Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:54:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1155 1156 [1157] 1158 1159 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840375 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17340 on: September 18, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »

Mother! (Darren Aronofsky, 2017) 7/10

It looks like a mashup of previous films by Aronofsky, most notably Black Swan, Noah and The Fountain. It's also the most Lynchean film of Darren. Mother! starts like the modern take on Rosemary's Baby that the trailer wants you to believe it is, but the audience quickly learns to not take anything at face value as the film becomes increasingly metaphorical rather than rational, before descending into total madness for the last 30 minutes. The whole thing is filled with very dark humor, and you go from laughs to screams seamlessly.
There isn't much I can tell without spoiling things, so just be aware you're gonna see a lot of scenes directly adapted from the Bible. It's not for everyone, it has many great moments as well as (some) cheesy ones. I much preferred the first half over the second one (Aronofsky seems more at ease filming intimity and tortured loners than more agitated settings) but that may change on a second watch.

Last but not least, I cannot believe RR hasn't been advertising the film for months on here.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/paramount-defends-mother-against-bad-140251305.html

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17341 on: September 18, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »

The Sun Sets At Dawn (1950): A young man on death row, a young girl sobbing over him, a group of reporters waiting to be driven to the execution (incl Percy Helton and Charles Arnt, prob the 'biggest' names in an otherwise mostly no-name cast). A very talky and very low-budget noir, not really a hidden gem, but oddly compelling and intriguing. 7/10

Can be seen on the tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUKpEznW21Q

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #17342 on: September 19, 2017, 12:42:06 AM »

Elokuu (1956) - 9/10
One of the best Finnish films. An ensemble piece set during one summer day/night and revolving around a failed author working as a bridge watchman, his wife, mistress, children and maids. Based on the Nobel laureate F.E. Sillanpää's novel of the same name which usually isn't considered a major work.

Homo sapiens (2016) - 9/10
90 minutes of wide shots of abandoned places (mostly East Asia, Russia and East Europe).

Ossessione (1943) - 8/10
Visconti's debut. Operatic movement in the guise of neorealism.

La terra trema (1948) - 8/10
What seemed like documentary realism in 1948, appears significantly less so today.

In the Realm of Senses (Ai no korîda, 1976) - 8/10

Stromboli (1950) - 7/10
106 min version. I have a huge problem with Rossellini's miracle endings, so that's a big issue here. The other issue is the score: it's very good music but it's horrendously overused. Those things set aside, it would be a very modern and good film.

The Human Surge (El auge del humano, 2016) 6.5/10
Very strange, interesting and ultimately too long avant garde film.

Un flic (1972) - 7/10

Hard Candy (2005) - 4/10

Description of a Struggle (Description d'un combat, 1960) - 9/10
Chris Marker is an entertaining fella.

A Ciambra (2017) - 8/10
"Modern neorealism", meaning pretty much what the Dardennes have been doing the last twenty years. But with some dream elements that work surprisingly well. A bit overlong.

Raw (2016) - 6/10
French cannibal film turns out to be more funny than scary.

Closeness (Tesnota, 2017) - 7.5/10
1998 in Russia. The brother of a Jewish teenage girl is kidnapped and the family is struggling to pay the ransom. I think I didn't fully understand the historical/political context but it didn't seem so important. What does seem important is that there's a real video playing in middle of the film showing real executions and torture performed by Chechen guerrillas – a shocking trick which ultimately tells more about the director's narcissism than anything else. Otherwise it's without a doubt a very promising first film.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17343 on: September 19, 2017, 03:03:08 AM »

I have to say I really don't understand the whole polemic. After decades of Polanski, Lynch, Kieslowski and even Aronofski himself, haven't we had openly metaphorical movies advertised as mainstream thrillers almost every year since the 60's?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17344 on: September 19, 2017, 03:04:05 AM »

Raw (2016) - 6/10
French cannibal film turns out to be more funny than scary.

I'd say more smart (apart from the ridiculous ending scene) than scary.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17345 on: September 19, 2017, 05:30:42 AM »

Elokuu (1956) - 9/10
One of the best Finnish films. An ensemble piece set during one summer day/night and revolving around a failed author working as a bridge watchman, his wife, mistress, children and maids. Based on the Nobel laureate F.E. Sillanpää's novel of the same name which usually isn't considered a major work.
This one sounds interesting. I'm guessing location work as opposed to sets?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17346 on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »

Vivre sa vie (1962) interesting but could have been much better 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17347 on: September 19, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »

Vivre sa vie (1962) interesting but could have been much better 6/10
You mean if they'd made it a noir?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17348 on: September 19, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »

You mean if they'd made it a noir?

We'll it was a pretty noir type story, but what I mean more, is that it was like a basic outline of a film more like a sketch/storyboard rather than a full blown film. It could have looked more interesting, as is it's pretty vanilla

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #17349 on: September 20, 2017, 05:21:59 AM »

This one sounds interesting. I'm guessing location work as opposed to sets?
I'm not sure, it's been like two weeks since I watched the film, but I'd guess mostly location work.

There's a dvd of it (I saw it on 35mm), but I'm not sure if there's one with English subs.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17350 on: September 20, 2017, 05:50:28 AM »

The Crooked Way (1949)  re-watched to fix screencaps from original post and to update review. 9/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17351 on: September 20, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »

Uncle John (2016) Director: Steven Piet, stars John Ashton, Alex Moffat, Jenna Lyng, story about revenge and intrigue in rural Wisconsin, that part about the geezers up in the sticks was interesting, but the second story is a love story inserted into the other with really no point except to play to a younger demographic, I couldn't wait for those cutaway sequences to get over they are a distraction to the original tale, but the tale runs out of steam and it's last shot is of John burning the body of the brother of the man who drove his wife to suicide, while the awsucks hometown sheriff shows up at his bonfire. You'd thing the burning body would have given off some type of aroma, no? On Netflix streaming.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17352 on: September 20, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »

Nocturnal Animals - Tom (not John) Ford

Visually and thematically rich film. 8,5/10

I just saw it. Quite interesting.

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17353 on: September 20, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »

stanton on January 20, 2017, 12:40:53 PM
Nocturnal Animals - Tom (not John) Ford
Visually and thematically rich film. 8,5/10

Noodles leone
I just saw it. Quite interesting.

Gee thanks for telling us so much about it.  How about some more info from the both of you?

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17354 on: September 22, 2017, 02:09:22 AM »

The Night My Number Came Up (1955): A man tells a group of people about a dream he had about a routine flight ending in disaster. When those people board a plane the next morning and things start to match with the dream, unease sets in with some of them... Good thriller that cranks up the tension slowly but steadily, with good performances and nice visuals. 7+/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Pages: 1 ... 1155 1156 [1157] 1158 1159 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM