Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 09:14:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838187 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17010 on: April 17, 2017, 06:06:18 AM »

Special for DJ, and totally inappropriately for a movie like this, there is a completely gratuitous shot of Jessica Chastain's tits early in the movie.

Something wrong with gratuitous? There is a lot of Classic Art that would fall under that, and I'm always gratified when I see it.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17011 on: April 17, 2017, 09:01:53 AM »

Not yet seen this movie, your synopsis and especially the 'But there is a catch' line reminds me a lot of a Twilight Zone episode, 'Button, Button'... Guess I'll have to download it now and and find out  Wink

Decided to just play ball after your review... Ordered the Eureka MoC blu-ray of Seconds over the weekend. It will hopefully arrive here soon.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17012 on: April 17, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »

Decided to just play ball after your review... Ordered the Eureka MoC blu-ray of Seconds over the weekend. It will hopefully arrive here soon.

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17013 on: April 17, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »

Meridian (2016): Mid 40s. When a police detective goes to check out a strange sighting at an LA beach and doesn't call in, his captain drives out there, only to find an abandoned cop car... A short made for Netflix as a sort of open source testcase it's decently done, combining a supernatural mystery with a 40s police procedural setting. 6/10

See also http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/netflix-meridian-imf-tools-open-source-1201859416/

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17014 on: April 18, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »

Nobels Testamente / Nobel's Last Will (2012): At the annual Nobel price gala the winner and the chairwoman of the committee are shot by an assassin. As the media focuses on the price winner, crime journalist & witness Annika Bengtzon (Malin Crépin) thinks the chairwoman was the real target. First of 6 Swedish movies starring Crépin as Annika Bengtzon (after 2 earlier attempts in 2003), this is not quite the Scandi noir I had hoped for. It's not bad, but also not good, it feels a bit sterile and soulless. Might give another movie in the series a try to see if things improve. 6/10

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:39:14 AM by XhcnoirX » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17015 on: April 18, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »

Sanctuary (1961) A Southern circa 1920s, William Faulkner's steamy tale. Temple Drake  (Lee Remick, The State Governor's daughter) and her boyfriend, Goodwin, drive to a moonshiner. There, after Goodwin drinks himself passed out drunk, Temple is seduced and raped by a Cajun,  The Candyman (Yves Montand) a bootlegger and pimp.  The Candyman and Temple become lovers and he keeps her in his whorehouse until he is supposedly killed during a bootleg run and a fight with revenuers.  After Temple is rescued she marries Goodwin though she doesn't love him.  The Candyman returns after five years and things get somewhat interesting but not quite enough. 6/10.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:34:28 PM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17016 on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »

Glad to hear she's expanding her range. Are they any good?

I think they were decent, as I recall. More than anything, I was stunned that she actually showed them in a movie like this. She and her hisband are sitting in bed, talking about the inpending war, and the blanket comes down and shows her tits. Not exactly a sex scene.

If you and CJ want, you can buy a ticket and leave after that scene; it's only around 20 minutes into the movie.

But it's actually a good movie. And this was a story I had never heard of before.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17017 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:58 PM »

Horace and Pete (2016) - 10/10
Second viewing, a year since its initial run. If this were a film, I'd consider it close to the best ever made. It's perfectly written - if I were a high school English teacher, fuck Arthur Miller or Tennessee Williams - my class would be all about Horace and Pete. It pushes the mix of drama and humor to the absolute extreme, and executes it perfectly. But fear not D&D - this is in no way a comedy. Louis, Buscemi, Alan Alda, Edie Falco are perfect. And Laurie Metcalf - has there ever been a better female performance? More of you need to see this... n_l can back me up (but maybe not as enthusiastically as I put it)

Edit: at least 3 uses of 'perfect' in that write-up is saying something

I was talking about it in similar terms (although a tad less enthousiastic here and there) an hour ago in a Casablanca nightclub.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17018 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:04 AM »

Horace and Pete (2016) - 10/10
Edit: at least 3 uses of 'perfect' in that write-up is saying something
It's saying you have an impoverished vocabulary. Instead of wasting time on this board, why not do some work with a dictionary for a change?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17019 on: April 19, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »

Sanctuary (1961) A Southern circa 1920s, William Faulkner's steamy tale. Temple Drake  (Lee Remick, The State Governor's daughter) and her boyfriend, Goodwin, drive to a moonshiner. There, after Goodwin drinks himself passed out drunk, Temple is seduced and raped by a Cajun,  The Candyman (Yves Montand) a bootlegger and pimp.  The Candyman and Temple become lovers and he keeps her in his whorehouse until he is supposedly killed during a bootleg run and a fight with revenuers.  After Temple is rescued she marries Goodwin though she doesn't love him.  The Candyman returns after five years and things get somewhat interesting but not quite enough. 6/10.
Huh, that sure is a change from the novel. I think the bad guy was called Popeye in that. Also, there was a trick he did with a corncob, but of course they couldn't put that in the movie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17020 on: April 19, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »

Huh, that sure is a change from the novel. I think the bad guy was called Popeye in that. Also, there was a trick he did with a corncob, but of course they couldn't put that in the movie.

Yea, it's way different than the synopsis I just read.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17021 on: April 19, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »

It's saying you have an impoverished vocabulary. Instead of wasting time on this board, why not do some work with a dictionary for a change?
have to watched Horace and Pete yet?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17022 on: April 19, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »

No. Is it available on disc?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »

No. Is it available on disc?
just online

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17024 on: April 20, 2017, 04:35:08 AM »

The 39 Steps (1935) directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring  Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll, Lucie Mannheim. Rewatched this last night, Richard Hannay (Donat) is a Canadian visitor to London. At the end of a vaudeville like "Mr Memory's" show in a music hall, he meets Annabella Smith (Mannheim) who is running away from secret agents after her. He hides her in his flat, but in the night she is knifed in the back. Afraid of both the counter agents and the police he goes on the run to Scotland with some rather cryptic information, to try and break up the spy ring. Some great cinematography, with a nice escape sequence on the Firth of Forth Bridge.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:38:34 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM