Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 03:18:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1157 1158 [1159] 1160 1161 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766618 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17370 on: October 01, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »

Across the Pacific (1942) - 7/10
I think there's a rather obvious reference to this movie in OUATIA, in the opening three toughguys searching for Noodles in the Chinese theater. In this one it's a movie theater (but at least Japanese, I think) and no, Bogie isn't smoking anything stronger than tobacco but IMO the reference is obvious. That is also the best scene in this movie and the point where it gets more than moderately interesting. Before that the movie is about 6/10 but then it picks up the pace. Too bad the theater scene didn't appear an hour earlier Undecided

I just saw this on TCM.

I highly doubt that the theater scene in OUATIA was a reference to this movie.

This movie gets a 5.5/10 from me. A piece of crap.

Movie is set in 1941, prior to U.S. entry into WWII. Bogie plays an artillery expert who is dishonorably discharged from the military for stealing. He tries then enlisting in the Canadian military - no such luck, they know who he is. He is rejected. So he decides he'll sell his services to the highest bidder. Chinese, Japanese, he doesn't care. Sure enough, while traveling on  a ship, he's approached by a Japanese agent (Sydney Greenstreet), and offered good money to give away U.S. military secrets.
Of course, as you find out very early in the movie, Bogie isn't REALLY a thief dishonorably discharged; that story was just fed to the news so that the Japs will THINK he is, and will reach out to him. Did you really think HUMPHREY BOGART would sell out America to the Japs?
While on the boat, he meets Mary Astor. So there's a reunion of The Maltese Falcon cast - Bogie, Astor, Greenstreet.
There's a running gag about how every time Bogie meets Astor, she is in some state of undress. Either in a towel as he knocks on the door of her cabin, in a bathing suit sunning on the deck of the ship, or later on with the bathing suit half off as Bogie has to rub ointment on her sunburn. At one point Bogie make a comment about why she is always undressed, and Astor replies something to the effect of, "If it bothers you, they'll put you in a nuthouse." Grin I guess by 2017 standards that would be considered homophobic  Roll Eyes
As author Mark Harris (who certainly has no interest in undressed women) wrote in his book Five Came Back, and Ben Menckiewicz said on TCM, director John Huston was called to the military while filming the movie and Vincent Sherman had to finish it. The only problem? Huston left after a scene in which Bogie is tied up in a room full of guards ... and took the script with him, saying he was sure Bogie would figure out a way to get out! Sherman ended up re-shooting the scene with fewer guards, so that it makes sense when Bogie makes his inevitable getaway.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17371 on: October 03, 2017, 06:51:24 AM »

Nocturnal Animals (2016) - 3/10. Total load of crap. Twice.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17372 on: October 03, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »

Nocturnal Animals (2016) - 3/10. Total load of crap. Twice.

Appalled by the land whales? Surprised you didn't see it when it was in theaters. I dropped my rating to a 7/10 on second watch. If the film would have been solely about the West Texas portion and left out the L.A. soap opera it probably would have been the length of a tight Classic "B" Film Noir and better for it.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007) this one was a 9/10 for me first watch.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:34:33 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17373 on: October 03, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »

Appalled by the land whales? Surprised you didn't see it when it was in theaters. I dropped my rating to a 7/10 on second watch. If the film would have been solely about the West Texas portion and left out the L.A. soap opera it probably would have been the length of a tight Classic "B" Film Noir and better for it.
More like I was appalled by the idea of a Texan travelling across Texas at night with his family and not carrying any kind of weapon. And the fact that even the women don't have weapons! C'mon! The whole crime set-up is less about imagining real Texans in Texas and more about what a New Yorker would imagine about Texans and Texas. And the Michael Shannon character--totally ridiculous. The point where he asks Gyllenhaal if he's willing to NOT follow strict procedure--as if he'd been following procedures at any time prior to that! One of several moments where I had to guffaw.

True, the story within the story was slightly better than the frame narrative (as you say). The soap opera stuff was right out of a 60s movie--I thought I was watching The Best of Everything or Valley of the Dolls at several points. But even the inner story wasn't much: a guy's family is murdered, and then the guy murders the murderers in revenge. The End. Uh, what? And this is supposed to be the transcendent reading experience that gets Amy And Her Beak off her ass and into the restaurant so that another kind of revenge--a very petty one--can be exacted? I gave up watching WWF repeats for this?Huh

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17374 on: October 03, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »

More like I was appalled by the idea of a Texan travelling across Texas at night with his family and not carrying any kind of weapon. And the fact that even the women don't have weapons! C'mon! The whole crime set-up is less about imagining real Texans in Texas and more about what a New Yorker would imagine about Texans and Texas. And the Michael Shannon character--totally ridiculous. The point where he asks Gyllenhaal if he's willing to NOT follow strict procedure--as if he'd been following procedures at any time prior to that! One of several moments where I had to guffaw.

True, the story within the story was slightly better than the frame narrative (as you say). The soap opera stuff was right out of a 60s movie--I thought I was watching The Best of Everything or Valley of the Dolls at several points. But even the inner story wasn't much: a guy's family is murdered, and then the guy murders the murderers in revenge. The End. Uh, what? And this is supposed to be the transcendent reading experience that gets Amy And Her Beak off her ass and into the restaurant so that another kind of revenge--a very petty one--can be exacted? I gave up watching WWF repeats for this?Huh

Agree if they were supposed to be Texans, I didn't catch that, I just supposed they were fish out of water ubiquitous city dwellers just moved to Texas. They acted as such, notice when Gyllenhaal's stumbling out of the desert to the highway he goes through the barbed wire fence when there is an obvious gate right to the right. I'm looking at it as a Noir, a lot of plot point decisions in Noir didn't make sense either.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:28:39 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17375 on: October 04, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »

Agree if they were supposed to be Texans, I didn't catch that
I'm pretty sure Jake was doing (or trying to do) a Texas accent. He was certainly familiar with West Texas cell usage.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17376 on: October 04, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »

Atomic Blonde - David Leitch

Atomic good 8/10

Charlize forever ...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:43:53 AM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17377 on: October 04, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »

Doctor Zhivago 7.5/10 - second viewing. Rating was same as first viewing.

Incredible visually (nobody was better at that than Lean) ;terrific performances, particularly Steiger and Courtenay; but the story just didnít interest me at all.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17378 on: October 04, 2017, 05:20:32 PM »

Atomic Blonde - David Leitch

Atomic good 8/10

Charlotte forever ...
Charlotte Sometimes.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17379 on: October 04, 2017, 05:48:15 PM »

Jusqu'au dernier (1957) A good French Film Noir, Raymond Pellegrin (Fernand Bastia) is released from prison after a six month sentence. He goes into hiding at a traveling carnival where his sister Marcella is a fortune teller. The reason he is laying low is because he has double crossed his gang keeping a portion of the loot from a robbery just before he got pinched. Fernand gets a job being a carny barker, there he falls in love with Gina (Jeanne Moreau) but this gets another carney Quedchi jealous.

Fredo Riccioni (Paul Meurisse the headmaster from Les Diaboliques), the boss of the gang that pulled the robbery job eventually manages to trace Fernand back to the carnival.

There are only a pitiful handful of French Film Noir readily available here, there should be more.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17380 on: October 05, 2017, 02:41:42 AM »

Charlotte Sometimes.

Nice song, but not that suited for this Charlotte.

Edit: Uhh ... Charlize in fact ...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:44:57 AM by stanton » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17381 on: October 05, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »

Jusqu'au dernier (1957) A good French Film Noir, Raymond Pellegrin (Fernand Bastia) is released from prison after a six month sentence. He goes into hiding at a traveling carnival where his sister Marcella is a fortune teller. The reason he is laying low is because he has double crossed his gang keeping a portion of the loot from a robbery just before he got pinched. Fernand gets a job being a carny barker, there he falls in love with Gina (Jeanne Moreau) but this gets another carney Quedchi jealous.

Fredo Riccioni (Paul Meurisse the headmaster from Les Diaboliques), the boss of the gang that pulled the robbery job eventually manages to trace Fernand back to the carnival.

There are only a pitiful handful of French Film Noir readily available here, there should be more.
You saw this on disc?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17382 on: October 05, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »

You saw this on disc?

it's on Youtube

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17383 on: October 06, 2017, 06:13:40 AM »

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) IMAX - Visuals: 10/10. Story: 7/10. Nice faux Vangelis score (Zimmer should forget his own "style" and ape Mr. V every time). Impeccable lighting. Compositions and pacing of Kubrickean magnitude (hence the long runtime). The plot works well until it doesn't. Everything goes to shit at the climax (The baddies are taking Ford where? Gosling is trying to do what with his spinner?) This is also the point where it becomes difficult to follow the action. The ending is trite. Practical FX is very good; the CGI doesn't always work ( e.g. long shots of spinners flying over cityscapes). The best FX was Ana de Armas: she teases for the first two hours; finally we get her 50 ft. holographic nude image--that's entertainment! (But is that her actual T&A, or CGI enhancements?) I never want to watch this again, but I'll be buying the OST CD.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:15:25 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17384 on: October 07, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »

Finally watched Age of Ultron... 5/10

This was hopelessly mediocre. Also, fuck Joss Whedon, he overstayed his welcome long ago.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Pages: 1 ... 1157 1158 [1159] 1160 1161 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM