Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2019, 08:17:40 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1224 1225 [1226] 1227 1228 ... 1247
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2836664 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18375 : June 16, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »

Rumble Fish (1983) - 3/10. Pretty pictures. Stooopid story. Sure looks good on blu.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18376 : June 16, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »

Rumble Fish (1983) - 3/10. Pretty pictures. Stooopid story. Sure looks good on blu.

Yeah. I've started it a few months ago, I've yet to finish it. The mix of indie 70's filmmaking with the classic 50's setting and black and white is interesting, though. It's more convincing than what Scorsese tried with New York, New York.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18377 : June 16, 2019, 01:19:50 PM »

Yeah. I've started it a few months ago, I've yet to finish it. The mix of indie 70's filmmaking with the classic 50's setting and black and white is interesting, though. It's more convincing than what Scorsese tried with New York, New York.
NYNY was supposed to be the send-up of the musical genre the way that Raging Bull was the great post-modern (for a lack of a better phrase) boxing movie. Rumble Fish is more of an Outsiders 'B side' than anything else. I love the crap out of this movie and I'm someone that usually has a pretty low tolerance of what I find to be ostentatious filmmaking. It was described by FFC as an "arthouse movie for kids" and while that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, it sort of explains its uniqueness.

To me, this is one of the best shot B&W movies ever but I also understand how it can be oft-putting or annoying. I should probably enjoy something like La Haine (1995) more than I do, but that annoys me because it apes this movie too much.

RE: Chinese bookie - I believe I saw the long version, and it was a bore. As someone that loves cult movies, or oddball genre movies more specifically, I don't understand its reputation. Cassavetes was really good at making Cassavetes type of movies thin on plot, but his style just doesn't work trying to shoe-horn in a traditional crime plot.

« : June 17, 2019, 12:38:17 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18378 : June 16, 2019, 04:08:03 PM »

It was described by FFC as an "arthouse movie for kids" and while that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, it sort of explains its uniqueness.

Ha, that's a good way to put it.

And yes, its often gorgeous to look at, with some moments of pure technical brilliance.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18379 : June 17, 2019, 01:51:02 AM »

Rumble Fish is Coppola's best picture after Apo Now. Some dialogues sound a bit pretentious, but otherwise it has an unreal flair and is an often fascinating film. 9/10

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is Cassavetes at his best (together with Faces), and I really love that one. 10/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18380 : June 17, 2019, 03:27:44 AM »

You know what? I was under the impression you were gonna praise the Cassavetes. Tell us more!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18381 : June 17, 2019, 08:03:42 AM »

The Pumpkin Eater (1964) - 9/10. Anne Bancroft plays a woman with eight kids, married to a philandering Peter Finch, her third husband. She's having mental problems. Directed by Jack Clayton, this is marvelously photographed by Oswald Morris. This was a second viewing for me (on DVD) and I really noticed all the Pinteresque touches this time (Harold Pinter wrote the screenplay of the adapted novel). There is one amazing scene in a hairdressers where Yootha Joyce talks to Bancroft, in turns fawning and then venomous. And all the bits with James Mason are acting gold. Hey, Bancroft was one stone fox! I get where Mel Brooks was coming from.
Psyche '59 (1964) - 7/10. A woman (Patricia O'Neal) who suffers from "hysterical blindness" gets her eyes opened--literally and figuratively--to what's been going on between her husband (Curd Jurgens) and her sister (Samantha Egger). Pat O'Neal, reportedly, chose her role in this over the part in The Pumpkin Eater. That was a mistake, perhaps, as The Pumpkin Eater turned out to be the better film, but neither of these was much noticed at the time. This movie, although beautifully photographed (by Walter Lassally), is something of an exercise in bad faith. We are supposed to be rooting for the much-put-upon wife, but she's a dull character. The fornicators are much more dynamic and thus more interesting.  The moment at the end where Curd Jurgens embraces both his lust and its object had me cheering. Pat O'Neal, her sight restored, walking around in the sunlight in the final shot left me cold.

« : June 17, 2019, 08:05:01 AM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18382 : June 17, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is Cassavetes at his best (together with Faces), and I really love that one. 10/10
Is the short version of 'Bookie' infinitely better or are we incredibly far apart on that one?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18383 : June 17, 2019, 02:13:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure that I have never watched the short version. It was always the real one which was shown on TV or released on discs. I have that short version now on the Blu, as bonus, but I doubt that I will ever try it. No, get the original version, and you get 25 more wonderful minutes of pure cassavetism.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is somehow some kind if genre film, but actually more an anti-genre film, which means that unlike Gloria, which Cassavetes accepted to direct as a favor for his wife, and which is different from what he did before (but also good, only in an other way), The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is 100 % Cassavetes, as much as Faces or Husbands or A Woman Under the Influence or Love Streams, and I love them all.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18384 : June 17, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure that I have never watched the short version. It was always the real one which was shown on TV or released on discs. I have that short version now on the Blu, as bonus, but I doubt that I will ever try it. No, get the original version, and you get 25 more wonderful minutes of pure cassavetism.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is somehow some kind if genre film, but actually more an anti-genre film, which means that unlike Gloria, which Cassavetes accepted to direct as a favor for his wife, and which is different from what he did before (but also good, only in an other way), The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is 100 % Cassavetes, as much as Faces or Husbands or A Woman Under the Influence or Love Streams, and I love them all.
I've seen all of his stuff but I didn't find this to have the kinetic energy of Husbands and Faces - it was more like Alphaville, a dull and meandering genre film (sorry to any Alphaville fans).

But i haven't seen it in a long time, so maybe I'll give it another  shot at some point.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18385 : June 18, 2019, 12:58:07 AM »

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is somehow some kind if genre film, but actually more an anti-genre film, which means that unlike Gloria, which Cassavetes accepted to direct as a favor for his wife, and which is different from what he did before (but also good, only in an other way)

I have never seen Gloria. It was on Arte Replay but it disappeared in less than 48 hours. Which is why I ended up rewatching Killing. The documentary "Gena Rowlands, actress and muse" (something like that) is still available on Arte replay, though, but I'm afraid of spoilers.

I've seen all of his stuff but I didn't find this to have the kinetic energy of Husbands and Faces

Faces, especially, is breathtaking from the very first frame to the ending credits.

« : June 18, 2019, 01:02:31 AM noodles_leone »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18386 : June 18, 2019, 03:31:31 AM »

You know what? I was under the impression you were gonna praise the Cassavetes. Tell us more!

I usually hate Cassavetes as an actor, he reminds me of a demented looking Jerry Lewis. I liked his Johnny Staccato jazz detective TV show about half the episodes are pretty good and a few were directed by him. The only film I've seen him in that I really liked was Mickey and Nicky (1976) which almost felt like a Cassavetes film.

The only two movies of his that I've liked so far are The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976) and Gloria (1980), I hated Too Late Blues (1961) thought it was quite tedious, I haven't seen A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Minnie and Moskowitz (1971), Husbands (1970), or Faces (1968).

Anybody seen those last five and what did you think of them?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #18387 : June 18, 2019, 05:15:10 AM »

I haven't seen A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Minnie and Moskowitz (1971), Husbands (1970), or Faces (1968).

Anybody seen those last five and what did you think of them?

I've seen them all and remember little. You may watch them and can't say you didn't like them. Or that you love them, either. The kinda movies which can last 30' or 5h and nothing changes. I've bought the dvd of WUTI 15 years ago and still have to watch it.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18388 : June 18, 2019, 06:30:54 AM »

Faces is great. I think you’ll appreciate the performances and -especially- the cinematography, but it’s too talkative for you.

Husbands you may like a lot. From what i’ve seen it’s the Cassavetes film that looks the most like ca film by Claude Sautet. But with a lot more of partying.

I have yet to see again Woman under influence (only saw it once when I was 16), and i’ve never seen Minnie (next one on my list).

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18389 : June 18, 2019, 07:52:26 AM »

The only two movies of his that I've liked so far are The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976) and Gloria (1980), I hated Too Late Blues (1961) thought it was quite tedious,

Too Late Blues is a film Cassavates himself detests. It was a failed flirt with the Hollywood studio system, and is as result an odd bastard. But he made another troubled and failed Hollywood film (for Stanley Kramer) with A Child Is Waiting before he learned that his kind of cinema could only be done outside the system.

So if you like the other 2 you can try some more of his later films.

: 1 ... 1224 1225 [1226] 1227 1228 ... 1247  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines