Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 12:50:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830555 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17160 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »

These boards have gone from zero women to three in the past month. SLWB is a bastion of equality.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17161 on: June 14, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »

I wish I remembered... I vaguely recall a thread but it's been like 5 years since I was here.

Also: about to watch the Miike remake of Harakiri. Wish me luck. I hope it's not bad.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17162 on: June 14, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »

Never Say Never Again. Sean Connery came back as Bond. I re-watched it after many years. Absolutely god-awful. If I thought Octopussy was bad, this one beats it. And I'm a Bond and Connery fan. Klaus Maria Brandauer, a very good actor in his native language, is as scary as a fuzzy bunny. Kim Basinger, though beautiful, barely registers. Barbara Carrera, always sexy, is ridiculously over-the-top but not in a good way. Connery comes off as a wimp. Indeed never again.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:05:08 AM by Jessica Rabbit » Logged

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17163 on: June 14, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »

Never Say Never Again. Sean Connery came back as Bond. I re-watched it after many years. Absolutely god-awful. If I thought Octopussy was bad, this one beats it. And I'm a Bond and Connery fan. Klaus Maria Brander, a very good actor in his native language, is as scary as a fuzzy bunny. Kim Basinger, though beautiful, barely registers. Barbara Carrera, always sexy, is ridiculously over-the-top but not in a good way. Connery comes off as a wimp. Indeed never again.

Agreed... Easily one of the worst Bond movies.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17164 on: June 14, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »

So I watched the Miike version of Harakiri, and HOLY FUCK. This is easily a 10/10.  It's definitely worthy of the original (which is on my list of best movies ever). I expected maybe a 8, but this movie is pure beauty (and probably even bleaker than the old one). The actors are also excellent.

The main difference is that it's longer and the middle (the story of Tsugomo's family) is more detailed. The three duels are, however, not separate and shorter than the original, but the final battle is absolutely spectacular. Even more so because Tsugomo brought his son-in-law's bamboo katana (only the shortsword was broken). And he KICKS. ARSE.

Damn, this movie is great.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17165 on: June 14, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »

These boards have gone from zero women to three in the past month.
Jessica, Jill, and . . . Oh, I get it. When did you transgender? Was it painful? Is there a kind of maintenance regime you have to follow? Let me know any details you feel comfortable providing and I'll include you as a character in my next novel.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17166 on: June 14, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »

I believe one of the other newbies from IMDB is a woman.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17167 on: June 15, 2017, 05:02:51 AM »

I believe one of the other newbies from IMDB is a woman.

Yea, kjrwe and maybe greenbudgie

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17168 on: June 15, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »

FOUR? Shocked My cup runneth over

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17169 on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »

Can you guys deal with that?  Tongue Wink

Jessica Rabbit
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17170 on: June 15, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »

Split - 6/10
Noodles is right there's nothing to really see here, but I had fun watching it

Master of None S2 - 8/10
Nothing that hasn't been done before, but it's very good

Fargo S3 E1-9 - 9/10
This show is so fucking good. Just one episode left. If season 2 was the page turner that's Breaking Bad then S3 is the depthful drama that's Better Call Saul. I'm not sure which season I like more

Better Call Saul S3 E1-9 - 8.5/10
Overall exccellent and one ballsy slow-burn of a show. The latest episode was so difficult to watch in a great way. One left.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17171 on: June 16, 2017, 03:08:33 AM »

Rise Of The Footsoldier Part II (2015): The first movie dealt with the life of Carlton Leach leading up to the Rettendon Murders (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rettendon_murders), this one with his life afterwards. Leading actor Ricci Harnett is just as intense as in the first movie, but his screenplay is light on story and moves from one beatdown to the next. This is also his first movie as a director, and he does a pretty good job, I have to say. Anyways, watchable but falls short of the 1st one in every way (and that one is also far from a masterpiece). 6/10

Watched this on the steelbook blu-ray. Which in itself has a weird story attached to it. The steelbook was announced online for pre-order and then soon after got cancelled. Some sources claim the shipment of steelbooks to the distributor was stolen, and ended up in the Netherlands (see for instance https://www.avforums.com/threads/rise-of-the-footsoldier-part-ii-blu-ray-steelbook.1980011/). I haven't a clue if that's the case, but it's a funny story. I did get mine from a Dutch retailer, heh...

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Spikeopath
« Reply #17172 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »

The Shallows (2016) 7/10  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4052882/reference

Girl stranded on a rock in the sea as shark circles and hunts her.

Actually far better than it sounds, and far better than a lot of other shark/gator/croc peril movies. A resourceful spunky girl and a vindictive shark made for a pleasant surprise. Super photography and camera work as well.

Copper Canyon (1950)  - http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=13036.0

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17173 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:09 AM »

Rewatched The Wild Bunch last night to start my rewatch marathon of old favourites - damn, this movie is still so good. Very 10/10.

I still tear up at the end.

I liked the bounty hunters a lot more this time, though. After having played countless video game where I loot everything that isn't nailed down (no matter how Paragon I am), I can relate.

It would be fun to have a D&D style parody of this movie where Peckinpah is a DM who famously likes to kill the whole party.

"Angel, roll to bluff"
"Nat 1"
"Mapache suddenly knows you are the thief and has you captured"
"FML"

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17174 on: June 16, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »

The Ipcress File (1965) and Funeral in Berlin (1966). Michael Caine as Harry Palmer, a spy with a dry sarcastic sense of humor. Love it. The second one is actually better than the first.

Jessica Rabbit
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM