Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2019, 02:53:16 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1220 1221 [1222] 1223
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2581643 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18315 : May 09, 2019, 04:28:22 AM »

Zorba the Greek (1964) - 7/10. In Crete with Anthony Quinn and Alan Bates. There are some amazing scenes here: the bit where the dying woman is stripped of all her possessions by the "mourners" is one for the books. Also, the idea that Irene Pappas was pretty hot once is some revelation. The b&w photography--by Walter Lassally--is beautiful.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18316 : May 09, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »

Zorba the Greek (1964) - 7/10. In Crete with Anthony Quinn and Alan Bates. There are some amazing scenes here: the bit where the dying woman is stripped of all her possessions by the "mourners" is one for the books. Also, the idea that Irene Pappas was pretty hot once is some revelation. The b&w photography--by Walter Lassally--is beautiful.

I like it also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18317 : May 10, 2019, 04:27:53 AM »

Butley (1974) - 8/10. Alan Bates week continues at the Jenkins Home Entertainment Center with this filmed adaptation of a play. Bates plays an academic rotter with nothing but talk--amusing talk, though. The piece last over two hours and Bates is in every minute. Harold Pinter directed.

« : May 10, 2019, 04:40:21 AM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18318 : May 12, 2019, 07:32:49 AM »

Spider-Man: into the Spider-verse 8/10
Awesome. Now that's how you're supposed to do a mainstream superhero movie: exciting and fun. WITH GOOD ACTION PIECES. What's so difficult to get, MCU? The much talked animation and aesthetics are, indeed, very impressive. Now, just like with the Lego movie, the Z generation ultra high pace without a break for 2 hours hurts the movie: fast is good, but we need to savor things once in a while.

Barry - Season 1 7/10
Lots of very good things. The whole premise and some ideas feel to be written by movie students, but all in all, really good show. The closest thing we have to Fargo while waiting for a new season. Its best scenes give high hopes for the following seasons. Also, the Fonz is in it.

Unsane 7.5/10
Much better than expected. Apart from a couple of stuff, it works perfectly: a cool new paranoia film. The fact is what shot on iPhone more or less worked for the movie. The truth is that when he's in shape Soderberg is good enough with directing performances and blocking that he can make it feel like it works.

Que la Fête commence 6.5/10
Second viewing... I have to say I didn't remember anything more than a few images. Very uneven yet quite rich film. It's full of ideas. Of course the main point is the cast (the deeply regretted Noiret, Rochefort and more recently Marielle).

Klute 7.5/10
Great performances, absolutely gorgeous and powerful cinematography by Gordon Willis. The plot lost me several times (kind of bore me out, actually), but it just looks so cool all the time I feel like I will watch it quite often in the next few years.

« : May 12, 2019, 08:19:31 AM noodles_leone »

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18319 : May 13, 2019, 04:22:04 AM »

The Snake Pit (1948) - 7/10. Olivia de Havilland plays a housewife confined to a NY state psychiatric hospital because of repressed memories and--it is finally revealed--a misplaced sense of guilt. Leo Genn is the stalwart Freudian helping her toward recovery in the face of institutional incompetence and staff members indifferent to her plight. After a series of relapses, the Talking Cure is validated. As awful as life in the institution is portrayed, the film ends up endorsing the system, even the judicious use of shock therapy (!). Toward the end a sentimental song is performed at the the big dance (!!). I recognized the melody as the one broadcast during closing time at the park next door to the place I lived when I was in Tokyo. A check on IMDb indicates that it is "Goin' Home"(1922), Music by Antonín Dvorák from the Second Movement (Largo) in Symphony No. 9 in E Minor "From the New World", Op. 95, B. 178 (1893), Lyrics by William Arms Fisher (1922). The melody was used again in the very last scene as the woman leaves the hospital for good.
Saw the new blu, which looks good. I think I'll drop my rating, though, to a "6." Olivia's performance is good, but the pre-Cuckoo's Nest endorsement of the system is a bit hard to take. Watching this again has whet my appetite for Unsane, however.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18320 : May 13, 2019, 06:55:53 AM »

Spider-Man: into the Spider-verse 8/10
Awesome. Now that's how you're supposed to do a mainstream superhero movie: exciting and fun. WITH GOOD ACTION PIECES. What's so difficult to get, MCU? The much talked animation and aesthetics are, indeed, very impressive. Now, just like with the Lego movie, the Z generation ultra high pace without a break for 2 hours hurts the movie: fast is good, but we need to savor things once in a while.

Barry - Season 1 7/10
Lots of very good things. The whole premise and some ideas feel to be written by movie students, but all in all, really good show. The closest thing we have to Fargo while waiting for a new season. Its best scenes give high hopes for the following seasons. Also, the Fonz is in it.

Unsane 7.5/10
Much better than expected. Apart from a couple of stuff, it works perfectly: a cool new paranoia film. The fact is what shot on iPhone more or less worked for the movie. The truth is that when he's in shape Soderberg is good enough with directing performances and blocking that he can make it feel like it works.
Completely agree on all of these.

Barry Season 2 is a huge improvement on the first, you'll enjoy. Though there is one phenomenal scene in the second to last episode of Season 1, where he is talking to his friend in the car ("WHY DID YOU SAY THAT?!"). That was one of my favorite scenes in general I've watched in a while.

I really, really enjoyed Unsane. It's like a modern take on Sam Fuller's Shock Corridor. Which I just recently rewatched and is a 9/10.

After Hours (1000th viewing) - 10/10
Inside Llewyn Davis (many viewings) - 9/10
2001: A Space Odyssey (many viewings) - 8/10

« : May 13, 2019, 06:56:58 AM PowerRR »
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18321 : May 14, 2019, 12:20:22 AM »

Yes, that and the on stage “I love you” scene were the highlights of the season.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18322 : May 15, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »

Enjo / Conflagration (1958) 9/10. Ichikawa adapts Mishima. A novice monk discovers that the temple where he serves is constantly being defiled, by loose women, American occupiers . . . even the head monk himself! His solution? Conflagration! Mishima was working the redemption-through-annihilation angle long before Pynchon got wind of it.  Mrs. Jenkins comments: “The actor playing the novice monk was perfect casting!”
Blu-ray disc from 4K resto in da house! This Japanese release comes with what appears to be a facsimile of Kon Ichikawa's shooting script, heavily annotated by the director himself! Unhappily, none of this is English friendly. Happily, I have an in-house translator who will put me wise. Yeah, baby!

« : May 15, 2019, 12:02:43 PM dave jenkins »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18323 : May 15, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »

Blu-ray disc from 4K resto in da house! This Japanese release comes with what appears to be a facsimile of Kon Ichikawa's shooting script, heavily annotated by the director himself! Unhappily, none of this is English friendly. Happily, I have an in-house translator who will put me wise. Yeah, baby!

lol

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18324 : May 16, 2019, 04:32:29 AM »

Unsane 7.5/10
Unsane (2018) - 3/10. Unimpressive. Unintelligent. Unsightly.

I'll admit that some of the photography was "interesting", but I found the final sequence, under a blue filter that was supposed to give us day-for-night, deeply, deeply offensive.

Many things I would have overlooked if the story had been any good, but the plot was the worst I've seen this side of the 80s. What a missed opportunity! I was expecting a storyline that delivered ambiguity, but everything was pretty much a by-the-numbers woman in peril story with a serial killer. I was bored.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18325 : May 17, 2019, 02:43:17 AM »

Unsane (2018) - 3/10. Unimpressive. Unintelligent. Unsightly.

I'll admit that some of the photography was "interesting", but I found the final sequence, under a blue filter that was supposed to give us day-for-night, deeply, deeply offensive.

Many things I would have overlooked if the story had been any good, but the plot was the worst I've seen this side of the 80s. What a missed opportunity! I was expecting a storyline that delivered ambiguity, but everything was pretty much a by-the-numbers woman in peril story with a serial killer. I was bored.

There was a lot of great ambiguity in the first half. Once the "is she totally crazy or...?" question is clearly answered, the film becomes way weaker and your review starts to make sense. I'm with you on the day-for-night. I think that was an unsolvable issue though: iPhones never were beasts in low light, and obviously, day for night wasn't the right option for a film that base its cinematography on the keywords "true to life".

Also, the Matt Damon cameo is cool as hell (and I'm far from being a Damon fan).

« : May 17, 2019, 02:47:07 AM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18326 : May 17, 2019, 04:26:06 AM »

Also, the Matt Damon cameo is cool as hell (and I'm far from being a Damon fan).
My favorite moment in the film.

Maybe there was supposed to be ambiguity in the first part of the film (and I expected there to be) but I figured out immediately that the stalker was real. I guess I've seen too many films.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18327 : May 17, 2019, 04:28:04 AM »

John Wick, Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019) – 7/10. This is fun, but it can’t touch the original (there’s no substitute for a good revenge plot). Along with the usual “Gun-fu” there is a plethora of all your favorite martial arts: Book-fu, Knife-fu, horse-fu, German Shepherd-fu, bike-fu, belt-fu, underwater-fu. We also get to see NYC in newly imagined ways. The first fight takes place in an empty New York Public Library (!); later, after having spent time in “Casablanca”,  John Wick returns to NYC via Metro North (!!). The liberties with geography that usually tell against a film enhance things here. Halle Berry and Angelica Huston are in this for no discernible reason.  There is a very nice homage to Tuco’s scene in the gun shop at the beginning. At the end the next Wick film is indicated. I’m guessing the title will be: John Wick: Chapter 4: The High Table.

« : May 17, 2019, 04:31:43 AM dave jenkins »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18328 : May 17, 2019, 06:51:07 AM »

John Wick, Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019) – 7/10. This is fun, but it can’t touch the original (there’s no substitute for a good revenge plot). Along with the usual “Gun-fu” there is a plethora of all your favorite martial arts: Book-fu, Knife-fu, horse-fu, German Shepherd-fu, bike-fu, belt-fu, underwater-fu. We also get to see NYC in newly imagined ways. The first fight takes place in an empty New York Public Library (!); later, after having spent time in “Casablanca”,  John Wick returns to NYC via Metro North (!!). The liberties with geography that usually tell against a film enhance things here. Halle Berry and Angelica Huston are in this for no discernible reason.  There is a very nice homage to Tuco’s scene in the gun shop at the beginning. At the end the next Wick film is indicated. I’m guessing the title will be: John Wick: Chapter 4: The High Table.
JOHN WICK SPOILERS:

Agree with your rating. My problem with the movie is it played all of its cards in the first 30 minutes: library, museum, and horse fights were fucking amazing. There was nothing like seeing John Wick ride a horse through NYC. The pace was incredible.

Then Casablanca comes and it comes to a screeching halt, lots of messy plot that goes on a bit too long.

When it kicks back up again toward the end, there's definitely excellent moments scattered throughout (Metro, the fight with The Raid guys, etc), but it never lives up to the first 20-30 minutes, which is better than anything in the series so far.

I really liked the Tuco homage. I also thought a lot about GBU when Halle Berry leaves him in the desert.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18329 : May 17, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »

One In The Gun (2010)- A David Lynch film wannabe, some interesting stuff but mostly self indulgent crap. 4/10

Detour (1945) Bluray Restoration, beautiful.

: 1 ... 1220 1221 [1222] 1223  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines