Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:36:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1150 1151 [1152] 1153 1154 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762862 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17265 on: August 04, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »

It's actually a red dress, and ditto for the peekaboo one she wears in The Big Heat, you get clued in from the posters.  Afro

I honestly thought it was black, hahaha... In my mind they're just black, it's sexy as hell Cheesy

Surely the color on the posters is not necessarily related to the actual color and just the choice of the artist?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17266 on: August 04, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »

I honestly thought it was black, hahaha... In my mind they're just black, it's sexy as hell Cheesy

But The Big Heat is up for grabs tho (and yes, I'm googling Grahame posters at the office right now, hah)...
Dress #1:
Red: http://www.impawards.com/1953/posters/big_heat.jpg
Blue: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTk5OTMwODQ0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM2NDU0MjE@._V1_.jpg

Dress #2:
Yellow: http://1125996089.rsc.cdn77.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Big_Heat_1953_poster.jpg
White: http://www.impawards.com/1953/posters/big_heat_ver5.jpg
Pink (and dress #1 is blue again): https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTk5OTMwODQ0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM2NDU0MjE@._V1_.jpg
Green (granted, this one is a recent blu-ray cover): http://www.infernalcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Heat.jpg

I always though that first "dress" was more like a lounging around the apt robe, Interesting about the various colors for the iconic dress though thanks for the links.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17267 on: August 04, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »

Surely the color on the posters is not necessarily related to the actual color and just the choice of the artist?

I am sure that the colors on posters are not the colors of the real clothing. Same is even true for color movies. For example, at least one FAFDM poster shows Mortimer wearing a red (!!!) vest, and a GBU poster shows Blondie wearing a red poncho. Of course Mortimer's vest was black and Blondie's cape was green/brown. If an artist who makes the posters for color films doesn't follow the real colors of the clothing, how much more so this must be true for black and white films.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17268 on: August 06, 2017, 07:24:27 AM »

Subway (1985) - 6.5/10
I have now seen all of Luc Besson's pre-Arthur and the Invisibles filmography. While painfully dated - especially the action sequences - the film manages to be exciting, original and has charm. I probably won't watch it again before a few years but I'll be happy when it happens.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17269 on: August 06, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »

Silent Dust (1949): Stephen Murray is building a memorial for his son Nigel Patrick who died a hero in WWII, 3 years earlier. But the son's not dead, he's an army deserter who's been scheming and thieving, even killing, his way back to his dad, looking for money. Good Britnoir based on a play (95% takes place inside a mansion) with some great cinematography. 7/10

Watched this on the Network UK DVD. Decent picture quality, but there's more damage in the image than their usual scans/restorations.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17270 on: August 06, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »

Xh, I stumbled on Silent Dust a few month ago on youtube. A very old-fashioned picture, but very moving. I liked it. Picture quality was not really good.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17271 on: August 07, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »

Funeral in Berlin (60s) - 7/10. Not as good as I remembered, but better than many in the spy genre.  I just re-read The Ipcress File and enjoyed it so much I wanted more Len Deighton but didn't want to watch the film of the book (which essentially betrays the source to a great degree--although I still enjoy it). So I settled for the follow-up film adaptation which, IIRC, follows its original better. Nobody does sarcasm better than Deighton, and in the books you get a stinger a page--a ratio not observed in the adaptations.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17272 on: August 09, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »

Coriolanus (2011) - 8/10

Overall a very good adaptation. Compared to the Donmar Warehouse version I have seen earlier: I liked this ending better. The setting update is well thought out and works. Ralph Fiennes looks distractingly like Voldemort and has the same soulless glare. This Coriolanus really doesn't have sympathetic qualities - he's a cold, heartless jerk. Vanessa Redgrave effortlessly steals the show whenever she's on screen (where is her Oscar). Gerard Butler is as Aufidius should be - hella gay for Coriolanus, even though some of his lines were cut. (The Donmar version didn't fuck around, Hadley Fraser even kissed Tom Hiddleston.) Brian Cox as Menenius is less of a sassmaster than Mark Gatiss and more a warm, fatherly type, which makes his (unscripted) tragic end even more heartbreaking.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17273 on: August 09, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »

Funeral in Berlin (60s) -

Dave, I haven't read Deighton's books, but I love Funeral in Berlin, more than The Ipcress File. Maybe I just have a thing for Cold War Berlin.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17274 on: August 09, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »

The plot for FiB is better than TIF, but the Harry Palmer charm comes through better in the first one. Even so, the book is better.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17275 on: August 10, 2017, 05:40:08 AM »

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 5.5/10
Definitely a miss, but an exiting one. Creative and original, despite having a plot so uninspiring that it seems it was written by some Marvel guy. Another flaw, particularly during the first 40 minutes, is that they thought a $200 millions budget was enough to do anything they wanted CGI-wise. Obviously, it wasn't.

Flight 7/10
Surprisingly good! Unfortunately, I have very little interest in people who are just trying to fight an addiction.

Jane Got A Gun 6/10
Nice little western movie. Nobody will ever remember it in 5 years but it's nice they still do those from time to time.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:42:44 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17276 on: August 11, 2017, 04:57:34 AM »

Looper 7/10
Still fun and creative. I enjoyed the second half way more than I did the first time around. The movie's excellent direction (Rian Johnson, best known for his work on Breaking Bad and the upcoming Star Wars movie, is one of the most interesting working directors) is plagued by the lack of budget and the cheap looking cinematography.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #17277 on: August 12, 2017, 07:36:22 AM »

Dunkirk
This needed more background information, showing the 800 boats that participated rather than maybe 20, explanations why the Germans (the "enemy") stalled trying to use the Wehrmacht and wanted to use the Luftwaffe, and using real Churchill's voice for the address to the people (recordings of those do exist, I even have a copy).

Walking with the Enemy
Independent film about Hungarians in 1944 surviving, also based on true story, liked it.

The Glass Castle
Mrs. Cusser wanted to see it, about people succeeding despite a very dysfunctional family, also based on true story.  Woody Harrelson may get an Oscar nomination, deserving.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17278 on: August 12, 2017, 08:36:41 AM »

Dunkirk
This needed more background information, showing the 800 boats that participated rather than maybe 20, explanations why the Germans (the "enemy") stalled trying to use the Wehrmacht and wanted to use the Luftwaffe, and using real Churchill's voice for the address to the people (recordings of those do exist, I even have a copy).

Not that really want to stand for this movie, but Nolan wasn't going for what you expected. The whole point is to experience the battle of Dunkirk through the 3 anonymous we follow. It isn't supposed to explain anything or to show the whole thing.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17279 on: August 13, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

Misery 7/10
Nice! Still, I cannot help but wonder what a filmmaker more at ease with thrillers would have done with this one.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo 8.5/10
I don't know how many times I've seen it, it keeps getting better.
Special note for Novecento: the digital cinematography looks terrific and conveys that story much better than film stock would Wink

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 1150 1151 [1152] 1153 1154 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM