Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:45:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763468 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17190 on: June 24, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »

8 Million Ways to Die (1986) - 6/10. Hal Ashby does a genre picture (I refuse to use the N-word). The plot is a by-the-numbers event: a disgraced alcoholic ex-cop (Jeff Bridges) investigates the murder of a hooker who was tied up with a drug lord (Andy Garcia). What makes the film frequently fascinating are the Ashby touches throughout. A good deal of improvisation went into many of the scenes. An obvious case-in-point is the "Snow Cone Scene" where Bridges and Garcia try to snow each other (see what I did there?). It's obvious that the actors don't know what they're about to say next--they keep talking over each other's lines--and the result is a conversation that doesn't go where it's supposed to (to advance the plot). Add to this a third character patrolling in the background--he's Garcia's bodyguard and a calming influence who passes through the frame from time to time, then jumps in, spouting Spanish, to restrain Garcia when his boss starts to lose control. The three-way dynamic is fun to watch, and I don't remember seeing another scene like it in films of this kind. Unhappily, control of the film was taken away from Ashby before he could cut it (he usually edited his own pictures), and the film is not as tight as it could have been. Still, as 80s crime films go, this isn't bad. It would make a nice double bill with To Live and Die in LA.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17191 on: June 24, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »

8 Million Ways to Die (1986) - 6/10. Hal Ashby does a genre picture (I refuse to use the N-word). The plot is a by-the-numbers event: a disgraced alcoholic ex-cop (Jeff Bridges) investigates the murder of a hooker who was tied up with a drug lord (Andy Garcia). What makes the film frequently fascinating are the Ashby touches throughout. A good deal of improvisation went into many of the scenes. An obvious case-in-point is the "Snow Cone Scene" where Bridges and Garcia try to snow each other (see what I did there?). It's obvious that the actors don't know what they're about to say next--they keep talking over each other's lines--and the result is a conversation that doesn't go where it's supposed to (to advance the plot). Add to this a third character patrolling in the background--he's Garcia's bodyguard and a calming influence who passes through the frame from time to time, then jumps in, spouting Spanish, to restrain Garcia when his boss starts to lose control. The three-way dynamic is fun to watch, and I don't remember seeing another scene like it in films of this kind. Unhappily, control of the film was taken away from Ashby before he could cut it (he usually edited his own pictures), and the film is not as tight as it could have been. Still, as 80s crime films go, this isn't bad. It would make a nice double bill with To Live and Die in LA.

Agree about a 6/10, could have been a lot better.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17192 on: June 24, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »

Traveling Actors / Taki Yakusha (1940) - 6/10. Two men who pantomime a horse in a traveling kabuki troupe have difficulties when the head of their horse costume gets damaged. Hilarity ensues. A film by Mikio Naruse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBusdq3L-5U

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17193 on: June 24, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »

Chungking Express (1994) The story of two Hong Kong policemen who patronize a late-night restaurant Chungking Express they fall in love: one with a female underworld figure, the other with the restaurant's server. Some nice stylistic cinematography. 8/10

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 06:15:27 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17194 on: June 25, 2017, 07:55:32 AM »

Chungking Express (1994) The story of two Hong Kong policemen who patronize a late-night restaurant Chungking Express they fall in love: one with a female underworld figure, the other with the restaurant's server. Some nice stylistic cinematography. 8/10
Also offers highlights of famous HK landmarks like the Central escalator and the Central post office and the old airport, now moth-balled, Kai-Tak.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17195 on: June 25, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »

Hideko, The Bus Conductress (1941) - 7/10. A young woman (Hideko Takamine) selling tickets on a rural bus comes up with a scheme to make the line more profitable. Hilarity ensues. A film by Mikio Naruse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkPkyG_1-Sk  I learned something new in this: apparently, before wartime rationing, the big summertime treat in Japan was Ramune over shaved ice. Hey, Ramune is still around!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17196 on: June 25, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »

Broken City (2013) Dir. by Allen Hughes starring Mark Wahlberg, Russell Crowe, Catherine Zeta-Jones, noir-ish story of an ex cop who is hired by NYC Mayor to spy on his cheating wife, though it's actually about a more convoluted scenario than that. Some nice cinematography of the city but story has some plot problems. 6/10

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:19:13 AM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17197 on: June 27, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »

Diary of a Country Priest (1950) - 10/10. A sickly young priest begins parish work in rural France. Although his parishioners despise him, he does his best by them even as his health fails. He dies. "All is grace." Bresson's third feature.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17198 on: June 27, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »

White Tiger (2012) - 8/10. Great Russian tank movie that gets very weird at the end. Maybe the filmmakers read too much Moby Dick? Fun battles, though. You will believe that T-34 tank treads can sail through mud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHA40TwcVKc

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17199 on: June 28, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »

Baby Driver (2017) - 10/10. A heist picture--or perhaps I should say "heists picture"--with humor, exciting visuals, a nicely synced soundtrack. All my faves from 70s FM radio are here: "Hocus Pocus," "Radar Love," Queen's "Brighton Rock." Indeed, the set piece featuring "Hocus Pocus" is amazing, with (as one example) bursts of automatic weapons fire matching the syncopation in the song. Good performances from Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx, and even Kevin Spacey's usual bland persona is put to good use. I'm gonna have to watch this one again.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17200 on: June 29, 2017, 12:46:44 AM »

Baby Driver (2017) - 10/10. A heist picture--or perhaps I should say "heists picture"--with humor, exciting visuals, a nicely synced soundtrack. All my faves from 70s FM radio are here: "Hocus Pocus," "Radar Love," Queen's "Brighton Rock." Indeed, the set piece featuring "Hocus Pocus" is amazing, with (as one example) bursts of automatic weapons fire matching the syncopation in the song. Good performances from Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx, and even Kevin Spacey's usual bland persona is put to good use. I'm gonna have to watch this one again.

Told you.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17201 on: June 29, 2017, 12:03:31 PM »

Edgar Wright Presents Heist Society: http://www.bam.org/film/2017/heists?

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17202 on: June 29, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »

I wish I could go and see some of those Heist Society movies. I used to live near BAM.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17203 on: June 29, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »

I've seen a lot of them already. I don't remember Gambit, though; that must be one I've missed.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17204 on: June 30, 2017, 03:20:14 AM »

I would love to see Thief on the big screen.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM