Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:11:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769757 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16935 on: March 30, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »

CJ, I heard that if you drop too much acid, you lose your color-vision. I think you should drop lots of acid, and roll your head around in the gutter like a junkie. That way, you'll see everything as a black-and-white, Dutch angle, and can even look up babes' skirts. You could be LIVING in a noir  Evil

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16936 on: March 30, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »

CJ, I heard that if you drop too much acid, you lose your color-vision. I think you should drop lots of acid, and roll your head around in the gutter like a junkie. That way, you'll see everything as a black-and-white, Dutch angle, and can even look up babes' skirts. You could be LIVING in a noir  Evil

my, my, aren't you clever.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16937 on: March 31, 2017, 01:58:10 AM »

Midnight Cowboy 7.5/10

Some usual Schlesinger manierisms haven't aged quite as well as they could have, and Jon Voight's acting goes from really touching to absolutely terrible often in the course of a single scene. But Hoffman, in one of his best roles, holds the film together, the two characters wandering in the streets of 1960's NYC while John Barry's music is playing is a true vision of Cinema and of course, this story of desperate loneliness and dreams that were broken from the start is gut wreching.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:10:05 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16938 on: March 31, 2017, 06:15:06 AM »

One More Time With Feeling (2016) - 6/10. Nick Cave loses a son (in a tragic accident) but gains an Andrew Dominik documentary. In b&w. In 3-D b&w (but my system could only manage 2-D--maybe I missed something really good?). A lot of time is spent in the studio laying down the tracks for Skeleton Tree, an album I like. Unhappily, there are also many incoherent interviews about the relationship of trauma to art. But just when you thought there were no surprises to be had, Dominik pulls a Wenders!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16939 on: March 31, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »

Guns for San Sebastian (1968) 7.5/10

Further discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1809.msg188637#msg188637

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16940 on: April 01, 2017, 03:43:07 AM »

Tell Me In The Sunlight (1965) Directed by Steve Cochran. Writing Credits go to Steve Cochran, Jo Heims, and Robert Stevens. The cinematography was by Rod Yould and the music by Michael Andersen.

In Nassau in the Bahamas, an American Supercargo on leave picks up a beautiful exotic dancer for a casual fling, but falls in love with her in spite of having just met her. She seems to feel the same way for him, but she already has a boyfriend. This leads to an awkward and unpredictable love triangle that could become dangerous. (from IMDb)

A must see for Steve Cochran fans. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16941 on: April 01, 2017, 06:54:41 AM »

an American Supercargo on leave
I'm not familiar with this term. It seems an odd thing to apply to an individual, but what do I know? Joe, can you explain?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16942 on: April 01, 2017, 07:55:26 AM »

127 hours 6/10
The whole flashbacks/visions/meaning of life aspect unfortunately feels exactly like what it is: a filler. J. Franco proves once again he's a good supporting actor but cannot carry a movie by himself (he sure is aging well, so that may change in a decade). Danny Boyle once again proves to be audacious and inventive but still has a terrible taste and the whole thing looks like a GoPro commercial (that went wrong). All in all, not much to criticize, but pointless. Clean and pointless.

www.ThibautOskian.com
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16943 on: April 01, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »

Ghost In The Shell (2017): Total CGI fest that tries to look like Blade Runner and add some 'depth' to the run-of-the-mill story, but ultimately is mostly eye candy. Tasty and enjoyable eye candy, but still. Not seen the original anime, so I can't compare it. 6/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16944 on: April 01, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »

127 hours 6/10
The whole flashbacks/visions/meaning of life aspect unfortunately feels exactly like what it is: a filler. J. Franco proves once again he's a good supporting actor but cannot carry a movie by himself (he sure is aging well, so that may change in a decade). Danny Boyle once again proves to be audacious and inventive but still has a terrible taste and the whole thing looks like a GoPro commercial (that went wrong). All in all, not much to criticize, but pointless. Clean and pointless.
I saw this title recently on a list of the top 10 films of the current decade (American Sniper was #1). This was pretty high on the list. I have not seen it, but reading your review you confirmed to me what I'd always suspected about the film. Am I right to infer you think the thing could be radically improved by cutting most of the flashbacks?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16945 on: April 01, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »

As is, yes you're right. It would be a simple survival that doesn't try to sell you something it isn't.
That being said, to be perfectly honest, almost all the flashbacks are shown in a way that makes sense in the film - not thematically but because the poor guy is on the verge of losing his mind so he's actually disoriented with the flashbacks coming at him. Still, they don't say anything, so they should have cut them out.

By the way, i caught it on Netflix (available since... today, on the French Netflix at least) if you have 90min to lose.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:02:59 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16946 on: April 01, 2017, 03:26:48 PM »

I'm not familiar with this term. It seems an odd thing to apply to an individual, but what do I know? Joe, can you explain?

From Wiki: A supercargo (from Spanish sobrecargo) is a person employed on board a vessel by the owner of cargo carried on the ship. The duties of a supercargo are defined by admiralty law and include managing the cargo owner's trade, selling the merchandise in ports to which the vessel is sailing, and buying and receiving goods to be carried on the return voyage.

He has control of the cargo unless limited by his contract or other agreement. For instance, the supercargo has no authority over the stevedores, and he has no role in the necessary preparatory work prior to the handling of cargo. Because a supercargo sails from port to port with the vessel to which he is attached, he differs from a factor, who has a fixed place of residence at a port or other trading place.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16947 on: April 01, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »

127 hours 6/10
i thought this we a very very good movie, but yeah, it doesn't need to be a feature. I've seen it 3 or 4 times now so it's certainly above a 6 for me, but I definitely like it less now than I did when it first came out.

I'd consider it one of Boyles best movies, but that being said I don't love his style anyways.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16948 on: April 02, 2017, 04:26:08 AM »

Rick and Morty - Season 3 Episode 1 12/10
What the hell.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile