-making, this movie is a well-shot and interestingly edited portrait of Dean, but also a subtle examination of celebrity cult followings.

Raging Bull (1980) - 5/5
I've seen this 30+ times, but this is my first viewing in several years. Its one flaw for me at this point is the final act. Once we get to old fat Jake, the movie may as well be over. It's a required change in pace, but aside from the jail scene, mostly stuff I'm sick of watching. Regardless an obvious masterpiece.

After Hours (1985) - 5/5
Another case of an over-watched Scorsese movie that I haven't watched in 2 or 3 years. Its one flaw now, which is only due to my 15-20 viewings, is the redundancy in the story (crazy girl > run away > crazy girl > run away). At one point I considered this my favorite movie he's done, but maybe not anymore. that's my own fault.

Logan (2017) - 4/5
As good as superhero movies get. Other than Nolan's movies, probably my favorite in a sub-genre that I usually hate. It feels like a western at times - Hugh Jackman could play Clint Eastwood in a biopic. One scene, although annoyingly blatant in terms of connecting with the story, feature a little girl watching quite a bit of Shane.

Get Out (2017) - 4/5
Will likely one day be a classic in the horror genre. Not incredibly scary, but very creepy and suspenseful at times. In terms of its statements on blacks and racism in the world today, it's often very smart, but at one point in the middle doesn't feel much more thought provoking than "all white people are racist". I think it redeems itself on this toward the end - I'd have to watch again to know if I'm right or wrong about this.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16886 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:37 PM »

Hong Kong Confidential (1958): Gene Barry is a nightclub singer in Hong Kong. A middle eastern prince is kidnapped by the commies. Great, let's make a movie out of those 2 ideas. It's more entertaining than I make it sound, but don't expect a hidden gem. 6+/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxkMA93H8fo

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #16887 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »

Hong Kong Confidential I also saw not long ago because it's on youtube. I think 6/10 is generous. It was quite silly. A lounge lizard crooner turned spy?? That was odd.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16888 on: March 21, 2017, 04:29:07 AM »

Raw(2017) 7.5/10
Now that's an impressive first feature! It's also the only good horror movie I've seen for decades (granted, I don't watch these too much). Thoughtful camerawork, lots of cool ideas, actual characters (for the most part) and good (for the most part) performances all along... All of this is so rare in a French movie, let alone a first one, that I have no talk about them but the main feature is the plot: the film is the very smart tale of a vegan becoming a cannibal. It never goes where you think it's going, major plot twists are interestingly built up (don't expect any kind of "TADAAAAAAAAAAAAA! HE WAS DEAD ALL ALONNNNG" Shyamalan-like twists, it really isn't about that), in a way that is reminiscent of the amazing The Last of Us (yep, the videogame). I also like the way they interlaced the story with the medecine studies and their rituals.
The ending isn't as good as the reste of the movie (it goes the easy -if not cheesy- way, although the idea behind it is, once again, smart) andI'm not really sure about the rewatch value.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlXVX2af_Y

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:36:31 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16889 on: March 21, 2017, 08:28:26 AM »

Massacre Gun (1967) - 6/10. A yakuza turf-war film that starts out strong--in b&w 'Scope, with a great jazz score--then loses momentum and bogs down into a series of scenes with characters acting stupidly. That deserted boat where the gambling is supposed to be going on--looks like a set-up, right? And the characters agree, but decide to check it out anyway. And checking it out ends up meaning walking right into the trap. And there they are, trapped in the hold, a million guys shooting at them. [Where are all the ricochets?] And suddenly the guys who were cornered have escaped! As the stupidities piled on, I checked out. Amazon Primers can watch it for free here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEGB5EG

Pages: 1 ... 1124 1125 [1126] 1127 1128 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM