Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 10:11:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1796373 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17445 on: November 01, 2017, 06:40:45 AM »

Junior Bonner (1971) - 8/10. Uh oh, the new Kino blu is struck from the dreaded "dated master." Black levels are elevated, skin tones are frequently too red. It's like watching something from 8 years ago. Otherwise, though, the image is sharp and provides a good viewing experience. If one had time to view it, that is. That damn Mike Siegel has loaded this thing up with all kinds of extras. Two Passion & Poetry installments (one at 56min., the other at 26)! 3 animated image galleries (the one with the posters is particularly nice). Damn it, Mike, who has time now to watch the feature? (which includes commentary from the Peckinpah Posse (was this originally gonna be a Twilight Time release?)). Anyway, Passion & Poetry - Rodeo Time is worth the price of admissions alone: 80% of it is an interview with screenwriter Jeb Rosebrook, and man, he really knows where all the bodies are buried (he was there from the start: he originated the project, he was there when McQueen was attached, he remembers when Peckinpah got involved, he did re-writes on set). Anyway, a real fount of knowledge. Well done, Mike.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17446 on: November 01, 2017, 06:51:01 AM »

Junior Bonner (1971) - 8/10. Uh oh, the new Kino blu is struck from the dreaded "dated master." Black levels are elevated, skin tones are frequently too red. It's like watching something from 8 years ago. Otherwise, though, the image is sharp and provides a good viewing experience. If one had time to view it, that is. That damn Mike Siegel has loaded this thing up with all kinds of extras. Two Passion & Poetry installments (one at 56min., the other at 26)! 3 animated image galleries (the one with the posters is particularly nice). Damn it, Mike, who has time now to watch the feature? (which includes commentary from the Peckinpah Posse (was this originally gonna be a Twilight Time release?)). Anyway, Passion & Poetry - Rodeo Time is worth the price of admissions alone: 80% of it is an interview with screenwriter Jeb Rosebrook, and man, he really knows where all the bodies are buried (he was there from the start: he originated the project, he was there when McQueen was attached, he remembers when Peckinpah got involved, he did re-writes on set). Anyway, a real fount of knowledge. Well done, Mike.

Nice thanks for the info.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17447 on: November 01, 2017, 09:09:21 PM »

The Seduction of Mimi (Mimě metallurgico ferito nell'onore) (1972)  7/10, a lot of fun to watch again, haven't seen it for quite a while. Giancarlo Giannini and Mariangela Melato, Director Lina Wertmuller.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17448 on: November 02, 2017, 02:20:49 AM »

Inside Llewyn Davis - 9/10
 Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
I love this movie so much. Its only flaw is it makes me sad for 2 weeks everytime I watch it.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:51:57 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17449 on: November 02, 2017, 06:26:52 AM »

Inside Llewyin Davis - 9/10
 Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
I love this movie so much. Its only flaw is it makes me sad for 2 weeks everytime I watch it.
You're not as dumb as you pretend to be.

Meanwhile, with the coming of the November CC sale at B&N, I can finally afford to buy Martin Scorsese Presents World Cinema's Box of Overpriced Bollocks, Vol. 2. The first fruits have already been sampled:

Taipei Story (1985) - 8/10. This is the second feature by the late Taiwanese filmmaker Edward Yang. I haven't been overly impressed by Yang's films in the past--Yiyi is too slick with too much story, A Brighter Summer's Day has a bullshit plot and bullshit lighting--but he did a marvelous job on this. The plot is subtle but simple: a young couple suffers from poor choices they make in their professional and personal lives. All the while the city of Taipei is featured--it's the third lead!--in a period of transition. There is marvelous photography of the old and the new (I'm guessing very little of what we see here has survived to the present day). All the lighting decisions are sound, particularly those for night shoots. There are some nice cello bits, too, supplied by Yo-Yo Ma. An added bit of interest: in an unusual casting bid, the filmmaker Hsiao-Hsien Hou plays the lead.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:31:55 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17450 on: November 02, 2017, 07:35:29 PM »

The 70s Will Never Die (Part 532)!

Scarecrow (1973) - 7/10. Pacino and Hackman, together again for the first time! They're hobos, on the road together (they sure have a lot of money to spend in bars, though). Because of its highly episodic structure, the film is uneven: some episodes are great, some are rather uninteresting and protracted. The opener, though, is fantastic--in a scene that is almost wordless, the leads meet and become friends. The ending scene is also a winner (because it's impossible to know before it finishes that it IS the ending scene). This was Jerry Schatzberg's third feature (after Puzzle of a Downfall Child and The Panic in Needle Park). In his day he sure was something.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17451 on: November 02, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »

The 70s Will Never Die (Part 532)!

Scarecrow (1973) - 7/10. Pacino and Hackman, together again for the first time! They're hobos, on the road together (they sure have a lot of money to spend in bars, though). Because of its highly episodic structure, the film is uneven: some episodes are great, some are rather uninteresting and protracted. The opener, though, is fantastic--in a scene that is almost wordless, the leads meet and become friends. The ending scene is also a winner (because it's impossible to know before it finishes that it IS the ending scene). This was Jerry Schatzberg's third feature (after Puzzle of a Downfall Child and The Panic in Needle Park). In his day he sure was something.

Saw this a while ago. Decent movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17452 on: November 03, 2017, 04:08:00 AM »

I never saw it, although I have had the DVD for about a decade. I never got the courage to put it on: it looks like the kind of movie I'd be glad to have watched once. DJ, you're making me kinda want to man up and put that disk in da player.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17453 on: November 03, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »

Maybe the film as a whole you only need to watch once, but there are certain scenes you will want to replay.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17454 on: November 03, 2017, 06:31:17 AM »

Maybe the film as a whole you only need to watch once, but there are certain scenes you will want to replay.

Nice. I'm definitely watching it soon, thanks.

www.ThibautOskian.com
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17455 on: November 03, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »

A Quality Of Murder (1991): Denholm Elliott is asked to look into a mysterious letter, but ends up neck deep into solving the brutal murder of the writer, inside a small community at a boy's school. Despite Elliott playing George Smiley (John le Carre's 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' etc), this is more of a classic British murder mystery than anything Cold War related. Not bad, not great. 6+/10

The Fourth Protocol (1987): Secret service agent Michael Caine uncovers Russian plans to smuggle a nuclear bomb into the UK to detonate at a US army base, in an effort to destabilize nuclear agreements between Russian and the US. Pretty talk-y, but I enjoyed it. 7/10

Watched both on a cheap-o 'doublepack' DVD I picked up years ago and promptly forgot about. TFP is a pan&scan version tho, bleagh... Another old DVD that shall be donated to the local charity shop.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #17456 on: November 05, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »

Mrs. Cusser and I watched "Sleeping with other People" last night, cute.  And Alison Brie is a major hottie, hadn't seen her before.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17457 on: November 06, 2017, 05:19:57 AM »

Watched over the weekend...

Beyond The Darkness aka Buio Omega (1979): After the death of his wife, amateur taxidermist Kieran Canter goes cuckoo, supported by his even crazier housekeeper Franca Stoppi. Over the top gore (the taxidermy reference was included for a reason, and that's only the start), with some impressive effects. Not scary, but don't watch right after a big meal. 5/10

Last year 88 Films ran a fundraiser for restoring a bunch of Italian horror movies incl this one, which I participated in. What the f*ck was I thinking?! The included interview featurette about director Aristide Massaccesi aka Joe D'Amato is really nice & informative however.

Stolen Assignment (1955): Reporter couple John Bentley and Hy Hazell investigate the murder of failed artist Patrick Holt's wealthy wife. One of several movies made around the reporter couple (not always played by the same actors), it's a nicely made and decently fun movie. But far from a hidden gem. 6/10

Watched this on the Network UK DVD I got through their most recent sale. Good quality as always.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17458 on: November 07, 2017, 12:28:07 AM »

Thor: Ragnarok - 8/10

A lot of fun (funnier than I expected, given the theme) and finally some character development for Thor. Loki is brilliant as always. Valkyrie is a welcome addition, and the lack of Natalie Portman and the rest of the boring humans is a huge plus. Hela makes for a pretty fine villain, and I only realized after the movie that her henchman is played by Karl Urban, making for a rather funny LotR reunion. Also, Heimdall is awesome. I wish he got his own solo movie, because I love Idris Elba a lot.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17459 on: November 07, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »

Pale Flower (1964) - 10/10. Best. Yakuza. Evah. Not Takemitsu's best score, however.

Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM