Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 06:29:00 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 1403
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5117342 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17790 : May 20, 2018, 02:41:09 AM »

The Spiral Staircase (1945)  EEEEHHH.  I didn't care for this one.  The contrived older woman in the bed with her shenanigans.  You knew who the bad guy was gonna end up being.  The whole thing was kinda silly.  The cinematography was pretty good. Other than that...  5 out of 10.

Don't think I've ever watched this one completely. Saw the very beginning that's it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17791 : May 21, 2018, 04:32:32 AM »

Cure (1997): Kôji Yakusho is investigating several seemingly random murders, committed by people who have no recollection of what they did. The only connection is that they all slashed a cross on their victim. Atmospheric and creepy psychological thriller, with some beautiful shots. 8/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17792 : May 21, 2018, 05:13:18 AM »

I thought the casting was perfect. Tye Sheridan was born to play a Spielberg adolescent. Loved Mark Rylance in his role. And every other supporting actor was just great.

I really enjoyed the story overall. Yeah a lot of it is down the audience's throat (the movie literally ends with "you shouldn't spend so much time gaming and on the internet!"), but hey, its a kids movie. I'm fine with that.

The Shining sequence was a nice surprise and a lot of fun to see Spielberg playing in Kubrick's world again.

I was really dissatisfied with the design of the OASIS. I thought it couldn't have been more bland and ugly in terms of character design (twinks with lame Final Fantasy hair), colors (blue and orange...great), texture. Unfortunately this is well over half the movie, and it looks to me like a generic yet well-done PS4 or Xbox cutscene.

I wonder if this is intentional, though, like Spielberg almost doesn't want it to age well or to look more unique and imaginative, separate from modern gaming trends. How the movie embraces 80's nostalgia, maybe by making it look as generic as possible, 30 years down the road this movie will be naturally nostalgic of gaming styles of today.

I thought everything done in the real world was excellently shot and crafted, but OASIS takes up a lot of the movie, and I also think that hurt the pacing a lot. Too many scenes in there dragged far too long, especially the final battle.

I'm glad I didn't bother to finish the book first as it seems a lot of fans of it didn't enjoy the movie at all. I'd rather enjoy the movie than the book.

I think we have a near complete opposite view on this one :)

I was at ease wih the in-game scenes: they're obviously incredibly well directed and contain most of (or all?) the fun parts: the Shining scene, the two races... I thought the design of the OASIS was good: to me, the relative blandness is not about the film aging well but more about how to integrate all these very different characters and backgrounds into a cohesive imagery, which was the biggest visual challenge of the film, and to me, it's a huge win. The beautiful Janusz Kamiński inspired (from his interviews, it seems the DoP wasn't directly in charge of the look of the OASIS scenes) lighting and color grading schemes of those scenes probably does even more for the integration than the design itself, but still.

I was overall dissatisfied with the live action scenes because that's mostly where all the bullshit was: caricatures more than characters, overly simplistic relationships, bad dialogues. I don't buy the "it's a kids movie" argument: good kids movies are good movies first just like good action flicks, good western movies, good Chinese movies, good whatever kind of films are good movies first. Home Alone or The Princess Bride avoid these traps, so it's doable, and even Spielberg avoided them several times (Indiana Jones, ET...).

I was also disappointed by the bad guy, who is lucky to be played by a good actor, and by the 3 enigmas, which solutions were always very unrealistic and, well, disappointing.

Dead Man (1995) 6/10. All your favorites are here: Alfred Molina (cameo), John Hurt (cameo), Gabriel Byrne (cameo), Lance Henricksen, Billy Bob Thornton (under so many prostheses you’d never recognize him if he didn’t speak), Mitchum (cameo), Johnny Dippshi*t. With Robby Muller behind the camera and Neil Young on guitar. Great locations, including Neah Bay, Washington (home of the Makah tribe). It all goes on just a little too long. The new Criterion blu, though, is a treat.

This is a film that, by all accounts, should be a 9 or 10/10, and I never put my finger on why it's only a 6-7/10 (that I enjoy watching every 5 years or so).

« : May 21, 2018, 05:16:47 AM noodles_leone »

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17793 : May 21, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »

The Bloodstained Butterfly aka Una Farfalla Con Le Ali Insanguinate (1971): After a TV sports show presenter is convicted of murder, similar murders are committed. Slow but intriguing mix between a giallo and a police procedural, with plenty of suspects and red herrings. 7/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #17794 : May 23, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »

Tess (1980) - 10/10. Probably the best-lit color film of all time. And those costumes!  Shame about the music, though.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17795 : May 23, 2018, 08:29:37 AM »

Tess (1980) - 10/10. Probably the best-lit color film of all time. And those costumes!  Shame about the music, though.

Tess (both the movie and Nastassja Kinski) look absolutely gorgeous. While I appreciate the Kubrikian irony of the tale, the whole deal is also as boring as it is pointless (ie quite a lot), isn't it? I'd be happy to be educated on why it deserves 10. I felt like I missed the point.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17796 : May 23, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »

It may seem pointless in retrospect, but as the story was unfolding I found it pretty gripping. Obviously it is a tale about characters who make bad choices--not simply Tess herself, but everyone. Something that's in Hardy that the film can't help but incorporate is the idea that the deck is stacked against the heroine. This is made explicit in the novel but must be teased out of the film. It only seems there is a clear choice between Alec and Angel--in fact, the first is bad and the other is weak. Tess must go wrong choosing either (or both), and there is no third alternative (there seem to be no convents in Dorset). The interesting thing is going through the story with certain genre conventions in one's mind and then having expectations confounded. Meanwhile there are all the wonderful costumes to look at, and the marvelous French rural locations playing rural England. And, scene after scene, I kept waiting for Unsworth (and his replacement) to blow it--they never did. Generated quite a bit of suspense for me there.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17797 : May 24, 2018, 05:10:33 AM »

Ronin (1998): Freelance criminals are recruited to retrieve a mysterious case. Of course things don't go as planned. Been years since I last saw it, never noticed before how quotable this movie is. Also has some of the best car chases in 90s cinema. 8/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17798 : May 24, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »

Ronin (1998): Freelance criminals are recruited to retrieve a mysterious case. Of course things don't go as planned. Been years since I last saw it, never noticed before how quotable this movie is. Also has some of the best car chases in 90s cinema. 8/10

I never saw the movie. I remember reading a review of the film upon its release (probably in NY Post or Daily News) that said, “long on car chases, short on sense.”

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17799 : May 25, 2018, 01:08:37 AM »

I never saw the movie. I remember reading a review of the film upon its release (probably in NY Post or Daily News) that said, “long on car chases, short on sense.”

That's not too far off :)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17800 : May 25, 2018, 01:14:55 AM »

Saw it a year ago. I remember something quite dull and boring, car chase included.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17801 : May 25, 2018, 01:21:41 AM »

The Scarlet Hour (1956): Carol Ohmart and lover Tom Tryon overhear a plan for a jewelry robbery, and decide to rob the robbers. Ohmart's husband James Gregory finds out about the love affair tho, messing things up big time. Directed by Michael Curtiz ('Casablanca', 'Mildred Pierce') this was a surprise, a 40s noir made in 1956. Good shit. 8/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17802 : May 25, 2018, 05:47:41 AM »

The Scarlet Hour (1956): Carol Ohmart and lover Tom Tryon overhear a plan for a jewelry robbery, and decide to rob the robbers. Ohmart's husband James Gregory finds out about the love affair tho, messing things up big time. Directed by Michael Curtiz ('Casablanca', 'Mildred Pierce') this was a surprise, a 40s noir made in 1956. Good shit. 8/10
I'd never heard of this! And a quick check reveals that it was shot in Vistavision, too. There doesn't seem to be a home video release of it, though. How did you see it?

UPDATE: Well, I found this, with poor image quality and not in the correct dimensions, but anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As5zEMCwbVs

« : May 25, 2018, 05:58:28 AM dave jenkins »

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17803 : May 25, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »

I'd never heard of this! And a quick check reveals that it was shot in Vistavision, too. There doesn't seem to be a home video release of it, though. How did you see it?

UPDATE: Well, I found this, with poor image quality and not in the correct dimensions, but anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As5zEMCwbVs

I downloaded it from archive.org some time ago, https://archive.org/details/TheScarletHour1956
It's the same copy as in that yt link.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17804 : May 25, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »

Get Eddie Muller on the case for a restoration!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 1403  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines