Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 12:19:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1888624 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17535 on: December 14, 2017, 08:23:31 AM »

Heat and Dust (1983) - 9/10. A woman (Julie Christie) goes to India to retrace the steps of her grandmother's sister (Greta Scacchi, in flashback) and has similar experiences. So we get two parallel stories, nicely edited together. Here is the standard trick: a scene from the 1983 story occurs in a distinctive setting; then we see a scene from the 1923 story in the same place. Near the end there is a beautiful bit of superimposition to suggest a point of overlapping between the two tales. Throughout, the photography by Walter Lassally is especially beautiful (the man sure likes his filters!). Great music, too. The new Blu-ray from Cohen does the film justice.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17536 on: December 14, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »

Lost in the Sun (2016)  The story of a small-time crook John, who finds an unlikely accomplice in Louis, a newly-orphaned teenage boy. An entertaining road picture 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17537 on: December 15, 2017, 01:39:19 AM »

Mr. Denning Drives North (1951): John Miles disapproves of his daughter's fiancee Herbert Lom because of his nefarious past, and accidentally kills him during a confrontation. Panicking, he decides to dump the body next to a road hoping it'll be seen as a hit & run accident. But things go awry when the body doesn't get mentioned on the news, and the daughter's new fling, lawyer Sam Wanamaker, takes an interest into the man's disappearance. Solid British thriller with good performances, some nice nice twists and an ending that would not have been allowed if this had been made in Hollywood. 7/10

Another Network UK DVD, another good transfer. And I love the slimcases they use, they take up way less space...

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17538 on: December 15, 2017, 07:22:33 AM »

2046 (2004) - 5/10. WKW descends into self-parody, and a parade of Chinese lovelies--Gong Li, Ziyi Zhang, Faye Wong--isn't enough to save the film. Still, making Faye Wong look good shows skill.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17539 on: December 15, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »

Exodus (1960) 7/10

Sal Mineo has terrific supporting performance. Lee J. Cobb very good also. Great score.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #17540 on: December 15, 2017, 11:45:24 PM »

Seaman No 7 , 3/6.......Wang Yu as sailor vs Japan mafia and James Tien with Bowie-esque hairstyle Tongue

Invincible sword , 4/6

Bruce Le shaolin 4/6 , Fist of Fury wannabe , usual Bolo appearance.

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17541 on: December 16, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »

The Wages Of Fear aka Le Salaire De La Peur (1953): Yves Montand and 3 others are to drive 2 trucks filled with volatile nitroglycerin down 300 miles of treacherous bad roads and up & down a few mountains. Overly long intro and ridiculous 'ironic' ending but the drive itself is pretty damn tense. 7+/10

Buddy of mine sent me his spare copy of the Criterion blu-ray. Worse things have happened...

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17542 on: December 16, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »

The Wages Of Fear aka Le Salaire De La Peur (1953): Yves Montand and 3 others are to drive 2 trucks filled with volatile nitroglycerin down 300 miles of treacherous bad roads and up & down a few mountains. Overly long intro and ridiculous 'ironic' ending but the drive itself is pretty damn tense. 7+/10

Buddy of mine sent me his spare copy of the Criterion blu-ray. Worse things have happened...

Maybe he has a spare million bucks lying around somewhere?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17543 on: December 17, 2017, 05:13:14 AM »

Maybe he has a spare million bucks lying around somewhere?

I'll ask  Grin

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17544 on: December 18, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »

Crime d'Amour aka Love Crime (2010): Ludivine Sagnier is the creative right hand of business woman Kristin Scott Thomas who shamelessly uses Sagnier's ideas to advance her own career. But one day Sagnier decides enough is enough, with lethal consequences. Good thriller with an ironic ending. 7+/10

Watched this on Netflix. Brian DePalma did a remake a few years ago called 'Passion'. Will check it sometime to compare.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17545 on: December 19, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »

Crime d'Amour aka Love Crime (2010): Ludivine Sagnier is the creative right hand of business woman Kristin Scott Thomas who shamelessly uses Sagnier's ideas to advance her own career. But one day Sagnier decides enough is enough, with lethal consequences. Good thriller with an ironic ending. 7+/10
I'd go an "8" on this.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17546 on: December 21, 2017, 04:29:13 AM »

Murder On The Orient Express (2017): Kenneth Branagh directs and stars as Hercule Poirot who tries to find a murderer among a cast featuring names like Judi Dench, Michelle Pfeiffer, Willem Dafoe, Penelope Cruz and Johnny Depp. It brings nothing new to the table, but I really enjoyed this one for what it is, and wouldn't mind a Death On The Nile movie if Branagh plays Poirot again (clearly hinted at in this one). 8/10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17547 on: December 26, 2017, 10:31:58 PM »

I Love You, Daddy (2017) - 8/10
Louis CK can masturbate all he wants. He is still an excellent filmmaker. (kidding. kinda.) A shame this was cancelled. Maybe it was an fucked up apology, but I'm almost positive that from some of the dialogue, Louis knew exactly what was coming this year when he went into making this. But beyond self-awareness, this is very much a both tribute to and attack of Woody Allen. Stylistically, the movie borrows tons and tons from Allen, while also including a character that is very obviously supposed to be him - with heavy focus on perversion toward younger women. This is used as an interesting device to say a lot about the ethics of parenting, and the strange depths of a father-daughter relationship. And loaded with self-awareness in the questions it raises about separating a person's art from their personal life. The movie is not as 'horrifying, repulsive, etc.' as the critics say - those words are only there because of the New York Times article. It's an incredibly fascinating movie to watch given all the recent news, especially because it was directed, produced, financed, edited by, written, and stars one of the biggest and most controversial names in recent scandals. A poor choice not to release this, in my opinion.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17548 on: December 28, 2017, 11:21:26 PM »

Fusion [MV] by Perfume (2017) - 10/10. Three cities; three performances; one transmission (in 5G). noodles_leone can only dream of such things as he goes about making his lame commercials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgdASCXJjNk

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17549 on: December 29, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »

The Florida Project (2017) - 9/10
Film of the year?

Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM