Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 04:56:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1146 1147 [1148] 1149 1150 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1805960 times)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17205 on: June 30, 2017, 11:16:17 AM »

I've seen quite a few too, but I'd also love to see Thief and Gambit on the big screen. Especially Gambit has been on my list a long time.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17206 on: July 01, 2017, 05:46:54 AM »

Man Hunt (1941): Walter Pidgeon gets caught when he catches Hitler in the crosshairs of his rifle. After refusing to sign a false statement that could drag Britain into a war, he's pushed off a cliff but survives. He manages to sneak back to Britain, but Nazi George Sanders is after him. Pidgeon finds help in the streetwise Joan Bennett. Great, tense movie by the master Fritz Lang. Has some things that don't work too well, but overall I was really into this movie. 8+/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17207 on: July 01, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »

I like Man Hunt too. The only problem was Joan Bennett's accent. What were they thinking?

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17208 on: July 01, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »

They weren't.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17209 on: July 02, 2017, 06:01:16 AM »

Bottle Rocket (1995) - 8/10. Wannabe crooks work up to a big heist and then blow it. There's a great pay-off, featuring James Caan, revealing how the boys have been played. Never really LOL-funny, mostly an exercise that induces sniggers.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17210 on: July 02, 2017, 03:39:43 PM »

Ring Of Spies aka Ring Of Treason (1964): Bernard Lee (James Bond's 'M') is a clerk at a secret military base who convinces secretary Margaret Tyzack to 'lend out' some documents to commie William Sylvester to pass on to Russia. Based on real facts, it's more Graham Greene than Ian Fleming. Not bad, but a bit slow and lacks tension. 6/10

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17211 on: July 05, 2017, 09:13:31 AM »

The Teckman Mystery (1954): Author John Justin is asked to write a biography on a pilot who died flying an experimental plane. When a friend of the pilot ends up murdered in Justin's apartment and a non-existing magazine offers him a six-month job elsewhere, a boring biography assignment becomes a dangerous mystery. Nothing amazing, but no dull moments, good performances and a dense, twisty plot add up to an entertaining movie. 7+/10

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17212 on: July 06, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »

Not technically a movie but a filmed stage performance: Julius Caesar at the Globe 2014. I'd say about 8.5/10.

It's performed in Elizabethan costumes with some togas thrown in here and there, and it uses the closeness of the audience and the whole build of the Globe really well. The players mingle with te crowd and it works wonderfully with the funeral speeches.

Antony is very young, and absolutely steals the show. I'd say he's even more intense than Brando, and I loved the old movie. His monologues were on some next level.

Most actors double on several minor roles, but the cleverest thing is (sorry, minor spoiler) Caesar's actor playing Strato at the end. Complete with a Dramatic Reveal that made me go "FUCK THAT'S BRILLIANT" and probably made Brutus go "well I guess I'm fucked".

My only problem is that Cassius is a little underwhelming - he's alright but I'm used to Cassius being overdramatic and passionate, especially in the tent scene.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17213 on: July 06, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »

Baby Driver - 8/10
Huge step up from Scott Pilgrim

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17214 on: July 07, 2017, 03:00:51 AM »

The Flying Scot aka The Mail Bag Robbery (1957): Lee Patterson is the mastermind behind the heist of bags full of to-be-destroyed banknotes from a train. Of course nothing works out quite as smoothly as expected. Good and tense movie, ncluding a Rififi-like heist. Recommended! 7+/10

Another one of my recent pick ups from Network UK's sale. And just in case (but lesser quality): https://free-classic-movies.com/movies-05/05-1957-11-The-Flying-Scot/index.php

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17215 on: July 07, 2017, 11:01:07 AM »

Since I'm on a Bard marathon, I also watched Antony of Cleopatra from the Globe - same year, same Elizabethan style, although this time only for the Roman characters.

9/10

- I never realized just how funny this play is for a tragedy. The audience laughed a lot. Also, there is a lot of innuendo, but it's only to be expected.
- Cleo (Eve Best) is some serious magic. She has all the capriciousness and fire this role needs, and makes that "infinite variety" believeable.
- Antony nailed his performance, but his look is just too English to be Roman. I know the Antony from Julius Caesar would have been way too young, but I can't even see them as the same character.
- Octavian is a stiff, humorless little twat (as he should be). Still moved me when he pulls the Antagonist In Mourning trope.
- Enobarbus is... Cockney? For some reason? He's also pretty much there to deliver sarcasm and obliterate the fourth wall. If this were a movie he'd look directly into the camera whenever Antony does something spectacularly foolish, which is often. And then... his accent thankfully fades a bit as he goes into a downward spiral. I love his character but this whole "dies of no physical reasons" never really works on stage. Ok, it does for Isolde, I guess.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:03:10 AM by Jill » Logged

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17216 on: July 08, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »

More Bard. Macbeth 2015 movie. 5/10.

The good: it looks very beautiful (when you can actually see what the fuck is on screen) and Fassbender is a pretty good Macbeth. Also, the amount of blood is as it should be.

The bad:

- they cut a shit ton of iconic lines, mostly the witches' incantations. Also we don't get the "Macbeth doth murder sleep" line.
- for some reason there is a fourth witch? but she's not Hecate.
- the porter scene is cut (instant -3)
- Macduff's family is burned at the stake? what
- also burned: the wood of Birnam but the wind brings the ashes over to the castle? (cinemasins voice: "Macbeth is a dick to trees")
- overly fake-artictic and pretentious
- Lady M just? randomly dies? no reason shown? like come on it was obviously a suicide
- too much mumbling and whispering
- too many closeups, not enough expressive faces to justify them
- Banquo, Macduff, and Malcolm are all very bland and have no personality whatsoever
- oh yeah and the Banquo ghost scene is incredibly meh. I have seen a Globe version a few months ago and it was really scary.

also

- Fassbender does not metalbend -1 Evil

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17217 on: July 08, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »

Spiderman: Homecoming (2017) - 8/10. A 15-year-old Spiderman is mentored by Tony Stark to become an Avenger. Meanwhile, Michael Keaton is back as Birdman. Liz Allen is now black, and Flash Thompson has become a person of Indian descent. Aunt May has morphed into Marisa Tomei, and all the older males are hitting on her. There's a pretty good twist that's well set up and executed. Also, issue #33 of The Amazing Spiderman is quoted to good effect. Set pieces are located on the Washington Monument, the Staten Island ferry, and Coney Island. The Ramones (who, like Peter Parker, were from Queens) are featured on the soundtrack. There are lots of laughs.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:59:36 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17218 on: July 09, 2017, 02:45:12 AM »

How's Uncle Ben's death scene this time?

And don't tell me it's a reboot without Uncle Ben's death scene, the most amazing thing in the Marvelverse.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17219 on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:40 AM »

How's Uncle Ben's death scene this time?

And don't tell me it's a reboot without Uncle Ben's death scene, the most amazing thing in the Marvelverse.
It's a reboot without Uncle Ben's death scene. Oops, I wasn't supposed to tell you that!

This doesn't have an origin story. The new Spidey was introduced in Captain America: Civil War (which I didn't see) and this film continues the web-slinger's story from there. There's actually a video diary of the events of the earlier film ("A Film By Peter Parker") that opens Spiderman: Homecoming which is pretty funny. Uncle Ben is (I guess) already dead, unless maybe he ran off with Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy. Hey, Betty Brant is intro'd in this film. Maybe she's being positioned to become a future love interest?

SPOILER The love interest in this is one is Liz Allen, a character they had to go back to early Ditko for. It doesn't work out. Meanwhile there's a character (played by Zendaya) called Michelle who indicates at the end of the film she wants to be referred to a "MJ." It's obviously she'd got this thing for Peter Parker. So if Liz is the love interest that doesn't work out in Spidey Reboot #2, Part 1, and Betty Brant is the likely love interest for Part 2, "MJ" is the girl he'll probably end up with in Part 3. We'll get the whole "You were right there in front of me the whole time, but I just couldn't see you" speech from Peter (you heard it here first). Man, Parker sure had a lot of girlfriends--who does he think he is, D&D?END SPOILER

Pages: 1 ... 1146 1147 [1148] 1149 1150 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM