Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 02:42:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1172 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1884280 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17490 on: November 25, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »

My Journey Through French Cinema (2017) - 10/10. Tavernier thinks he's the French Martin Scorsese, I guess. This does not employ a comprehensive approach; rather, one that is personal and highly idiosyncratic. We get passages on the following in the following order: Becker, Jean DeLannoy, Renoir (lots of clips from The Crime of Monsieur Lange) , Jean Gabin (as though he were an auteur), Carne, film composers, Eddie Constantine & Jean Sacha (Iíve never seen an of these films, but the clips shown make me want to), Truffaut (just The 400 Blows), Edmond T. Greville, Melville (mostly Leon Morin and Le Doulos), Chabrol (perfunctory mention), Godard, Sautet (The Big Risk). In a bonus interview Tavernier claims to be working on an 8-part TV follow-up that will allow him to hit all the things he wasn't able to fit into his 3-hr. film. I'd buy THAT for a dollar.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17491 on: November 25, 2017, 10:03:24 AM »

What makes it a 10/10?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17492 on: November 25, 2017, 11:51:04 AM »

What makes it a 10/10?

It's french ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17493 on: November 25, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »

It's french ...
. . . and it's fun. I spent 3 hours in the dark with my clothes on and at the end I was entirely satisfied. The works selected and sampled were great. Tavernier's comments were great. I saw things I knew and wanted to know better and things I was completely unfamiliar with that I now want to learn more about. This piece does what Scorsese's film from 20 years ago did: it piques my interest in particular movies. Yay!

Anyway, onward.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) - 9/10. Martin McDonagh finally directs a real movie! Yay! This one has real characters, and you can tell they're real because they're capable of change. Frances McDormand is on her way to another Oscar nom. Woody Harrelson is beyond amazing; Sam Rockwell shows what he really can do. And all the secondary characters are so well cast it's frightening. This film uses flashbacks better than just about any film I can think of in the last decade-and-a-half. Some of the plotting is off, though: for example, a cop goes rogue and throws a citizen out a window and all he gets is the loss of his job. No criminal penalties? No civil penalties? There should have been something in the script to answer such questions. On the other hand, the several twists and reversals in the story work well. It all maybe goes a little long at the end, but I really enjoyed this piece.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17494 on: November 25, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »

It's french ...

I am too, he never rated me 10.

. . . and it's fun. I spent 3 hours in the dark with my clothes on and at the end I was entirely satisfied. The works selected and sampled were great. Tavernier's comments were great. I saw things I knew and wanted to know better and things I was completely unfamiliar with that I now want to learn more about. This piece does what Scorsese's film from 20 years ago did: it piques my interest in particular movies. Yay!

Thanks! I'll try to catch it.

Tavernier is better at talking about cinema than he is at making movies (he's still far from bad at that either). He's often doing masterclasses or talking at events about Scorsese and American Cinema. I like him.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17495 on: November 25, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »

Now that you are saying this, that is indeed puzzling, if not even disturbing ...

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:14:23 PM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17496 on: November 25, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »

Is the Tavernier film in French or English?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17497 on: November 25, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »

Coincidentally, DJ and I just saw The Crime of Monsieur Lange at Film Forum on Tuesday. Yeah, DJ made me sit through a comedy  Cry
Best thing you can say about it is that itís the opportunity to see an obscure Renoir film, just so you donít have to wonder about the obscure film of an auteur, ďAm I missing something great?Ē Neh, itís pretty shitty. Iím not into comedy anyway, but dj didnít like this, either.

p.s. I bought Renoirís memoir in the lobby of the theater. Itís pretty cheap ($15 for paperback) translated into English. Skipped around to some parts about movies Iíve seen. Not a very good book.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17498 on: November 25, 2017, 04:05:59 PM »

Now that you are saying this, that is indeed puzzling, if not even disturbing ...

He's being shy about it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17499 on: November 26, 2017, 04:49:06 AM »

T2 (Trainspotting 2) - 7.5-8/10

Why didn't anyone here tell me it was that good?

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17500 on: November 26, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »

Coincidentally, DJ and I just saw The Crime of Monsieur Lange at Film Forum on Tuesday. Yeah, DJ made me sit through a comedy  Cry
Best thing you can say about it is that itís the opportunity to see an obscure Renoir film, just so you donít have to wonder about the obscure film of an auteur, ďAm I missing something great?Ē Neh, itís pretty shitty. Iím not into comedy anyway, but dj didnít like this, either.

Since when is this a comedy?

And Le crime de Mr. Lange is not an obscure film, but one of Renoir's best. And most famous.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: November 26, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »

And Le crime de Mr. Lange is not an obscure film, but one of Renoir's best. And most famous.

In USA, it does not seem to be readily available on DVD.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: November 26, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »

Not a very good book.
You're just annoyed that your copy came with water damage.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17503 on: November 26, 2017, 05:36:25 PM »

Since the Film Forum decided to market it that way. Well, it does have our heroes crossing the border to safety at the end, so it certainly isn't a tragedy.

This film in Anglo-Saxon countries has been impossible to see for many years. This new restoration is being heralded as a big deal. Doubtless we will see a Criterion Blu-ray of it in 2018. As Drink says, now that I've finally seen the film I don't think much of it. But then, I'm not all that keen on Renoir in general. Nice to have another notch on the belt, though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: November 26, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

I've never seen you in your bathing suit. My imagination can only take me so far.

Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1172 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM