Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2019, 09:51:39 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1214 1215 [1216] 1217 1218 ... 1222
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2571008 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18225 : March 11, 2019, 12:39:53 AM »

2. Crash (2004) 6.5/10

This is the piece of shmlatz won Best Picture, and that n_l is in love with?

One good thing I can say about it is that the acting is mostly spectacular up and down the cast.

Hey, you cannot expect from every single Best Pic to be half as good as The Patriot!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18226 : March 11, 2019, 06:54:24 AM »

Sorry to rag on you on two different threads D&D but I can not trust any ratings in a post where 15:17 is given as high a rating 6/10. Horrendous, horrendous movie

Just seeing that 6/10 next to Crash makes me want to rewatch Crash, for n_l.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18227 : March 14, 2019, 06:38:16 AM »

The Witch (2015) - 8/10
What's happening with american horror films these days? After decades of nothingness, a new generation of talented first time directors is killing it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18228 : March 14, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »

Hmm, I have no idea how one can hate The Fallen Idol ...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18229 : March 14, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »

The Fallen Idol (1948)  I hated this movie.  Everything about it.  5 out of 10...

Soooo... how do you feel when you watch a 1/10?  ???

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18230 : March 14, 2019, 01:56:12 PM »

How do YOU feel?

Well, I feel like “ I hated this movie.  Everything about it.”, hence my question!

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18231 : March 14, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »

It is not a very good movie. The Third Man and Odd Man Out are overrated as well.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18232 : March 15, 2019, 07:59:16 AM »

Army of Shadows (1969)   I finally got back around to watching this after starting it a few months back.  Jean Pierre Melville is one of my favorite directors.  The movie was OK.  I didn't like the subject matter and didn't particularly like the plot.  Too many key parts were told in dialogue instead of you actually seeing the scenes.  Cinematography wasn't nothing special.  Music score was good.  I rate it a 7.5 out of 10...

What's the problem with the subject matter?

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18233 : March 18, 2019, 11:23:45 PM »

Roma (2018) - 8.5/10

Can you imagine Tarkowski at the top of his game doing a (almost) mainstream movie, grounded in the extremely detailed reality of Mexico in the 70's? This is what you get here and this is objectively a masterpiece that is both intimate and epic, comic and tragic, social and metaphysical. It's been released 3 days ago and saying it's pure cinema is already a cliché. In a non absurd world it would be nominated at the academy awards in most categories, and win all the major ones. Now I'm only giving it 8.5 because it's a subjective rating and I have problems with this kind of main characters.

Objectively:

Cinematography: 15/10
Performances: 9/10
Screenplay: 10/10
World creation: 12/10
Ambition: 10/10

WTF

I was tearing my hair out halfway through waiting for this shit to end.

I agree that the performances, cinematography and world creation are great. But I find nothing interesting about this story. This movie gets a 5.5/10

I've noticed that lately, you're throwing words "objectively" into your comments, to try to throw extra weight behind supporting shit, like this movie and Orson Welles  :P

Oh, that dramatic beach scene is done (as I recall) in one take, and that is indeed great.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18234 : March 19, 2019, 02:31:19 AM »

;D

I knew you would never like it.

And I know i’ve been using “objectively”, because film reviewing has to (try to) be from time to time. When a movie is an influential masterpiece, nobody (and I mean it) cares if you liked it or not , if it’s your thing or not. And very few care if it’s flawed (they usually are because ambition and radicality tend to lead to bypassing stuff you aren’t supposed to). It changes history and opens a new path for filmmakers so why the hell am I going to waste my time listening to people - like me - who didn’t like the main character?

Now, it’s easier to call Citizen Kane an influential masterpiece than a movie like Roma, because for the later I don’t have decades of clearly influenced (for the better) films to show. But if there was mone at stake, that’s where I would place my bet, pretty confidently.

I may totally be wrong, though. For instance I sometimes wonder wether I have somehow overstated There Will Be Blood’s influence. Maybe it was already part of a starting trend and not the only big milestone.

So please don’t read my use of “objectively” as “i’m right and you’re wrong” but more as “you’re totally off topic”  >:D

« : March 19, 2019, 02:34:08 AM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18235 : March 19, 2019, 05:15:06 AM »

I sometimes wonder wether I have somehow overstated There Will Be Blood’s influence.
I have no such uncertainty.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18236 : March 19, 2019, 10:02:23 AM »

I have no such uncertainty.

You don't even know the meaning of the word   :-*

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18237 : March 20, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »

Cleo de 5 à 7 (1962, Agnès Varda) - 8/10

A beautiful woman, a singer, becomes obsessed by the idea of death while waiting for the results of a medical analysis. From 5pm to 7pm. It’s almost in real time (the movie lasts for 90min).

I’m very surprised by how good it was. I have no idea why I never expected to like anything by Agnès Varda.... yet I had seen absolutely none of her work. It’s charming like an early Truffaut, but with a much more impressive ability to craft evocative visuals.

It’s so cool to see 1962 Paris, especially since a good chunk of it is probably shot without any kind of authorization. So you see the real inhabitants at the time. They tend to look like hobbits.
Seeing a story about an utterly feminine woman told by a woman is also pretty interesting.

« : March 20, 2019, 04:57:11 PM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18238 : March 21, 2019, 03:22:52 AM »

A beautiful woman, a singer, becomes obsessed by the idea of death while waiting for the results of a medical analysis. From 5pm to 7pm. It’s almost in real time (the movie lasts for 90min).

I’m very surprised by how good it was. I have no idea why I never expected to like anything by Agnès Varda.... yet I had seen absolutely none of her work. It’s charming like an early Truffaut, but with a much more impressive ability to craft evocative visuals.

It’s so cool to see 1962 Paris, especially since a good chunk of it is probably shot without any kind of authorization. So you see the real inhabitants at the time. They tend to look like hobbits.
Seeing a story about an utterly feminine woman told by a woman is also pretty interesting.

Agree, I watched it about half a year ago.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18239 : March 21, 2019, 07:37:54 AM »

I'll check this out. I haven't seen any Varda either.

Have you seen the new doc Faces Places? It's fucking great.

: 1 ... 1214 1215 [1216] 1217 1218 ... 1222  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines