Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:21:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1126 1127 [1128] 1129 1130 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760922 times)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16905 on: March 26, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »

Marlowe (2007): Pilot for a TV series that never happened. Stars Jason O'Mara as Philip Marlowe, but aside from a few quotes that come from Chandler's books/movies, he and this movie/episode bears little resemblance to the classic Marlowe. It's not bad, but it's pretty generic & instantly forgettable. 6/10

I cam across this on the excellent Mysteryfile site which also has an embedded YT video of the pilot: http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=38710

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16906 on: March 26, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »

Marlowe (2007): Pilot for a TV series that never happened. Stars Jason O'Mara as Philip Marlowe, but aside from a few quotes that come from Chandler's books/movies, he and this movie/episode bears little resemblance to the classic Marlowe. It's not bad, but it's pretty generic & instantly forgettable. 6/10

I cam across this on the excellent Mysteryfile site which also has an embedded YT video of the pilot: http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=38710

Thanks for the heads up.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16907 on: March 26, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »

Deepwater Horizon (2016) - 7.5/10
Really enjoyable action/thriller/drama based on the BP Oil Spill.

Song to Song (2017) - 8.5/10
Right off the bat, one of my favorite Malick movies. He continues his questionable, fragmented editing style of his past two narrative films, but really makes it succeed here. Like everything he's done, it would benefit so much from 15-20 minutes being chopped off. Really loved most of this movie, can see myself watching it several more times.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16908 on: March 26, 2017, 08:01:08 PM »

Rage (1966) Directed by Gilberto Gazcˇn, it stars Glenn Ford, Stella Stevens, David Reynoso and Armando Silvestre, an interesting Mexican film about a doctor who gets bit by a rabid dog, drags a bit at times. Stella provides a lot of eye candy, 6.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #16909 on: March 27, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »

As I've been on a Stanley Baker binge, I watched Zulu. Brilliant. 10/10.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16910 on: March 28, 2017, 01:56:18 AM »

Two of the lesser known TV Philip Marlowe's in a row Smiley

Fallen Angels - Red Wind (1995): Danny Glover plays Marlowe as he gets caught up in a murder and double blackmail case involving Kelly Lynch and her husband Ron Rifkin. Re-watch, liked it a bit better this time around, altho Glover and Lynch are miscast.  6/10

This was the final episode of a neo-noir anthology show that ran for 2 seasons called 'Fallen Angels'. Season 2 was released on DVD in the UK under the name 'Perfect Crimes', that's how I watched it.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16911 on: March 28, 2017, 02:45:42 AM »

The Long Gray Line (1955) 6.5/10 (TCM)

John Ford directed this biopic of Martin Maher (played by Tyrone Power) who spent 50 years at West Point.

Lots of John Ford usual actors here (Maureen O'Hara, Harry Carey Jr., Ward Bond, Donald Crisp, the insufferable Patrick Wayne, and others). Lots of the usual Ford Irish shtick. That sort of stuff is ok as occasional comic relief as part of a bigger movie; but in this case, it's just about the whole movie.

Nice use of Technicolor; one of the final scenes (the Christmas Eve scene) is very good; the whole military marching and music (plenty of Irish music, like Garryowen) is nice, but overall, this is, as Groggy put it, a middling John Ford film.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16912 on: March 28, 2017, 02:49:56 AM »

The Seventh Victim (1943) 2/10 (TCM)

An absolute piece of shit.

Kim Hunter's first movie. Her performance is crap. The whole movie is crap.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16913 on: March 28, 2017, 03:39:08 AM »

The Seventh Victim (1943) 2/10 (TCM)

An absolute piece of shit.

Kim Hunter's first movie. Her performance is crap. The whole movie is crap.

I really enjoy this movie. It's very atmospheric, dark, beautifully shot and quite daring/shocking for the time (the ending in particular). I rated it 8/10.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16914 on: March 28, 2017, 03:59:02 AM »

I really enjoy this movie. It's very atmospheric, dark, beautifully shot and quite daring/shocking for the time (the ending in particular). I rated it 8/10.

DRINKANDDESTROY's full of crap, he doesn't appreciate, atmospheric, dark, beautifully shot and quite daring/shocking for the time films.  Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16915 on: March 28, 2017, 04:27:05 AM »

The Cry Baby Killer (1958) Jack Nicholson's first film, nothing special 5/10.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16916 on: March 28, 2017, 05:46:14 AM »

Yep, a wonderful film. Creepy and very atmospheric, like most of the Val Lewton produced horror films. Maybe the 2nd best after I Walked with a Zombie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16917 on: March 29, 2017, 11:24:14 AM »

Blow-up (1966) - 7/10. The new CC blu is the occasion for this re-visit (the transfer is generally good, although David Hemmings often looks a bit too orange). What's good about the film: the setting, the photography, the photography IN the photography, Hemmings himself, Sarah Miles and her interaction with Hemmings, the Yardbirds pretending to be the Who. What's not-so-good: Vanessa Redgrave (built like a bloke), the interminable scene with Jane Birken and her pal, the mimes. If only the Soderbergh cut could have been used (a non-official cut that removed the mimes). Looking at it now, it's obvious Antonioni was simply recycling elements from his earlier films, elements that are better enjoyed in their original settings. In future, that is where I am most likely to view them.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16918 on: March 29, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »

The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973) With friends like these you don't need enemies. Directed by Peter Yates (Bullitt (1968)). Screenplay by Paul Monash based on the book by George V. Higgins. Cinematography by Victor J. Kemper and Music by Dave Grusin (The Nickel Ride (1974), Mulholland Falls (1996)).  

Eddie "Fingers" Coyle (Mitchum). A small time wiseguy. Lives in an older, rundown, Dorchester, Boston neighborhood. He's got a wife and three kids. Eddie's got loads of "friends, : but with friends like these you don't need enemies.

Mitchum eyes perpetually at half mast now gives off a look more world weary than that of a cool nonchalance of his earlier roles. He's very convincing as the two time loser faced with doing some serious time.  Boyle is good as the unassuming, under the radar, hit man. Rocco is believable as the lead bank robber, Santos equally as his second banana. Keats steals all the scenes he's in, and Jordan plays the manipulating lawman well.

The film really captures the ambiance of the dives and dumps of the South end of Boston in the early 1970's. 7/10

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:38:15 PM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16919 on: March 29, 2017, 07:18:12 PM »

The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973) With friends like these you don't need enemies. Directed by Peter Yates (Bullitt (1968)). Screenplay by Paul Monash based on the book by George V. Higgins. Cinematography by Victor J. Kemper and Music by Dave Grusin (The Long Goodbye (1973), The Nickel Ride (1974), Mulholland Falls (1996)). 

Eddie "Fingers" Coyle (Mitchum). A small time wiseguy. Lives in an older, rundown, Dorchester, Boston neighborhood. He's got a wife and three kids. Eddie's got loads of "friends, : but with friends like these you don't need enemies.

Mitchum eyes perpetually at half mast now gives off a look more world weary than that of a cool nonchalance of his earlier roles. He's very convincing as the two time loser faced with doing some serious time.  Boyle is good as the unassuming, under the radar, hit man. Rocco is believable as the lead bank robber, Santos equally as his second banana. Keats steals all the scenes he's in, and Jordan plays the manipulating lawman well.

The film really captures the ambiance of the dives and dumps of the South end of Boston in the early 1970's. 7/10

You give this a 7/10 and every two-bit piece of crap with Dutch angles gets a 10/10? Bullmotherfuckingshit!

Pages: 1 ... 1126 1127 [1128] 1129 1130 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM