Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:10:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1835446 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16995 on: April 13, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »

Never understood the plot on this one. Why is it the "seconds" organization does what it does? I can't see a money motive OR a political one. Just Will Geer's weird hobby?

They charge $30,000 to give you a second life, they fake your death with an appropriate cadaver giving it your teeth, fingerprints, etc. You get a new face a new body, a new career, a new location, your family is provided for. But there is a catch. It a good film.

You can watch it here: https://archive.org/details/John.Frankenheimer..Seconds.1966angeeParaZoowoman.website

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16996 on: April 13, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »

They charge $30,000 to give you a second life, they fake your death with an appropriate cadaver giving it your teeth, fingerprints, etc. You get a new face a new body, a new career, a new location, your family is provided for. But there is a catch. It a good film.

You can watch it here: https://archive.org/details/John.Frankenheimer..Seconds.1966angeeParaZoowoman.website

Not yet seen this movie, your synopsis and especially the 'But there is a catch' line reminds me a lot of a Twilight Zone episode, 'Button, Button'... Guess I'll have to download it now and and find out  Wink

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16997 on: April 13, 2017, 06:40:10 PM »

Yeah, so they do all that for 30K. Enough to cover expenses. What's the point of just breaking even? Especially when they are running incredible risks. Hudson flakes out on them--it must happen all the time. There are always many malcontents in any kind of organization. These people become whistleblowers. Even the most ruthless group can't kill all those who would inform against them.
And how is this organization going to keep going if it can't maintain its clandestine status? It's a heck of a hard way to earn 30K a head. Wouldn't it pay better to rob banks? Stoopid, stoopid film.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16998 on: April 13, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »

Stoopid, stoopid film.

But so wonderfully shot.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16999 on: April 13, 2017, 07:10:51 PM »

Yeah, so they do all that for 30K. Enough to cover expenses. What's the point of just breaking even? Especially when they are running incredible risks. Hudson flakes out on them--it must happen all the time. There are always many malcontents in any kind of organization. These people become whistleblowers. Even the most ruthless group can't kill all those who would inform against them.
And how is this organization going to keep going if it can't maintain its clandestine status? It's a heck of a hard way to earn 30K a head. Wouldn't it pay better to rob banks? Stoopid, stoopid film.

Did you watch it? I didn't give away what they do to the malcontents  Azn

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17000 on: April 13, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »

Yeah, I watched it years ago. I owned it on LD. You can't get rid of malcontents the way they do it consistently. The organization never fucks up? It only takes one person drawing attention to the organization for the whole scheme to collapse. One person gets away, or they die mysteriously and people start asking questions.

It's true that the photography is very nice. If that's all you need to enjoy a film, more power to ya. I need a plot that coheres.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17001 on: April 14, 2017, 05:50:16 AM »

Yeah, I watched it years ago. I owned it on LD. You can't get rid of malcontents the way they do it consistently. The organization never fucks up? It only takes one person drawing attention to the organization for the whole scheme to collapse. One person gets away, or they die mysteriously and people start asking questions.

It's true that the photography is very nice. If that's all you need to enjoy a film, more power to ya. I need a plot that coheres.

Did Murder Inc., not fuck up eventually? That didn't make it any less real. Does not a witness protection program exist today along similar lines?

Hey, It's like most Noir, ridiculous choices, implausible scenarios, what the fuck do you want a documentary, you suspend disbelief, watch it again sometime you may change your mind.

I change my mind about stuff I've watched years ago all the time. Case in point Night Moves. Give it another shot.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17002 on: April 14, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »

Kansas City Confidential (1952) 8/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17003 on: April 15, 2017, 05:07:36 PM »

Q (1982) Directed by Larry Cohen, stars David Carradine, Michael Moriarty, Candy Clark, Richard Roundtree, winged serpent attacks New York. watchable 6/10.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:08:56 PM by cigar joe » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17004 on: April 15, 2017, 08:04:12 PM »

Horace and Pete (2016) - 10/10
Second viewing, a year since its initial run. If this were a film, I'd consider it close to the best ever made. It's perfectly written - if I were a high school English teacher, fuck Arthur Miller or Tennessee Williams - my class would be all about Horace and Pete. It pushes the mix of drama and humor to the absolute extreme, and executes it perfectly. But fear not D&D - this is in no way a comedy. Louis, Buscemi, Alan Alda, Edie Falco are perfect. And Laurie Metcalf - has there ever been a better female performance? More of you need to see this... n_l can back me up (but maybe not as enthusiastically as I put it)

Edit: at least 3 uses of 'perfect' in that write-up is saying something

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:12:16 PM by PowerRR » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17005 on: April 16, 2017, 06:30:49 AM »

Horace and Pete (2016) - 10/10
Second viewing, a year since its initial run. If this were a film, I'd consider it close to the best ever made. It's perfectly written - if I were a high school English teacher, fuck Arthur Miller or Tennessee Williams - my class would be all about Horace and Pete. It pushes the mix of drama and humor to the absolute extreme, and executes it perfectly. But fear not D&D - this is in no way a comedy. Louis, Buscemi, Alan Alda, Edie Falco are perfect. And Laurie Metcalf - has there ever been a better female performance? More of you need to see this... n_l can back me up (but maybe not as enthusiastically as I put it)

Edit: at least 3 uses of 'perfect' in that write-up is saying something

Is it on Netflix yet?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17006 on: April 16, 2017, 06:53:29 AM »

Is it on Netflix yet?
its on Hulu. It's also on YouTube, but two key scenes on episodes 5 and 10 have music that mutes out due to copyright,, which also mutes the dialogue. Or they can be purchased on Louis CKs website for $3 per episode (there's 10)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17007 on: April 16, 2017, 06:55:33 AM »

thanks

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17008 on: April 16, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »

The Zookeeper's Wife (2017) 7.5/10

Based on a true story of heroism during the Holocaust, in which a Polish family used their zoo to hide, and save the lives of nearly 300 Jews.

Jan Zabinski (played by Flemish actor Johan Heldenbergh), is a zoologist, the zookeeper at the Warsaw Zoo, in 1939. His wife Antonia (Jessica Chastain) assists him. The family has a home right next to the zoo.

When World War II comes to Poland, the Nazis liquidate the zoo, saving only some choice stock for a special breeding program they have, under the auspices of chief Nazi zoologist Lutz Heck (Daniel Bruhl)  to re-create extinct species that the Nazis consider to be racially pure (apparently,  the crackpot Nazi theories regarding racial purity was not just with humans).

The Nazis begin herdig Warsaw's Jews into the infamous Warsaw Ghetto, and Jan and Antonia come up with a plan to try to rescue as many Jews as possible, using the zoo as cover. But first they need an excuse to reopen the zoo ...

The rest of this post will contain spoilers. You've been warned

They go to Lutz Heck, whom they have "befriended," with the idea to open a pig farm on the zoo, to raise pigs to feed the Nazi soldiers. Heck is keen on the idea. How will they feed the pigs? Simple. Jan gets a truck with access to the ghetto, and he goes and picks up the garbage from the ghetto, and feeds that to the pigs. Secretly, during his trips in and out of the ghetto, he hides Jews in his truck and brings them to his home, which has a tunnel to the zoo's cages. Some Jews hide in the cages, until the Zabinskis can sneak them out elsewhere - after giving them forged passports and new identities. Some Jews hide in the Zabinski home itself.

This is a real story of heroism during humanity's darkest times.

The movie is based on a book of the same name, which is based on the diary of Antonia Zabinski, which has been published in Polish.

To compare movie to reality, see here
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/zookeepers-wife/

It seems like there were only a few small changes; this movie seems pretty close to accurate.

Based on that link:

In the movie, once the Warsaw Uprising begins, we see Jan take up arms with the Polish partisans and fight the Nazis. In reality, Jan was with the Polish Underground all along - even his wife did not know the extent of his activities. This is one aspect I wish the movie had focused on a bit more, his Underground activities.
Also, the movie only focuses on the Jews he saved, but he also used the zoo to hide Polish partisans as well. Also, sometimes he poisoned the pork that he gave the Nazis; this is not mentioned in the movie. And there is a scene where Lutz Heck takes the Zabinkis' little boy behind their house and fires a shot ... Antonia is distraught, thinking that her son is dead. Turns out the Nazi had just fired the shot into the air - a sadistic Nazi game. In real-life, that happened with other Nazis, not Heck.
Also, the movie shows Jan getting shot before he is taken prisoner by the Nazis; according to the above link, he was captured and taken prisoner, but it does not say that he was shot.

Anyway, these are generally small differences; the movie seems pretty accurate.

What does not make sense to me is how there was all that leftover food garbage from the Warsaw Ghetto available to feed the pigs. People were starving in the Warsaw Ghetto. People were literally dying of starvation. Children begged for crusts of bread that their heartbroken mothers did not have. There is no way that all that leftiver food would have been thrown away. Something does not make sense there.

Here is the Zabinskis's page on Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_and_Antonina_%C5%BBabi%C5%84ski

The Zabinkis were honored by the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial in Israel as one of the "Righteous Among the Nations," non-Jews who saved Jews from the Holocaust.

The performances are all good - though Chastain's Polish accent is pretty laughable. One performance I want to note specially: One of the children rescued by the Zabinskis is a young girl who was raped by two Nazis. At first she is too shell-shocked to even speak. This girl is a young Israeli actress named Shira Haas  http://m.imdb.com/name/nm6024635/bio?ref_=m_mn_ov_bio her performamce, even in scenes where she does not say a word, is unbelieveable.

Good movie. I saw it at the crappy AMC theater on 19th Street and Broadway.
---

Special for DJ, and totally inappropriately for a movie like this, there is a completely gratuitious shot of Jessica Chastain's tits early in the movie.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:13:35 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17009 on: April 17, 2017, 05:40:07 AM »

Special for DJ, and totally inappropriately for a movie like this, there is a completely gratuitious shot of Jessica Chastain's tits early in the movie.
Glad to hear she's expanding her range. Are they any good?

Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM