Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2019, 05:14:58 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1217 1218 [1219] 1220 1221 ... 1223
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2580625 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18270 : April 01, 2019, 02:35:04 PM »

Roma (2018) entertaining enough, interesting location/sets beautifully shot 7/10. Not something I'd watch again though.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18271 : April 05, 2019, 01:23:46 AM »

Side note: Goodfellas’ narration and structure were heavily influenced by Jules and Jim. Scorsese went as far as screening the film to his crew before filming Goodfellas.

You cannot call “overrated” something that already changed cinema forever. Now I can easily agree with you on the facts that many of these movies didn’t age well and are difficult to watch. A lot of them are still incredible, though.

« : April 05, 2019, 01:25:41 AM noodles_leone »

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18272 : April 05, 2019, 04:37:16 AM »

Side note: Goodfellas’ narration and structure were heavily influenced by Jules and Jim. Scorsese went as far as screening the film to his crew before filming Goodfellas.

You cannot call “overrated” something that already changed cinema forever. Now I can easily agree with you on the facts that many of these movies didn’t age well and are difficult to watch. A lot of them are still incredible, though.

You mean OBJECTIVELY?  ;D

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18273 : April 05, 2019, 05:20:34 AM »

Burning (2018) - 6/10. I recently read Haruki Murakami's short story "Barn Burning" and then learned there was a film adaptation called Burning, which moved the action from 80s Japan to contemporary Korea (where barns are not as common as greenhouses, apparently; the barn burning reported in the story becomes greenhouse burning in the film). Other changes were necessary to expand the material into a feature film, and these additions undercut the spirit of the original story. So as a Murakami adaptation it's a bust, but as a stand-alone film it's somewhat interesting. I was a little annoyed by the twist at the end--do we really need a Korean version of The Vanishing?--but for most of the time I was entertained. The photography and editing are exceptional (the movie has a wonderful slow, deliberate pace). I have never liked any Korean film I've ever seen; this comes close.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18274 : April 05, 2019, 06:08:27 AM »

You mean OBJECTIVELY?  ;D

Of course! As opposed to entertainly.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18275 : April 07, 2019, 04:43:01 AM »

Bleeder (Nicolas Winding Refn, 1999) - 6/10
It has its moments, but all in all I feel like between this one and the 3 Pusher movies, maybe nobody needed as many entries about the very same thing.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18276 : April 07, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »

8 1/2 - 9/10
Wtf

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18277 : April 07, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »

Convoy (1978) - 7/10. Peckinpah descends to self-parody, but was Sam in on the joke? Doubtful. Still, at times this is a very entertaining film. Hey, I finally figured out that the character Cassie Yates is playing is supposed to be Dirty Lyle's wife. They should have brought her back for the finish.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18278 : April 08, 2019, 06:04:41 AM »

8 1/2 - 9/10
Wtf
had you never seen this?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18279 : April 08, 2019, 07:12:24 AM »

Shoplifters(2018) - 5/10. A struggling family takes in a neglected/abused waif and treats her as their own. And then it turns out that the entire family--grandmother, father, mother, siblings--not a one is a blood relation to the others. They've all chosen each other to be the family they wish they'd been born into. Only problem is, it can't last. Although the parents work jobs, and granny has a small income, they need to supplement their cash flow with a bit of thieving. So papa sends the kids out to score items they can use or re-sell, and it's only a matter of time before someone is caught . . . And once that happens, utopia comes to an abrupt halt. All the children are sent back to their natural families or are put in state homes. The contrast is a stark as it is naïve. Natural families: bad. The Grifters With Hearts of Gold: good. Ah, the humanity! Written and directed by the Japanese charlatan known as Kore-eda.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18280 : April 08, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »

Shoplifters(2018) - 5/10. A struggling family takes in a neglected/abused waif and treats her as their own. And then it turns out that the entire family--grandmother, father, mother, siblings--not a one is a blood relation to the others. They've all chosen each other to be the family they wish they'd been born into. Only problem is, it can't last. Although the parents work jobs, and granny has a small income, they need to supplement their cash flow with a bit of thieving. So papa sends the kids out to score items they can use or re-sell, and it's only a matter of time before someone is caught . . . And once that happens, utopia comes to an abrupt halt. All the children are sent back to their natural families or are put in state homes. The contrast is a stark as it is naïve. Natural families: bad. The Grifters With Hearts of Gold: good. Ah, the humanity! Written and directed by the Japanese charlatan known as Kore-eda.
Don't listen to DJ!!! (unless you're drink who will probably agree).  This was one of the best movies of last year.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18281 : April 08, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »

had you never seen this?

Never. For 15 years the only Fellini I had seen from start to finish was La Dolce Vita. In the past few months I saw it again, and saw for the first time Amarcord and 8 1/2. I still very much want to see Casanova.

8 1/2 is the most impressive so far. I’m not fond of the topic (films about filmmakers are a tad too egocentric for my tastes) but the whole thing is fascinating. There are some of the greatest scenes i’ve ever seen in it.

« : April 08, 2019, 03:58:39 PM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18282 : April 09, 2019, 01:16:48 AM »

Never. For 15 years the only Fellini I had seen from start to finish was La Dolce Vita. In the past few months I saw it again, and saw for the first time Amarcord and 8 1/2. I still very much want to see Casanova.

8 1/2 is the most impressive so far. I’m not fond of the topic (films about filmmakers are a tad too egocentric for my tastes) but the whole thing is fascinating. There are some of the greatest scenes i’ve ever seen in it.

Yes, but your rating is pretty low.

It is ... oops ... one of my 5 favourite films.

Amarcord (his second best) is another fantastic film, but Casanova not so much. Though I probably should watch it again.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18283 : April 09, 2019, 09:29:45 AM »

Well the film had flaws. But it could become a 10 one of these days. It definitely has the potential.

Amarcord was too hit and miss for my taste. Still a must see.

www.ThibautOskian.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18284 : April 09, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »

Convoy (1978) - 7/10. Peckinpah descends to self-parody, but was Sam in on the joke? Doubtful. Still, at times this is a very entertaining film. Hey, I finally figured out that the character Cassie Yates is playing is supposed to be Dirty Lyle's wife. They should have brought her back for the finish.
Convoy is a very entertaining movie, completely agree. The Killer Elite feels like the movie that Peckinpah gave the least shit about...but I've only seen the first 15 mins or so of The Osterman Weekend, though it felt like it had a bit more of a pulse. Obviously, I could be way off there.

Don't listen to DJ!!! (unless you're drink who will probably agree).  This was one of the best movies of last year.
I'm taking DJ's word for it since you don't like The Thing, The French Connection and just recently trashed Detour.

Joking aside, I'm beyond sick of the anti-family etc messages from the morally depraved Hollywood. Pass.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
: 1 ... 1217 1218 [1219] 1220 1221 ... 1223  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines