Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:12:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762587 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17055 on: April 30, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »

Sherlock, season 4 - 8/10
Now we're talking.

Stoker - 3/10
3 points for the strong flashback sequence, 3 points for Kidman's great acting minus 3 points for her horedeous lips job that make her unwatchable. Apart from that, Park Chan-Wook confirms he doesn't know shit about this whole "filmmaking" thing. I don't get how the same guy made Old Boy at some point.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17056 on: April 30, 2017, 05:49:32 PM »

Stoker - 3/10
3 points for the strong flashback sequence, 3 points for Kidman's great acting minus 3 points for her horedeous lips job that make her unwatchable. Apart from that, Park Chan-Wook confirms he doesn't know shit about this whole "filmmaking" thing. I don't get how the same guy made Old Boy at some point.
I think you are over-generous with your scoring, but you are substantially correct. Just when I thought the film couldn't get any worse, P C-W came up with an ending of unalloyed awfulness.  I guess you could say a certain amount of talent is required to do that.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17057 on: April 30, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »

La Strada (1954) - 9/10. There was once a Golden Age when all international stars could speak Italian. Also, a time when Fellini was content to tell a good story. It all ended so quickly.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17058 on: April 30, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »

La Strada (1954) - 9/10. There was once a Golden Age when all international stars could speak Italian. Also, a time when Fellini was content to tell a good story. It all ended so quickly.

I saw this once, at least five years ago. Do you actually hear Quinn's and Basehart's voices, speaking Italian?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:58:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17059 on: April 30, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »

No, I was making a funny.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17060 on: May 02, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »

The Day of the Jackal (1973). At over two hours and twenty minutes it could easily be too long, but this semi-documentary style movie manages to never be boring for a minute.
What I like most about the film is that it does without stereotypes. The audience never finds out who the Jackal really is, what makes him tick. He's a complete enigma. He doesn't have a psychosis, he isn't mentally unstable. He doesn't have political convictions, he doesn't hold a grudge, he doesn't try to justify his occupation. He's just a man doing his job.

9/10.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17061 on: May 02, 2017, 11:42:20 PM »

I saw this once, at least five years ago. Do you actually hear Quinn's and Basehart's voices, speaking Italian?

It is significant though that Quinn, in a letter to the director, admitted easily that this was his best performance ever. Quinn, of course, could speak a very good italian (being mexican and living here in his late years). But his character was dubbed with a peculiar accent of the area (Romagna) where Fellini was born. So whoever played the character would have been dubbed anyway. Basehart, that would have been interesting how much of italian he spoke after having been married to an italian.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17062 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:20 AM »

A Hatful Of Rain (1957) Dope & Soap Noir

John Pope (Lloyd Nolan) is up from Florida to visit his two sons and his new daughter-in-law. They live in the Alfred Smith housing project in the Two Bridges neighborhood of the Lower East Side of Manhattan. John has bought an option on a beachside bar in Ft. Lauderdale, he's also up to collect the $2,500 that Polo saved up for him to complete the renovations.

Johnny Polo (Don Murray) is a Korean War vet and a hero. Polo Pope (Anthony Franciosa) is a bouncer in a NYC bar. Celia Pope (Eva Marie Saint) is pregnant with his grandchild. When John finds out that Polo blew the $2,500 he refuses to speak to him. Polo tells him that he gambled it away but in reality he's been giving to to Johnny who is hooked on heroin. Johnny was wounded in the back and got hooked on morphine while recovering in the VA hospital.

Don Murray is compelling as a man with a monkey on his back, Lloyd Nolan is doing his regular schtick, and Eva Marie Saint is still in her frumpish plain jane looking stage quite a far cry from her turn in North By Northwest, it's hard to believe they are the same actress. Henry Silva, Gerald S. O'Loughlin, and William Hickey needed to be utilized a bit more.

It all just seems a bit too talky and not enough showy, the apartment sequences seem to drag a lot betraying the films play source. The film comes alive with the lower East Side NYC location shots and dies in the apartment/housing project sequences. 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17063 on: May 04, 2017, 06:42:02 PM »

Noodles_leone what're your thoughts on Saul and Fargo S3s so far?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17064 on: May 04, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »

Hot Spell (1958) Family meller with Anthony Quinn, Shirley Booth, Shirley Maclane, Earl Holliman, Warren Stevens, and Clint Kimbrough 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17065 on: May 05, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »

The Killer Inside Me - 2/5

I enjoyed it when I first saw it in theaters. Then i got around to reading Thompson's novel and it's one of my favorites. Tragically, I re-watched the film and saw that I didn't care for it like when I first saw it.

cigar joe
The 2010 version with Affleck or the 1976 version with Stacey Keach?

Kurug3n
The 2010. Haven't had a chance to see the other one.

I just rewatched the 1976 version it's a 9/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17066 on: May 05, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »

I just rewatched the 1976 version it's a 9/10
Just because it's filmed in Butte?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17067 on: May 05, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »

You know that CJ is all about locations  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17068 on: May 06, 2017, 04:16:05 AM »

Not just that it was shot in Butte (which is quite cool BTW) but it's actually very well done to boot, the way Burt Kennedy films Stacey Keach is very clever. At first the way Keach is lit is quite flattering, he looks all American handsome, then as things start to spiral out of control he's lit in a more sinister way that highlights his cleft lip (probably why he wears a mustache) and makes him look somewhat grotesque, just through lighting. The film also has a leitmotif for Ford's flashbacks that trigger/accompany his spiraling schizophrenia.

The problem I have with the 2010 version (though I do like the correct time frame of the 50s) is the unbelieveable beating that Affleck gives to Jessica Alba, she's like one of those punching dummies with the weight on the bottom that keep staying up it gets too cartoonish. In the 76 version the violence is more real, Keach gives Susan Tyrrell one brutal punch that breaks her neck and it's over.

Besides there's quite the supporting cast for the 76 version, Keenan Wynn, Don Stroud, Charles McGraw, John Dehner, John Carradine, and Royal Dano.

If you've never seen it I recommend it highly.  Afro Afro Afro

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:28:45 AM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17069 on: May 06, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »

Not just that it was shot in Butte (which is quite cool BTW) but it's actually very well done to boot, the way Burt Kennedy films Stacey Keach is very clever. At first the way Keach is lit is quite flattering, he looks all American handsome, then as things start to spiral out of control he's lit in a more sinister way that highlights his cleft lip (probably why he wears a mustache) and makes him look somewhat grotesque, just through lighting. The film also has a leitmotif for Ford's flashbacks that trigger/accompany his spiraling schizophrenia.
There's a problem with the film, though: it has both Keach's v.o. AND weird visions of his dead father and whatnot. Why does the v.o. never comment on the weird visions? In Murder My Sweet, for instance, when Marlowe gets all hopped up on juice he keeps talking even while we see all the strange stuff going on. Sometimes Marlowe talks about the strange stuff he/we see (e.g. the spider webs made by thousands of tiny spiders working together). But in The Killer Inside Me we either get the v.o. OR the weird visions, never the two together. It's like there were two different films made and then spliced together.

2010 has its problems, too. I don't think the definitive adaptation has yet been made.

Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM