Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 11:14:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1125 1126 [1127] 1128 1129 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765469 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16890 on: March 22, 2017, 06:47:40 AM »

Raw(2017) 7.5/10
Now that's an impressive first feature! It's also the only good horror movie I've seen for decades (granted, I don't watch these too much). Thoughtful camerawork, lots of cool ideas, actual characters (for the most part) and good (for the most part) performances all along... All of this is so rare in a French movie, let alone a first one, that I have no talk about them but the main feature is the plot: the film is the very smart tale of a vegan becoming a cannibal. It never goes where you think it's going, major plot twists are interestingly built up (don't expect any kind of "TADAAAAAAAAAAAAA! HE WAS DEAD ALL ALONNNNG" Shyamalan-like twists, it really isn't about that), in a way that is reminiscent of the amazing The Last of Us (yep, the videogame). I also like the way they interlaced the story with the medecine studies and their rituals.
The ending isn't as good as the reste of the movie (it goes the easy -if not cheesy- way, although the idea behind it is, once again, smart) andI'm not really sure about the rewatch value.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlXVX2af_Y
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/la-theater-provides-barf-bags-cannibal-movie-raw-987788

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16891 on: March 22, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »

Grin

The film isn't that gory. As usual, what is suggested is way more disturbing than what is shown.
On other news, and for what it's worth, RAW has now been publicly acclaimed by both Mr Edgar Wright and M. Night Shyamalan.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16892 on: March 22, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »

M. Night Shyamalan.
Cannibalism plays a part in Mr. Shyamalan's latest, so that doesn't surprise me.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16893 on: March 22, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »

Beau Séjour (2017): A girl wakes up all bloody in a hotel room, but (almost) nobody can see her, because she's been murdered. As she sets out to find her killer, her death starts to cause tears in the small town community she's from. Not a movie, but a brilliant dark & intense 10-episode TV series from Belgium. I haven't been this touched by a TV series in a long long time. Supposedly it's been picked up by Netflix for international distribution. Don't miss it. 9/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16894 on: March 22, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »

The Idiot - 5/10
I've seen twenty-something Kurosawa films, and sadly this one joins Sanjuro as one that I just don't like very much. I don't think the four hour cut would have helped, either.

BoJack Horseman - 8/10
First three seasons, caught up to this point. Excellent stuff. Of those I've seen, one of the most unique animated sitcoms in terms of long form narrative storytelling. Oh, and more importantly, it's fucking funny.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16895 on: March 23, 2017, 04:05:37 AM »

Beau Séjour (2017): A girl wakes up all bloody in a hotel room, but (almost) nobody can see her, because she's been murdered. As she sets out to find her killer, her death starts to cause tears in the small town community she's from. Not a movie, but a brilliant dark & intense 10-episode TV series from Belgium. I haven't been this touched by a TV series in a long long time. Supposedly it's been picked up by Netflix for international distribution. Don't miss it. 9/10

I'm lust watching this, it is entertaining, but so far I'm not as enthusiastic as you. After 6 episodes a 7/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16896 on: March 23, 2017, 04:34:47 AM »

BoJack Horseman - 8/10
First three seasons, caught up to this point. Excellent stuff. Of those I've seen, one of the most unique animated sitcoms in terms of long form narrative storytelling. Oh, and more importantly, it's fucking funny.

BoJack all the way, dude. I really like it. You just have to hold on a little for the first few episodes: they aren't as funny as the show can be, and the power of the narration really strikes towards the end of season 1 ("Am I a good person?"
I love the show, especially it should be nothing more than an animated version of Californication and really succeeds in becoming much more than that. But if you're looking for groundbreaking animated show, Rick and Morty is the hottest thing right now.

I'm lust watching this, it is entertaining, but so far I'm not as enthusiastic as you. After 6 episodes a 7/10

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on this as soon as it's available on Netflix.

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16897 on: March 23, 2017, 04:52:32 AM »

Sounds a bit like Siesta (1987) http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12661.msg184571#msg184571

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16898 on: March 23, 2017, 11:10:38 AM »

That one is on my watch list (I seem to recall you also posted that review on te old IMDb boards)... Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to move it up a few spots Smiley

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16899 on: March 23, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »

I used to visit Dilsen-Stokkem, where it takes place, quite regularly, and some of the characters and the way they interact really brings back memories. So yes, my high rating is partly triggered by that Smiley

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16900 on: March 23, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »

BoJack all the way, dude. I really like it. You just have to hold on a little for the first few episodes: they aren't as funny as the show can be, and the power of the narration really strikes towards the end of season 1 ("Am I a good person?"
I love the show, especially it should be nothing more than an animated version of Californication and really succeeds in becoming much more than that. But if you're looking for groundbreaking animated show, Rick and Morty is the hottest thing right now.

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on this as soon as it's available on Netflix.
ive heard many great things about rick and morty from bojack fans, will consider watching. "Am i a good person" is definitely the episode that pulled me in for good.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16901 on: March 24, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »

ive heard many great things about rick and morty from bojack fans, will consider watching.

Every single person involved in screenwriting should watch Rick and Morty season 2 as soon as possible.

"Am i a good person" is definitely the episode that pulled me in for good.

"Am I a good person" is the scene I show to people who stopped watching BoJack after a couple of episodes.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16902 on: March 25, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »

La gueule ouverte / The Mouth Agape (1974) - 9/10. A woman with a terminal illness dies at home while her family--her husband, adult son, daughter-in-law--look on helplessly. But life goes on and the men get laid as often as they can (they're French). Pialat eschews all melodrama here--there's certainly none of that fantasy BS that ruined Amour--and we get the experience as naturalistically as possible. The scene where they put the actress in a coffin and screw the lid down is not something I will forget soon. There is no non-diegetic music in the film. What the hell happened to French cinema?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16903 on: March 25, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »

The Nouvelle Vague and its politique des auteurs happened. It was great at the time but was used as an excuse for the 2 following generations. And those who try to rebel against this heritage tend to go too far and try to mimic the worst in American films.
Also, the state support system became extremely wicked and destroyed the whole industry bit by bit. I could go into detail to explain all of this but in the end, the only thing that matters is that the next 2 decades may very well be a new golden age. We shall see.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16904 on: March 26, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »

Kolya(1996) - 8/10. Everything in this Czech feature works well, including the integration of the personal story with the political one. And the production was really, really lucky with the Russian five-year-old they got to play the title character. Usually I just want to take a tire iron to these midgets, but I didn't mind this kid at all. And it never hurts to have plenty of Dvorak on the soundtrack.

Pages: 1 ... 1125 1126 [1127] 1128 1129 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM