Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2024, 10:55:01 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 ... 1403
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5183131 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17775 : May 07, 2018, 06:59:53 AM »

War of the Worlds (2005) - 7/10
I'm watching a lot of Spielbergs these days so why not rewatch Steven's answer to 9/11? Another one of his works that comes close to being a huge classic, but they ruin it with a few weird or too spielbergian choices (mainly the first and the last 10 minutes). Most of it is top notch filmmaking that elevate the medium to another level of craft, though. It's also probably the less PC friendly blockbuster ever (ok, it's a tie with Birth of a Nation).
I've been rewatching every Spielberg film in order. I'm at Amistad now. Excited to rewatch the 2000's work.

Would like a more elaborate breakdown of your Ready Player One percentages. I saw it and I'd probably agree 6, maybe 7. Very inconsistent movie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #17776 : May 07, 2018, 07:04:11 AM »

that elevates the medium to another level of craft
But not of art. Schlockberg is a great craftsman, certainly, I would never argue with that.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17777 : May 07, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »

But not of art. Schlockberg is a great craftsman, certainly, I would never argue with that.

There is plenty of art in War of the Worlds (to a level I would never have believed before watching it at the time), but I'm with you, the movie is most of the time far from reaching incredible heights. But the Tim Robbin scenes, though flawed, are impressive enough to be called "art".

Spielberg is unquestionably in the top 10 best craftsmen of the history of filmmaking (I'd personnaly rank him #1 by very, very far), which is a title nobody serious in the industry is denying him, but he sure isn't in the top 20 artist filmmakers. Yet, I'm pretty sure his sincere mainstream tastes cause many people to be prejudiced against the great art he's doing from time to time.

Would like a more elaborate breakdown of your Ready Player One percentages. I saw it and I'd probably agree 6, maybe 7. Very inconsistent movie.

I'll come back to you tomorrow on this. What's your elaborate take on it?

« : May 07, 2018, 07:42:54 AM noodles_leone »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17778 : May 07, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »

I'll come back to you tomorrow on this. What's your elaborate take on it?
I thought the casting was perfect. Tye Sheridan was born to play a Spielberg adolescent. Loved Mark Rylance in his role. And every other supporting actor was just great.

I really enjoyed the story overall. Yeah a lot of it is down the audience's throat (the movie literally ends with "you shouldn't spend so much time gaming and on the internet!"), but hey, its a kids movie. I'm fine with that.

The Shining sequence was a nice surprise and a lot of fun to see Spielberg playing in Kubrick's world again.

I was really dissatisfied with the design of the OASIS. I thought it couldn't have been more bland and ugly in terms of character design (twinks with lame Final Fantasy hair), colors (blue and orange...great), texture. Unfortunately this is well over half the movie, and it looks to me like a generic yet well-done PS4 or Xbox cutscene.

I wonder if this is intentional, though, like Spielberg almost doesn't want it to age well or to look more unique and imaginative, separate from modern gaming trends. How the movie embraces 80's nostalgia, maybe by making it look as generic as possible, 30 years down the road this movie will be naturally nostalgic of gaming styles of today.

I thought everything done in the real world was excellently shot and crafted, but OASIS takes up a lot of the movie, and I also think that hurt the pacing a lot. Too many scenes in there dragged far too long, especially the final battle.

I'm glad I didn't bother to finish the book first as it seems a lot of fans of it didn't enjoy the movie at all. I'd rather enjoy the movie than the book.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17779 : May 07, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »

Rewatching The Conversation last year lead to a similar experience than described by Noodles.

Very 70s in a dated way. 7/10 is just ok for now.
The Godfather films and Apo Now are on the other hand still absolutely great films.
So Night Moves isn't dated and stuck in the 70's but The Conversation is??

I'm watching a lot of Spielbergs these days so why not rewatch Steven's answer to 9/11? Another one of his works that comes close to being a huge classic, but they ruin it with a few weird or too spielbergian choices (mainly the first and the last 10 minutes). Most of it is top notch filmmaking that elevate the medium to another level of craft, though. It's also probably the less PC friendly blockbuster ever (ok, it's a tie with Birth of a Nation).

Looking past your rating system, I agree with all of this. There are a couple scenes that try to manipulate the audience or flat out cheat, but outside of that, the movie is far and away the best blockbuster of the last 10+ years.

WOTW '53 is close to a masterpiece imo but this one would be close without the scene(s) that cheat - both movies are magnificently directed.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17780 : May 07, 2018, 12:37:20 PM »

So Night Moves isn't dated and stuck in the 70's but The Conversation is??

Yes.
It's of course a 70s film in many respects, but that's not a problem.
Night Moves gets better with every viewing, it's a film about real people, but The Conversation tries in a typical 70s mode to be too arty, but feels too often only pretentious. I see the ideas, but I don't feel them.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17781 : May 08, 2018, 02:15:18 AM »

Looking past your rating system, I agree with all of this. There are a couple scenes that try to manipulate the audience or flat out cheat, but outside of that, the movie is far and away the best blockbuster of the last 10+ years.

WOTW '53 is close to a masterpiece imo but this one would be close without the scene(s) that cheat - both movies are magnificently directed.

SPOILER AHEAD

What scenes are cheating in your opinion? The son's fake death for instance?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17782 : May 09, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »

SPOILER AHEAD

What scenes are cheating in your opinion? The son's fake death for instance?
Yeah, that's the big one. Isn't there something else too?

Yes.
It's of course a 70s film in many respects, but that's not a problem.
Night Moves gets better with every viewing, it's a film about real people, but The Conversation tries in a typical 70s mode to be too arty, but feels too often only pretentious. I see the ideas, but I don't feel them.

I have a low tolerance for movies that I feel that try too hard/are ostentatious/too arty/etc but I never once felt that way about The Conversation, and Harry Caul is a phenomenal character. Agree to disagree. Now if you want to say that it sort of cheats with the audio sort of magically changing, if I got that right, then I won't argue that.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17783 : May 10, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »

Dead Man (1995) 6/10. All your favorites are here: Alfred Molina (cameo), John Hurt (cameo), Gabriel Byrne (cameo), Lance Henricksen, Billy Bob Thornton (under so many prostheses you’d never recognize him if he didn’t speak), Mitchum (cameo), Johnny Dippshi*t. With Robby Muller behind the camera and Neil Young on guitar. Great locations, including Neah Bay, Washington (home of the Makah tribe). It all goes on just a little too long. The new Criterion blu, though, is a treat.

« : May 11, 2018, 06:34:20 AM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17784 : May 10, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »

Stone (2010) Director, John Curran with Edward Norton, Milla Jovovich, and Robert De Niro, kept my interest, Jovovich is stunning. Sort of the very beginning of The Getaway stretched into a whole film. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17785 : May 11, 2018, 06:10:23 AM »

Babette's Feast (1987) - 7/10. Story-wise this doesn't have much to offer: a woman (Stéphane Audran) makes a beautiful French dinner for an isolated Danish community who can't fully appreciate it. And the theme seems to be no more profound than "A good meal makes it easier for people to get along." But the photography is wonderful, especially the shots of some of the most elegant food the world has ever known. The preparation of something called cailles en sarcophagi--quail stuffed with foie gras and the blackest of truffles, all housed in puff pastry--approaches something like a religious ritual. It's consumption is also treated with high seriousness. We who live now can never experience the cuisine of Cafe Anglais (a real place, I understand, for over a century) except vicariously, through this film.

« : May 11, 2018, 06:37:42 AM dave jenkins »

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17786 : May 14, 2018, 01:53:57 AM »

Pulp (1972): Michael Caine is a pulp author who's asked to ghostwrite the autobiography of former moviestar Mickey Rooney. But things go awry when Rooney is shot at close range at a festive meal. Uneven movie that doesn't quite know whether to be comedic, or a spoof/tribute to noir/pulp novels. Caine's voice-overs are great tho (told in a hard-boiled manner, often giving a slightly skewed account of the on-screen events). Second collaboration between Caine and director Mike Hodges after 'Get Carter', but do not expect a similar movie. Some parts work, others are just... awkward. 6+/10

Watched the UK blu-ray, which looks good (but not amazing). Also, last movie role for noir icon Lizabeth Scott, I wish she had more screentime, loved her part.

« : May 14, 2018, 01:57:29 AM XhcnoirX »

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17787 : May 14, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »

Pulp (1972): Michael Caine is a pulp author who's asked to ghostwrite the autobiography of former moviestar Mickey Rooney. But things go awry when Rooney is shot at close range at a festive meal. Uneven movie that doesn't quite know whether to be comedic, or a spoof/tribute to noir/pulp novels. Caine's voice-overs are great tho (told in a hard-boiled manner, often giving a slightly skewed account of the on-screen events). Second collaboration between Caine and director Mike Hodges after 'Get Carter', but do not expect a similar movie. Some parts work, others are just... awkward. 6+/10

Watched the UK blu-ray, which looks good (but not amazing). Also, last movie role for noir icon Lizabeth Scott, I wish she had more screentime, loved her part.

Thanks I've heard of it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #17788 : May 14, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »

The Spiral Staircase (1945)  EEEEHHH.  I didn't care for this one.  The contrived older woman in the bed with her shenanigans.  You knew who the bad guy was gonna end up being.  The whole thing was kinda silly.  The cinematography was pretty good. Other than that...  5 out of 10.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17789 : May 19, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »

Some numbers:

Call Me by Your Name (2017) - 8/10
Annihilation (2018) - 6/10
Matinee (1993) - 8/10
Innerspace (1987) - 8/10

: 1 ... 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 ... 1403  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM