Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:27:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765158 times)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17355 on: September 22, 2017, 02:09:22 AM »

The Night My Number Came Up (1955): A man tells a group of people about a dream he had about a routine flight ending in disaster. When those people board a plane the next morning and things start to match with the dream, unease sets in with some of them... Good thriller that cranks up the tension slowly but steadily, with good performances and nice visuals. 7+/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17356 on: September 22, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »

The Wheeler Dealers (1963), a Rock Hudson/Doris Day comedy without Hudson and Day. Instead we get James Garner and Lee Remick. Harmless fun.

Hatari (1962), no plot to speak of but great location photography.

The Guns of Navarone (1961), one of the best war movies.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:56:20 PM by Jessica Rabbit » Logged

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17357 on: September 22, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »

92 in the Shade (1975) 5/10. This played at the recent Lincoln Center retro on Warren Oates but I was unable to make it. No worries, though, as it turns out there's a DVD, and anyway, the film's not all that great. What little plot there is consists of this: Peter Fonda is trying to get started as a fishing guide (CJ, call your office!) in Key West, and the old hands, instigated by Oates, play a trick on him. In retaliation Fonda burns Oates's boat up. The insurance will cover the loss, but during the lag Oates is worried Fonda will steal all his customers. So Oates issues Fonda an ultimatum: guide, and you die. Will Oates carry through on his threat? The film is filled with a host of A-listers: Harry Dean Stanton, Burgess Meredith, Margot Kidder, Elizabeth Ashley, William Hickey, Sylvia Miles. But they are used to little effect. Thomas McGuane, the novelist, wrote and directed the film, and there are many amateurish qualities to the production. Scenes, for example, end before they develop--haphazard editing it would seem. The lighting in most of the film doesn't work well. The soundtrack is a bit of a problem, too--there's a note at the end to say everything was re-dubbed in London (ITC bankrolled the film). Does that mean the direct sound had to be scrapped, or that that was the plan all along? This isn't so much a film as a demo of a film: too bad they never got around to making the real one.

Watched this finally today, if your are a fisherman or a guide the dialog and the subject matter are going to have obviously more meaning. Guiding in the Keys is a way of life and the shots of the flats, the mangroves, etc., get your adrenaline pumping. It's niche film about the dark side of the guide business. Reminds me of bits of To Have And Have Not, The Bribe, The Breaking Point, The Raging Tide and probably a few others I've forgotten about. I watched a Youtube stream, don't know if it's a decent transfer or not, the cinematography reminds me of Vilmos Zsigmond's. OK for McCabe & Mrs Miller but looked too overexposed for The Hired Hand as it does in this. A nice collection of character actors. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17358 on: September 24, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »

Gee thanks for telling us so much about it.  How about some more info from the both of you?

The film focuses on two stories:
- Amy Adams is neglected by her rich and beautiful husband. She receives the book of her former lover.
- The story she reads in the book, where the main character is played by Jake Gyllenhaal.
Of course, there are parallels between the two stories but they aren't too obvious apart from a casting choice.

While the Amy Adams story is a tad too flat and déjà vu for my taste (although I like the life choice thematically behind it), the book is a great neo noir thriller in west Texas. The visuals are terrific, the atmosphere is top notch but the strongest point of the movie is the acting: everyone is absolutely wonderful and Michael Shannon is in it, so...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17359 on: September 24, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »

It's niche film about the dark side of the guide business.
Do tell, CJ! What have you been hiding from us?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17360 on: September 24, 2017, 11:35:50 PM »

Captain Phillips (2013) 8/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17361 on: September 25, 2017, 04:47:56 AM »

Captain Phillips (2013) 8/10

How did you like the un-steadycam?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17362 on: September 27, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »

The 70s Will Never End

Freebie and the Bean (1974) - 5/10. A cop buddy movie--Caan and Arkin, together again for the first time!--in SF with endless car chases and lots and lots of sloppy shootouts. Man, does it overstay its welcome. If Richard Rush had cut about 20 minutes out of this he would have had a classic. I guess John Landis was watching, though.

Night Moves (1975) - 6/10. Internet buzz has it that the new blu of this sports one of the best 1080p transfers ever made, and I'm here to confirm that. You Will Believe You Are Watching Film . . . in 1975. Too bad the film is so bad. Stanton can natter on to the contrary, but the PI plot is only so-so, and all the stuff between Hackman and Clark (and Hackman and Yulin) is excruciating. The actors do what they can, but that is not "A" material they're spouting. But man--what a transfer!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17363 on: September 27, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »

How did you like the un-steadycam?

Doesn't bother me. Has the tight claustrophobic feel. Good movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #17364 on: September 27, 2017, 08:34:12 AM »

36 Hours (1964) 7/10

I saw this as a kid decades ago, and felt that the way Garner discovers the ruse is good, but that the "situation" that caused such before he was kidnapped was done in too obvious a fashion.  I recently saw a film (can't remember which) where it was too obvious.  In GBU, when Tuco grabs a board from the grave marker one over, one can see that it states "Unknown", but I didn't catch that upon first viewings.

John Banner in pre-Schultz days was in 36 Hours; after seeing so much WW2 on History/American Heroes channels, and my dad serving in WW2, I just cannot watch Hogan's Heroes any more, can't believe that the network actually Ok'd such a show.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17365 on: September 28, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »

I saw this as a kid decades ago, and felt that the way Garner discovers the ruse is good, but that the "situation" that caused such before he was kidnapped was done in too obvious a fashion. 
There is an episode of The Prisoner that uses the very same type of discovery when they try making No. 6 believe he's someone else (is it "Schizoid Man"?). It's such a good device I'm surprised it hasn't been used even more often.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17366 on: September 28, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »

The film focuses on two stories:
- Amy Adams is neglected by her rich and beautiful husband. She receives the book of her former lover.
- The story she reads in the book, where the main character is played by Jake Gyllenhaal.
Of course, there are parallels between the two stories but they aren't too obvious apart from a casting choice.

While the Amy Adams story is a tad too flat and déjà vu for my taste (although I like the life choice thematically behind it), the book is a great neo noir thriller in west Texas. The visuals are terrific, the atmosphere is top notch but the strongest point of the movie is the acting: everyone is absolutely wonderful and Michael Shannon is in it, so...

Just watched it. A great Neo Noir, and agree the West Texas sections with the Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Shannon stories are more interesting. Even a bit Lynchesque in the title sequence. Very moving performances. 8/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17367 on: September 28, 2017, 05:08:05 PM »

You talkin' about Jake Gyllenhaal, the star of Night Crawler? And the blu is only 12.99? Ordered!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17368 on: September 29, 2017, 03:32:09 PM »

Hail, Mafia (1965) directed by Raoul Lévy from a novel by Pierre Lesou, starring Henry Silva, Jack Klugman, Eddie Constantine, Micheline Presle, Elsa Martinelli. A pretty Noir-ish tale about two hitmen sent from NYC to whack a retired Mafia operator. Lousy copy on Youtube.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17369 on: September 30, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »

Beverly Hills Cop (1984). I've seen it a hundred times and I'll see it it a hundred times more. The movie that defines the 80s. Love it.

Independence Day (1996). Great action movie with actors who can actually act. What more do you want?

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM