Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:53:18 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1401
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5045833 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« #17805 : May 25, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »

The Scarlet Hour (1956): Carol Ohmart and lover Tom Tryon overhear a plan for a jewelry robbery, and decide to rob the robbers. Ohmart's husband James Gregory finds out about the love affair tho, messing things up big time. Directed by Michael Curtiz ('Casablanca', 'Mildred Pierce') this was a surprise, a 40s noir made in 1956. Good shit. 8/10

The plot sounds similar to Kubrick's "The Killing".  Gonna check this out. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17806 : May 27, 2018, 03:09:36 AM »

I just watched it, (on Youtube) not a bad. I cast it to the TV and used the aspect ratio function to get it to 1.85:1 it looked decent enough. I'd give it a 7/10 as is restored probably more.

« : May 27, 2018, 03:11:28 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17807 : May 27, 2018, 05:22:29 AM »

Death Walks On High Heels (1971): Nightclub dancer Nieves Navarro (aka Susan Scott) is stalked by a man who's killed her dad, looking for the loot of her dad's latest robbery. She flees to the UK with one of her fans, Frank Wolff, but the man finds her there as well. Nice giallo with plenty of red herrings and twists. 7/10

Watched this on the UK blu-ray. Still not sure if I am really into giallo or not, but I do find it a fascinating genre. They do feature some of the prettiest women of 70s Euro cinema.

And decided to catch an early morning movie at a local cinema, which made me the sole person in the room watching...
Hangman (2017): Al Pacino, Kurt Urban and Brittany Snow are in search of a serial killer who plays a game of hangman both with his victims and the detectives, whose pasts are, surprise surprise, linked to the killer. Enjoyable but totally by the numbers thriller, but whatever, I knew that going in, hah. 6-/10

« : May 27, 2018, 05:24:40 AM XhcnoirX »

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
moorman
Gunslinger

« #17808 : May 27, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »

Death Walks On High Heels (1971): Nightclub dancer Nieves Navarro (aka Susan Scott) is stalked by a man who's killed her dad, looking for the loot of her dad's latest robbery. She flees to the UK with one of her fans, Frank Wolff, but the man finds her there as well. Nice giallo with plenty of red herrings and twists. 7/10

Watched this on the UK blu-ray. Still not sure if I am really into giallo or not, but I do find it a fascinating genre. They do feature some of the prettiest women of 70s Euro cinema.

And decided to catch an early morning movie at a local cinema, which made me the sole person in the room watching...
Hangman (2017): Al Pacino, Kurt Urban and Brittany Snow are in search of a serial killer who plays a game of hangman both with his victims and the detectives, whose pasts are, surprise surprise, linked to the killer. Enjoyable but totally by the numbers thriller, but whatever, I knew that going in, hah. 6-/10

Pacino and Deniro used to be two of my favorite actors.  What turned me away is their willingness to act in ANYTHING.  Just bring them a script and they are onboard...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17809 : May 27, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »

Pacino and Deniro used to be two of my favorite actors.  What turned me away is their willingness to act in ANYTHING.  Just bring them a script and they are onboard...

I think that's because they got to stay at the living level they are accustomed to. How many films out there are quality productions? Ya got all the money going to super hero CGI stuff, no? I think they are gonna take anything they are offered. They really should segue into cable miniseries, that's where a lot  of the quality stuff is now.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #17810 : May 27, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »

I think that's because they got to stay at the living level they are accustomed to. How many films out there are quality productions? Ya got all the money going to super hero CGI stuff, no? I think they are gonna take anything they are offered. They really should segue into cable miniseries, that's where a lot  of the quality stuff is now.
  Thats true.  Everything you said is true.  Hollywood is more interested in the latest blockbuster than to pour money into any movies of substance anymore.  You are correct that it seems they put more SUBSTANCE effort into the miniseries like " Breaking Bad", etc. etc. etc.  There are enough independent producers and directors to supply pretty good material but the good money is not there.  Deniro and Pacino's movie legacies suffer because of it. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17811 : May 27, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »

Thats true.  Everything you said is true.  Hollywood is more interested in the latest blockbuster than to pour money into any movies of substance anymore.  You are correct that it seems they put more SUBSTANCE effort into the miniseries like " Breaking Bad", etc. etc. etc.  There are enough independent producers and directors to supply pretty good material but the good money is not there.  Deniro and Pacino's movie legacies suffer because of it.

I've been to De Niro's county place outside of Gardener NY, it's quite the spread. Original House dating from early 1800s on something like 80 acres, small ski slope, ice skating pond, a heated helipad, a horse and critter barn, a man made lake with with circulating geothermal system that uses the lake to heat up or cool a "rec barn" that has an indoor pool, a lap pool, hot tub, a half basketball court, weight room, and a bar. Then he has a place in NYC and possibly on the West Coast too boot.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #17812 : May 27, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »

I've been to De Niro's county place outside of Gardener NY, it's quite the spread. Original House dating from early 1800s on something like 80 acres, small ski slope, ice skating pond, a heated helipad, a horse and critter barn, a man made lake with with circulating geothermal system that uses the lake to heat up or cool a "rec barn" that has an indoor pool, a lap pool, hot tub, a half basketball court, weight room, and a bar. Then he has a place in NYC and possibly on the West Coast too boot.
  Wow!  THATS a lot to take care of. I see your point...

« : May 27, 2018, 03:04:31 PM moorman »

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17813 : May 28, 2018, 01:58:02 AM »

I can't disagree on Pacino and DeNiro. They've certainly starting caring more about paychecks than the material itself. I wouldn't mind those kinds of paychecks myself tho, hahaha...

Anyways...

Amsterdamned (1988): Huub Stapel tries to find a serial killer in scuba gear who terrorizes the canals of Amsterdam. Dutch slasher with a sweet speedboat chase on the canals (partly shot in Utrecht, hah). I've probably not seen this since the 90s, I forgot how much dark humor it has. Still holds up. 8-/10

Had to import this Dutch classic because the Dutch blu-ray is crap. The (region free) US blu-ray looks great, looking forward to checking out the commentary track with director Dick Maas.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17814 : May 28, 2018, 04:13:32 AM »

Apart from the 60s and 70s, when Hollywood did not understand the film world for a short time, and did not really understand what they were producing then, I doubt that Hollywood had ever any interest in substance.

Substance is what film fans and film historians later, when the film have put on a solid layer of patina, are "discovering" in the mainstream films of their youth.

« : May 28, 2018, 08:20:04 AM stanton »

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #17815 : May 28, 2018, 07:14:50 AM »

If by chance someone has somehow missed "The Best Years of our Lives" or "The Great Escape", Turner Classic is airing them tonight as part of their Memorial Day tribute.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17816 : May 31, 2018, 12:49:20 AM »

Sleepwalker (1984): Two siblings are having a London couple over for dinner. Dinner is difficult as the couples are polar opposites, but the following night turns out to be lethal. Laced with biting commentary on the political climate in 80s UK, and a pretty damn cool final 10 minutes of suspense and horror, it's an intriguing and good short feature (50m). 7/10

The Insomniac (1971): A man, stuck in a dead end job/marriage, has a vivid dream where he ends up at a party and runs off with the the hostess... Or is it a dream? Another short feature (45m) that's enjoyable enough but doubt I'll ever feel the need to watch again. 6-/10

Watched both on the BFI Flipside blu-ray ('Sleepwalker' is the main feature/title of the release).

raymond
Road Apple

« #17817 : May 31, 2018, 02:52:48 AM »

Tess (both the movie and Nastassja Kinski) look absolutely gorgeous. While I appreciate the Kubrikian irony of the tale, the whole deal is also as boring as it is pointless (ie quite a lot), isn't it? I'd be happy to be educated on why this deserves 10. I felt like I missed the point.

Amazing movie, great book.

« : May 31, 2018, 11:33:58 PM raymond »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17818 : May 31, 2018, 04:14:35 AM »

Amazing movie, great book.

How close does the film follow the book?

moorman
Gunslinger

« #17819 : June 01, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »

Dark Mountain (1944)  One of the most implausible movies I have ever seen.  Robert Lowery is a forest ranger.  He assaults his supervisor during a forest fire fight and a few days later gets a promotion and a furlow.  He goes to propose to his girlfriend who has married a successful businessman who she doesn't really know is a gangster.   The gangster's head gang member ( Elisha Cook Jr.)  approaches him while he and his wife are at a restaurant and proceeds to tell his business in front of his wife.   She later tells him to choose between his gangster life or her.   He chooses the gangster life.   He has to go on the run eventually and takes wife with him.  Gangster tells the wife that she is in as much trouble as he is. They agree to split up temporarily.  Wife approaches forest fighter who hides her out at a ranger cabin.  Ranger's best friend, another ranger, finds out about the situation.  He says nothing.  Just too much implausibility going on here and I haven't even scratched the surface of it.  WAIT. I am gonna touch the surface of it.  The gangster and the wife are getting away in a station wagon.  The forest ranger's dog runs after the station wagon which appears to be going about 60 or 70 DOWN a mountain and CATCHES UP to the station wagon and jumps in the back to spoil the getaway.  I wanted to see this movie because of Elisha Cook.  That didn't turn out too well.  3 out of 10...    Wait, 3 is too much.  2 out of 10...

« : June 01, 2018, 02:37:12 PM moorman »

: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1401  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines