Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:00:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834643 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17130 on: May 28, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »

I'm a bit behind because of my travels and work stuff. I should be only an episode behind in both shows on Thursday, and probably right on track somewhere during the weekend.

I'm waiting before launching Twin Peaks, especially since it's nowhere to be found in France if you don't have a particular TV station (Canal+).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17131 on: May 28, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »

Twin Peaks: The Revival - Huh/10
First 4 episodes. Even beyond Twin Peaks standards, one of gen most insane narratives I've seen in TV or otherwise.

2 episodes so far. It is amazing, the old magic is there.

But how can Lynch do this without Bob, and without the dancing dwarf, the man from another place?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17132 on: May 29, 2017, 06:08:26 AM »

Noodles, how yah doin with Saul and fargo?

Twin Peaks: The Revival - Huh/10
First 4 episodes. Even beyond Twin Peaks standards, one of gen most insane narratives I've seen in TV or otherwise.

Don't have Showtime will wait for DVD.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17133 on: May 30, 2017, 06:25:54 AM »

Fargo season 3:
Ok, back on track. Season 2 was the best TV equivalent to a page turner, but season 3, although much slower, is my favorite so far. It really takes the Coen's existentialist questions as well as their taste for the absurd to another level. We're sometimes deep down in Blade Runner territory. It's also one of the only shows where it is virtually impossible to predict where things are going.
 (In a single scene or in the season).

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:27:44 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17134 on: May 31, 2017, 06:15:02 AM »

A Marcello Mastroianni retro at Lincoln Center yields the following:

Lo straniero / The Stranger (1967) - 5/10. Visconti's very lazy take on Camus. It's a difficult novel to put over cinematically, and Visconti does no one any favors by taking an overly literal approach. On the other hand, maybe he wasn't literal enough; Meursault's voice is what makes the novel effective, and although there is some v.o. in this, there are large stretches where we don't hear what Meursault is thinking. The trial sequence is interminable, especially as Visconti seems to be trying to satirize French Algerian jurisprudence. And I'm not sure Mastroianni was good casting: instead of diffidence he gives us perpetual nonchalance. Oh well, it was nice to get a chance to see this rare film projected in 35mm (the print looked really good, too). The New York Film Fossils were out in force--there wasn't an empty seat in the Walter Reade for this.

Three Lives and Only One Death (1996) - 8/10. This was very entertaining, a film by Raul Ruiz. Three stories are told--all with MM--the first being a kind of Lynchian updating on Hawthorne's "Wakefield." The second story is about a professor of "negative anthropology" who chucks it all one day to become a panhandler--we're into Paul Auster territory on this one. In the final tale, we are introduced to new characters, and gradually the characters from the first two stories find their way in as well and we suddenly understand that the three stories are in fact one. It goes on a little long and gets very silly at the end, but until then it cooks.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:54:40 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17135 on: May 31, 2017, 07:17:14 AM »

Les tontons flingueurs, Monsieur Gangster (1963) Entertaining 8/10 Ex-gangster turned legit dozer dealer Fernand (Lino Ventura) receives a call from a dying friend, a mob boss nicknamed "The Mexican" who has come back to Paris to die. "The Mexican" talks Fernand into taking over his rackets and being the "uncle" to his daughter. "The Mexican's" longtime mobster partners the Volfoni brothers have other ideas. They come after Fernand who reverts to his old ways.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17136 on: June 01, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »

Paranoia (1969) (Orgasmo) Italian giallo starring Carroll Baker (Baby Doll, Something Wild, How the West Was Won)  who plays a wealthy widow who is seduced and terrorised at her palatial villa by a young couple, Lou Castel (Quién sabe? - A Bullet For The General) and Colette Descombes who try to drive her out crazy in order to get their hands on her money.  About a 7/10 it's also one of the first films to receive and X rating, though it's mostly T&A. You also get to see quite a bit of Carroll's assets.

On Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_hE2ogNegA

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17137 on: June 01, 2017, 10:43:50 PM »

Paranoia (1969) (Orgasmo) Italian giallo starring Carroll Baker (Baby Doll, Something Wild, How the West Was Won)  who plays a wealthy widow who is seduced and terrorised at her palatial villa by a young couple, Lou Castel (Quién sabe? - A Bullet For The General) and Colette Descombes who try to drive her out crazy in order to get their hands on her money.  About a 7/10 it's also one of the first films to receive and X rating, though it's mostly T&A. You also get to see quite a bit of Carroll's assets.

On Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_hE2ogNegA

Nudity is allowed on YouTube?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17138 on: June 02, 2017, 03:26:32 AM »

Watch it while you can.  Shocked

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17139 on: June 02, 2017, 05:41:53 AM »

Les tontons flingueurs, Monsieur Gangster (1963) Entertaining 8/10 Ex-gangster turned legit dozer dealer Fernand (Lino Ventura) receives a call from a dying friend, a mob boss nicknamed "The Mexican" who has come back to Paris to die. "The Mexican" talks Fernand into taking over his rackets and being the "uncle" to his daughter. "The Mexican's" longtime mobster partners the Volfoni brothers have other ideas. They come after Fernand who reverts to his old ways.
Everything is done tongue-in-cheek. You are giving Drink the false impression that he might enjoy this.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17140 on: June 02, 2017, 05:54:32 AM »

Yep.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17141 on: June 02, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »

Spotlight On a Murderer / Pleins feux sur l'assassin (1961) - 6/10. Immaculately shot b&w film in a gothic setting, the rather pedestrian plot has Boileau-Narcejac cribbing from Christie's And Then There Were None. I watched this mainly to see Marianne Koch, and she was certainly in the picture.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17142 on: June 02, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »

Wonder Woman (2017) - 9/10. IMAX 3-D. DC makes a real movie, WWI gets steam-punked, and Zack Snyder makes his creative presence felt. Gal Gadot (Miss Israel 2004) is a real honey. I almost feel I could convert for her. The 3-D is worthless with this caveat: the title sequence, which comes at the end, resembles a Bond title sequence. It's unlikely we'll ever see a 3-D Bond, so if you're at all curious about what a Bond title sequence would look like in 3-D . . . Otherwise, see it flat.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17143 on: June 03, 2017, 07:54:26 AM »

Wonder Woman (2017) - 9/10. IMAX 3-D. DC makes a real movie, WWI gets steam-punked, and Zack Snyder makes his creative presence felt. Gal Gadot (Miss Israel 2004) is a real honey. I almost feel I could convert for her. The 3-D is worthless with this caveat: the title sequence, which comes at the end, resembles a Bond title sequence. It's unlikely we'll ever see a 3-D Bond, so if you're at all curious about what a Bond title sequence would look like in 3-D . . . Otherwise, see it flat.

What would be your advice: IMAX 3D or regular flat? Flat IMAX virutally doesn't exist in Paris.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17144 on: June 03, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »

How is that a 9. Looks awful

Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM