Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:05:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 [1149] 1150 1151 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769928 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17220 on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:40 AM »

How's Uncle Ben's death scene this time?

And don't tell me it's a reboot without Uncle Ben's death scene, the most amazing thing in the Marvelverse.
It's a reboot without Uncle Ben's death scene. Oops, I wasn't supposed to tell you that!

This doesn't have an origin story. The new Spidey was introduced in Captain America: Civil War (which I didn't see) and this film continues the web-slinger's story from there. There's actually a video diary of the events of the earlier film ("A Film By Peter Parker") that opens Spiderman: Homecoming which is pretty funny. Uncle Ben is (I guess) already dead, unless maybe he ran off with Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy. Hey, Betty Brant is intro'd in this film. Maybe she's being positioned to become a future love interest?

SPOILER The love interest in this is one is Liz Allen, a character they had to go back to early Ditko for. It doesn't work out. Meanwhile there's a character (played by Zendaya) called Michelle who indicates at the end of the film she wants to be referred to a "MJ." It's obviously she'd got this thing for Peter Parker. So if Liz is the love interest that doesn't work out in Spidey Reboot #2, Part 1, and Betty Brant is the likely love interest for Part 2, "MJ" is the girl he'll probably end up with in Part 3. We'll get the whole "You were right there in front of me the whole time, but I just couldn't see you" speech from Peter (you heard it here first). Man, Parker sure had a lot of girlfriends--who does he think he is, D&D?END SPOILER

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17221 on: July 09, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »

It's a reboot without Uncle Ben's death scene. Oops, I wasn't supposed to tell you that!

Yeah, you ruined it for me. Now I won't watch it, until I watch it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17222 on: July 09, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »

Unless you swear off commercial air travel for the next 5 years I don't know how you'll be able to avoid it.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17223 on: July 11, 2017, 12:38:14 AM »

Since there is no such thing as enough Julius Caesar (I've been obsessed with this play since I was twelve), I watched two more: 2012 RSC (which was a TV movie but apparently based on their stage porduction) and 2017 RSC. The two couldn't be more different: the 2012 version has an all-black cast and set in a modern African Republic, while the 2017 version is all traditional with togas and gallons of stage blood.

Both are pretty damn excellent.

2012 version's strength lies in the casual, relaxed approach - no pathos, no posturing, the characters just feel like people. This is paired with beautiful delivery, however. There are moments of fun (Cicero's cute umbrella deserves a mention) and some rather grim scenes (the mob vs. Cinna the poet, partically filmed on someone's phone, feels very real). They don't attempt to show actual battle scenes and the scenes between fighting take place in darker and darker spaces, eventually bringing us to a dimly-lit staircase that may as well lead into Hades. The ending gets surprisingly emotional from some small touches - Brutus keeps a flower from the wreath he sent for Cassius, and Strato is replaced by boyservant Lucius - the kid, more like a young man in this cast, gets an actual character arc. The ensemble is strong overall. Definitely worth watching. 8/10

2017 version, first of all, looks beautiful. The sets are elegant (but not cluttered), and the scenes make painting-like tableaus, especially the assassination. I forgive the inaccuracy that puts every senator in a toga praetexta because it looks to damn great to resist. But a traditional setting doesn't mean dated - the characters are very much alive, very flawed, modern people. Cassius in particular stands out to me. I never realized before but he clearly comes off as bipolar, and just thinking about how many times he wants to die even early in the play just drives it home. And the conspirators all have their demons. Antony, on the other hand, is on the rise (or so he thinks, not quite noticing how dangerous that little twat Octavius will be). The battle is done relatively well (stage actors will never learn what to do with shields, though) and poor kid Lucius (here a child who was clearly hired for his beautiful singing voice) meets an unexpected end that had the audience gasp in horror. Also, the Brutus/Cassius ship tease is strong with this one. 8/10

So, yeah - if you want some Bard with a lot of stabbing and intrigue, both these productions are a lot of fun ("fun" meaning "everybody falls on their swords and everything is terrible").

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:41:44 AM by Jill » Logged

"Does this unit have a soul?"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17224 on: July 16, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »

GLORY (1989) 7/10
And this story was just in the news
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sword-belonging-commander-black-civil-war-unit-found-155311137.html

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17225 on: July 18, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »

Remember My Name (1978) 5/10. This early Alan Rudolph film (what's the difference between an early Rudolph and an early Altman?), which I'd never seen before, played on Turner yesterday. It had a non-psycho Anthony Perkins and a kinda psycho Geraldine Chapman. It wasn't very good, but I was glad for the chance to watch it.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17226 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:29 AM »

Gambit (1966). Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine. Great fun. There was actually a time when MacLaine was fun to watch and not outright annoying. Caine can do no wrong.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17227 on: July 19, 2017, 02:58:19 AM »

1) Tiger Shark (1932) 6/10

Crappy movie, directed by Howard Hawks. Edward G. Robinson plays a fishing-boat skipper with a Greek accent. He's like a cartoonish character, who ends up marrying a young girl; but then Robinson's best friend and his wife fall in love with each other. Blah blah blah. Crappy early sound film, obviously shot on soundstages and in tanks. There is a decent fishing scene.

2) Nazi Agent (1942) 7/10

An identical-twin movie. Though the movie was released in 1942, it obviously must have been filmed before America joined World War II.

A German consul in an unidentified American city is acting a Nazi agent, getting secret information about Canada to relay to Berlin. The consul has an identical-twin brother who has long been living in America, working as a shopkeeper, a proud American and an anti-Nazi; the two haven't spoken for years. The consul at first is able to blackmail the shopkeeper to force him into assisting him as a Nazi agent; eventually, when the shopkeeper tries to alert the authorities, the consul comes to kill him ... but the shopkeeper overpowers and kills the consul. The shopkeeper then takes on the identity of the consul, to find out all he can about the Nazi operations.

Both the consul and the shopkeeper are played by Conrad Veidt. The consul looks like Veidt; the shopkeeper, with a beard, does not. I didn't realize that both characters were played by Veidt until the shopkeeper has to take on the consul's appearance; the shopkeeper shaves his beard and makes himself look like the consul, and only then did I realize that the shopkeeper was also played by Veidt!

Halfway decent movie, crappy ending.

3) Blackwell's Island (1939) 7/10

A gangster movie that is pretty silly everything is done too comedically but manages to be decent entertainment.

Blackwell's Island is a narrow strip in the East River between Manhattan and Queens, which had a prison; today the prison is gone and it is called Roosevelt Island. In the movie, the prison authorities are corrupt, a big gangster is basically ruling the place as if he is living in a country club; John Garfield plays a crusading reporter who gets himself sent to the prison so that he can unmask the corruption.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17228 on: July 21, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »

Gambit (1966). Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine. Great fun. There was actually a time when MacLaine was fun to watch and not outright annoying. Caine can do no wrong.

Couldn't help but picture Michael Caine as Gambit from X-Men and just about died.

Also, to not double-post:

I watched the Donmar Warehouse version of Coriolanus. It's really intense and surprisingly relevant. Tom Hiddleston is excellent (as he has already proven as Prince Hal/Henry V) and Mark Gatiss is a delight. A minimalist but very bloody production, and it works really well. This play needs more love and Coriolanus/Aufidius more fanfic. I mean, Aufidius canonically has sexy dreams about him. Will was on a roll.  Evil 9/10

"Does this unit have a soul?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17229 on: July 22, 2017, 06:37:14 AM »

Chicago Syndicate (1955) Director: Fred F. Sears, Stars: Dennis O'Keefe, Abbe Lane, Paul Stewart, nice final chase in the Chicago Subway, the second film I've seen that used it the first being Union Station (1950)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:53:45 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17230 on: July 22, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »

This play needs more love and Coriolanus/Aufidius more fanfic.
T.S. Eliot was a booster for this.

Years ago, during my Japanese sojourn, Ralph Fiennes came to town and did a double bill of Coriolanus and Richard II. I saw the two performances on a single day in very cramped seats. Since then, these have been my favorite Shakespeares.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17231 on: July 23, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »

The Miami Story (1954) crime-czar Tomy Brill (Luther Adler), battles a reformed gangster Mick Flagg (Barry Sullivan) employed by a citizen's committee to break the rackets. Adele Jergens and Beverly Garland play sisters on opposite sides. 6.5/10

It's on youtube.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:55:19 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17232 on: July 25, 2017, 01:37:14 AM »

Little Red Monkey aka Case of the Red Monkey (1955): Cold war thriller starring Richard Conte as a US official tasked with picking up a defecting Russian nuclear scientist in London, while a group of Russian spies/assassins are killing scientists left and right. Nothing great but competently made, and Conte is always worth watching. 6/10

Watched this on the Network UK DVD, which has great picture quality.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17233 on: July 26, 2017, 02:02:21 AM »

Beat Girl aka Wild For Kicks (1960): Gillian Hills (before she became a pop singer in France) is a teenage girl rebelling against her father (David Farrar) and his new French wife (Nolle Adam) in beatnik London. But when she finds out a secret about her stepmother, it leads her to a stripclub owned by uber-slimy Christopher Lee... Odd mix between serious elements, bit of a thriller, and straight up exploitation. Most of the acting is campy if not atrocious, with over-the-top hip lingo used by the teenagers (or maybe they were really like this, no clue). But... I loved every minute of it, it somehow draws you in. With a score by future Bond-legend John Barry (first UK soundtrack released on LP as well). 7/10

Saw this on the BFI blu-ray, which has 3 versions. I think CJ would absolutely love this one.
The version I watched includes this striptease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sovCLK6Z3yg  Cheesy

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17234 on: July 26, 2017, 09:05:42 AM »

Well, Xh, well...interesting educational material.  Wink

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 [1149] 1150 1151 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM