Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2020, 09:48:47 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1207 1208 [1209] 1210 1211 ... 1292
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3316691 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18120 : January 21, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »

Reminds me of the immortal “post your rating system” thread  :D

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12078.0

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moorman
Gunslinger

« #18121 : January 21, 2019, 11:58:51 AM »

Le Circle Rouge is a 9...  I like the second half better than the first half...

moorman
Gunslinger

« #18122 : January 21, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »

The Intouchables (2012)  Ran across this on Amazon Prime.  This is a French film about a paralyzed French Aristocrat who is in the process of replacing a assistant.  He chooses a younger candidate who really didn't want the gig and has no sympathy for him.  This coldness is exactly what the Aristocrat ( Phillipe) is seeking  so he hires him.  The film is like watching a Fresh Prince of Bel Air movie.  Thats good or bad depending on how you would view that.  It won a lot of French film awards.  I rank it a 7 out of 10...

The Conformist ( 1970)  I have been trying to find a good Jean Louis Trintignant film after his excellent performance in The Great Silence.  A  Bernardo Bertolucci film its revered by his fans and is known for its visual style. It didn't disappoint there.  The disappointment for me was the plot itself.  Told in current time and flashbacks it seemed to muddle together and I couldn't keep up with whether the action was happening in current time or flashback.   The plot was a jumbled mess... Only visuals alone and a great performance by Trintignant I give this a 6 out of 10.  Otherwise it would be below a 5...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18123 : January 21, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »

Ok, but what did you think about it?

Interesting enough to keep me watching, I'll have to see season 2.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18124 : January 21, 2019, 11:48:53 PM »

The reason you hardly ever see me rate a movie between 0 and 5 is that if I am watching a movie that's that bad, I'll shut it off before I reach the end, and I never post a rating for a movie I haven't finished  ;)
Me as well. Most movies I seek out to watch are usually going to be at least a 5 or 6 because there's an interest in the first place. I also tend to re-watch a lot more movies nowadays so I'm just rating a bunch of stuff that I already rated relatively high.

One of my favorite Altmans, too. Really hoping for that Criterion release soon. Current DVD kinda sucks.

I've never seen the Police Story movies but I wanna buy that set.
Jackie Chan is the man, I need to see a lot more of his stuff/revisit a lot of his work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

He's the Chaplin for the workin' man.

« : January 21, 2019, 11:53:57 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18125 : January 22, 2019, 02:37:55 AM »

I got bored and frustrated after episode 2 or 3. I'm sure there are good things in it further into the story though.

Interesting.

For me the first season belongs to the best series of that kind on TV, very concentrated storystelling with two very positive surprises, which I both did not see coming, and which were not cheap like they mostly are. Great acting and lots of interesting characters, and they avoided all the flaws most of the other good TV series are trapped in.

But the second season was then a negative surprise. The story is still complex, or at least complicated, but the storytelling was now too often of the usual mainstream banality. The drop of quality was kinda immense.

I have no idea how that could happen.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #18126 : January 22, 2019, 07:58:56 AM »

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)  This was surprisingly better than I thought it would be.  It had elements of Heist films mixed in with other gangster stuff so that was unexpected.  Mitchum did his thing.  The plot was strong.  The cinematography OK.  Its a strong film with the ONLY thing holding it back is the television episode music score.  A strong score would've elevated this to a 9 in my opinion... As is i will give it a solid 8...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18127 : January 22, 2019, 08:21:26 AM »

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)  This was surprisingly better than I thought it would be.  It had elements of Heist films mixed in with other gangster stuff so that was unexpected.  Mitchum did his thing.  The plot was strong.  The cinematography OK.  Its a strong film with the ONLY thing holding it back is the television episode music score.  A strong score would've elevated this to a 9 in my opinion... As is i will give it a solid 8...

Very good movie  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18128 : January 22, 2019, 08:34:53 AM »

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)  Its a strong film with the ONLY thing holding it back is the television episode music score.  A strong score would've elevated this to a 9 in my opinion... As is i will give it a solid 8...
Such a wrong comment. The score is excellent, Lalo Schifrin, I believe. The fact that TV later copied that style and ran it into the ground with endless cheap imitations is not the fault of the original.

Of course, you completely overlook the film's strongest element, the original novel. It's almost impossible to adapt a George Higgins novel and produce something that isn't stellar. Higgins, a lawyer, knew how crooks talked.

« : January 22, 2019, 08:40:37 AM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #18129 : January 22, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »

Such a wrong comment. The score is excellent, Lalo Schifrin, I believe. The fact that TV later copied that style and ran it into the ground with endless cheap imitations is not the fault of the original.

Of course, you completely overlook the film's strongest element, the original novel. It's almost impossible to adapt a George Higgins novel and produce something that isn't stellar. Higgins, a lawyer, knew how crooks talked.

I was not aware that television copied that scoring style from the film.  They wore it out...lol.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18130 : January 24, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »

Wonder Wheel (2017) Written and directed by Woody Allen. Cinematography by Vittorio Storaro. Stars, Justin Timberlake, Juno Temple, Kate Winslet, and Jim Belushi.

Coney Island Neo Noir - Sort of A Streetcar Named Desire meets The Honeymooners and The Sopranos shot in a kaleidoscope of carnival colors. It's very offsetting at first but grows on you. The Acting is top notch. A lot of fun to watch. Thanks Woody. 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18131 : January 25, 2019, 06:42:32 AM »

Cold War / Zimna wojna (2018/2017) - 9/10. I liked Pawel Pawlikowski's previous film Ida; like it, this film imitates the style of films made during the period (50s-60s) in which the action takes place (including the use of 1.37:1 AR!). This is the most beautiful b&w film ever made (except it isn't, of course, "film"). The story is about a troubled couple who can't stay together but they can't keep apart; their difficulties are exacerbated by the Cold War and the problems with moving back and forth from Poland to France. There is also the matter of their calling: both are musicians, and whether they are in Poland or France they are constantly under pressure to compromise their artistic visions. One of the really great things about the film beside the images is the way in which music is incorporated into the whole. It's as if a worthy successor to Kieslowski had at last been found. In fact, they could have called this film Three Colors: Black, White, and Grey.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #18132 : January 25, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »

Black KKKlansman (2018)   It was OK.  The problem I had with the movie was the premise itself.  One cop is on the phone undercover and another cop plays his part in person.  Based on a true story so thats how the plot had to go.   I rank it a 7 out of 10...

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18133 : January 26, 2019, 07:03:13 AM »

Hot Fuzz (2017) - 8/10
Don't know how it took me so long to watch this, but it's easily my favorite Edgar Wright movie (now seen them all besides Fistful of Fingers). I liked it so much that I might even consider giving his horrible Scott Pilgrim a third try.

EDIT: N_L I noticed that Arrow is releasing Fistful of Fingers newly restored on Blu Ray this year. I'll hold out for that instead of finding a torrent

« : January 26, 2019, 07:31:58 AM PowerRR »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18134 : January 26, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »

Hot Fuzz (2017) - 8/10
Don't know how it took me so long to watch this . . .
Because . . . you had to wait for the DVD to travel through time 10 years? One day the wormhole opened up and suddenly there it was!>:D

: 1 ... 1207 1208 [1209] 1210 1211 ... 1292  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines