Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2024, 11:56:00 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1183 1184 [1185] 1186 1187 ... 1403
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5183176 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17760 : April 29, 2018, 03:27:14 AM »

OK it wasn't clear ;-)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #17761 : April 29, 2018, 06:01:33 AM »

Trois Couleurs : Bleu 9/10
I had not seen this one for years... Apart from the opening and closing scenes, that I watch on a regular basis. Terrific. I may steal the recurrent use of black screen + loud music in the middle of regular scenes to show the bursts of pain that come with mourning for my upcoming short movie (the one I partially shot in NYC).
I still have to give Blanc a shot. I bought it recently so i’ll Probably watch it within 2 weeks.
You're not as stupid as you pretend to be, although for me TC:B will always be a 10. Apart from scenes in Leone, it is the greatest example of image and sound in perfect balance. Preisner's music is some of the best ever scored. The film's coda--where the repurposed "Song For the Unification of Europe" is used behind a final accounting of each of the film's characters, is truly stirring. And of course, the unity-for-Europe meme plays as wonderfully ironic now.

White is very funny, and provides both contrast and complement to Bleu.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17762 : April 29, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »

Nadine (1987)  In 1954, a beautician, Nadine Hightower (Kin Basinger) wants to get her 'art studies' photographs that she posed for a few years back from sleazy photographer Raymond Escobar (Jerry Stiller), he told her he was a scout for Playboy Magazine. Her visit to the photographer leaves him dead and her in possession of an envelope containing not her cheesecake images but instead photographs showing the right of way for the new highway. Valuable if you should happen to own or buy up the land it going to go over. Some one sees her splitting the scene,  so the police and the crooks who have her photos instead of the plans are after her. She persuades her almost ex-husband Vernon (Jeff Bridges) to sneak back into the crime scene to find the right set of photographs. Of course things go wrong. Rip Torn is Buford Pope the shady buisnessman. 6-7/10

« : April 29, 2018, 10:30:29 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17763 : April 30, 2018, 03:51:44 AM »

The Conversation - 7/10
I was glad to see it again after all these years, but it doesn't offer much rewatch value. Everything is well crafted but pretty much on the nose. The hotel scene, although quite Lynchean (in a good way) isn't half as fascinating as it should, and I found myself checking my watch several times when I saw that scene coming. Still a good film.
Of course, decade after decade, the whole privacy theme of the film keeps finding new ways to resonate with current events.

« : April 30, 2018, 03:53:36 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #17764 : May 01, 2018, 05:33:13 AM »

La fin du jour (1939) - 10/10. Michel Simon and Louis Jouvet, together again for the first time? How could a single film contain them both? Wouldn't their pairing have caused the very fabric of space-time to rip apart? And yet, here we are 80 years later; the film is still with us, too. And what a film! Jouvet plays an aging lothario who retires from the stage and enters a retirement home for actors. Simon is already there, as is another character played by Victor Francen. The home is on its last legs financially . . . This unpromising premise is transformed by an amazing script and great performances and masterly direction. Every cliché is avoided. Just when I thought I knew where the story was going, other choices were selected. Neither of the characters played by Jouvet and Simon ended up where I thought they would. There is a good deal of humor here, but pathos as well (the film expertly blurs the distinction between performances on the stage and performances in real life). A masterpiece, and confirmation that Julien Duvivier is France's greatest filmmaker, bar none.

« : May 01, 2018, 05:38:09 AM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17765 : May 01, 2018, 07:24:11 AM »

La fin du jour (1939) - 10/10. Michel Simon and Louis Jouvet, together again for the first time? How could a single film contain them both? Wouldn't their pairing have caused the very fabric of space-time to rip apart? And yet, here we are 80 years later; the film is still with us, too. And what a film! Jouvet plays an aging lothario who retires from the stage and enters a retirement home for actors. Simon is already there, as is another character played by Victor Francen. The home is on its last legs financially . . . This unpromising premise is transformed by an amazing script and great performances and masterly direction. Every cliché is avoided. Just when I thought I knew where the story was going, other choices were selected. Neither of the characters played by Jouvet and Simon ended up where I thought they would. There is a good deal of humor here, but pathos as well (the film expertly blurs the distinction between performances on the stage and performances in real life). A masterpiece, and confirmation that Julien Duvivier is France's greatest filmmaker, bar none.

Never heard of it. I'll check it out.

Madame De... - 7/10
Drink was very upset I had never seen it so here I am. Terrific camerawork (of course), Boyer is amazing (of course, but he also has the best character) and a nice Maupassant-like wit that rewards the viewer with a few great lines. Unfortunately, the second half becomes way more of your good old melodrama without any twist that makes it interesting apart from the camerawork. Maybe they should have gone full Flaubert style and actively make fun of the very vain Madame de... in the end.

« : May 01, 2018, 07:27:33 AM noodles_leone »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17766 : May 01, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »

The Conversation - 7/10
I was glad to see it again after all these years, but it doesn't offer much rewatch value. Everything is well crafted but pretty much on the nose. The hotel scene, although quite Lynchean (in a good way) isn't half as fascinating as it should, and I found myself checking my watch several times when I saw that scene coming. Still a good film.
Of course, decade after decade, the whole privacy theme of the film keeps finding new ways to resonate with current events.
More known today as the very first movie reviewed on the SLWB "Rate The Last Movie You Saw" thread.

Better Call Saul did the last scene better.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17767 : May 01, 2018, 10:04:32 AM »

More known today as the very first movie reviewed on the SLWB "Rate The Last Movie You Saw" thread.

A first review that happens to totally contradict mine. Please edit your post so it doesn't.

Better Call Saul did the last scene better.

What BCS scene are you thinking about? Something to do with Chuck?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17768 : May 01, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »

A first review that happens to totally contradict mine. Please edit your post so it doesn't.

What BCS scene are you thinking about? Something to do with Chuck?

I was 14 when I wrote that. I'm sure things would be different now...

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPqqkf53-Hw

edit: shit thats not a video. when he *SPOILERS*

tears the whole house apart looking for electricity source and then kills himself at the end

« : May 01, 2018, 11:02:48 AM PowerRR »
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17769 : May 01, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »

The Conversation is pretty much a flawless movie, a 7 is incredibly harsh.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17770 : May 01, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »

7 is good for me. Don’t get me wrong, I like it. I was disappointed I didn’t find anything new during the rewatch. Maybe it isn’t as deep as it tries to be.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17771 : May 02, 2018, 02:17:20 AM »

Rewatching The Conversation last year lead to a similar experience than described by Noodles.

Very 70s in a dated way. 7/10 is just ok for now.
The Godfather films and Apo Now are on the other hand still absolutely great films.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17772 : May 02, 2018, 06:20:48 AM »

Yes.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17773 : May 02, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »

Munich - 8.5/10
I’m like it more and more with each viewing. Please replace Eric Bana by whoever you want, and just forget the intercutting of the terrific final flash back with the terrible sex scene so nobody think the whole thing is a slapstick  comedy.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17774 : May 07, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »

War of the Worlds (2005) - 7/10
I'm watching a lot of Spielbergs these days so why not rewatch Steven's answer to 9/11? Another one of his works that comes close to being a huge classic, but they ruin it with a few weird or too spielbergian choices (mainly the first and the last 10 minutes). Most of it is top notch filmmaking that elevate the medium to another level of craft, though. It's also probably the less PC friendly blockbuster ever (ok, it's a tie with Birth of a Nation).

« : May 07, 2018, 06:50:37 AM noodles_leone »

: 1 ... 1183 1184 [1185] 1186 1187 ... 1403  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines