Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2019, 10:07:53 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1233 1234 [1235] 1236 1237 ... 1241
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2764736 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18510 : August 28, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »

And Life Goes On (1992) - 10/10. A fictional director who has made a film called Where is the Friend's House? [an actual Kiarostami title] tries to return to the village where it was shot after an earthquake has devastated the region. Whether or not he makes it to the village we never learn--the important thing is the journey, not the destination. Everywhere as the filmmaker travels in his little car there are scenes of destruction--and of people picking up and getting on with their lives. A series of vignettes illustrate the film's title, which is also its theme. Some of the "actors" from the earlier film are encountered. SPOILER One scene is particularly impressive: an old woman is attempting to pull a carpet out from under the rubble (the woman is indoors, we are outside, we hear this more than see it). The filmmaker tries to help her, but he has a bad back, he pronounces the effort futile. He stikes up a conversation with a young man who is apparently newly married. It turns out the man and his bride were wed the day after the earthquake. The filmmaker is amazed--the couple must not have lost many relatives in the quake, he guesses. On the contrary, about 65 family members died; the mourning period could last up to a year, and the couple simply hadn't wanted to wait. The young man bids the filmmaker goodbye, stops at the old woman's house to tell her he will come help her later. As he departs, the woman emerges from her house, dragging the carpet out with her. END SPOILER. The film ends with an astonishing long shot of a car attempting to drive up a hill. Kiarostami gets an incredible amount of drama out of tiny objects in the distance.
I've been waiting for the blu of this for 8 years and it finally arrived (along with the other two films in the "Koker trilogy") from Criterion. It looks fabulous. A good thing I had this review from 2011--this time I missed the detail with the woman and her carpet!

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #18511 : August 28, 2019, 07:52:21 PM »

The Man Who Fell To Earth - 6/10
What a mess. Lots of great stuff though.

I found it utterly unwatchable. I was disappointed since Walkabout, by contrast, is a masterpiece of sorts...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18512 : August 29, 2019, 12:04:42 AM »

I found it utterly unwatchable. I was disappointed since Walkabout, by contrast, is a masterpiece of sorts...

I haven’t seen it but Don’t Look Now was a true revelation to me. Hence my disappointment with this one too.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #18513 : August 29, 2019, 03:46:05 AM »

... Don’t Look Now was a true revelation to me.

I've sort of avoided it since the subject matter is apparently kind of disturbing and I tend to avoid horror flicks. One day, I'm sure I'll watch it.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18514 : August 29, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »

I've sort of avoided it since the subject matter is apparently kind of disturbing and I tend to avoid horror flicks. One day, I'm sure I'll watch it.

It's closer to the fantastic genre rather than actual horror. It's pretty much a David Lynch level of horror.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18515 : August 29, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »

It's closer to the fantastic genre rather than actual horror. It's pretty much a David Lynch level of horror.
That's a fair assessment. I've never liked the ending, though.

Walkabout is disappointing if you know the book. The Roeg film that really works for me, however, is Bad Timing.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18516 : September 04, 2019, 06:45:51 PM »

Parents (1989) - Strange, visually interesting movie directed by Bob Balaban - the President of NBC on Seinfeld - about a child in 50s suburbia that's distrusting of his parents. There are moments where it's visually brilliant, the 50s setting is handled mostly very well with excellent set design, costumes, mid century architecture, etc. The sound design is fantastic which uses disturbing noises as an ambient like score to create a disturbing atmosphere.

The adult cast is on point with Randy Quaid's performance really standing out - the character could have been iconic if the material was a little more coherent. There's a shell of a great horror movie here - and great movie in general - but it's too short and there needed to be a twist, or a reason, for the big reveal. And said reveal isn't exactly unpredictable, which is why some sort of twist was needed or have it be revealed earlier in the movie.

I applaud the visuals and set design and performances, it feels nothing like a late 80s/early 90s Hollywood movie whatsoever. For that alone, it has aged pretty well and gained something of a cult following.

7.5/10 - only for horror fans or people that will appreciate its artisitc merit in terms of its excellently creepy 50s atmosphere.

« : September 05, 2019, 10:22:46 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18517 : September 11, 2019, 05:28:51 PM »

Heat (1995) - Maybe the best movie of the last 25 years, certainly better than anything in the 21st century imo. There are some things about the script you can nitpick like DeNiro randomly bumping into Ashley Judd's character at a motel, but this is possibly the single best example of neo-noir, or stylistic girt or something like that. This movie really pops on the remastered bluray of a couple years ago. 12/10.

i can't say it better than this youtuber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMLej6hFN30

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #18518 : September 12, 2019, 03:43:27 AM »

Apologies for the lack of participation... Hopefully I will get back into the swing of posting here :)

Some of the recent movies I saw...

Without Warning! (1952): Gardener Adam Williams is a psychotic serial killer of pretty women. His attention focuses on Meg Randall, daughter of the owner of his usual gardening tools supply store. Edward Binns is the investigating police detective. Docu-noir in the vein of 'He Walked By Night' (1948) and, even more so, 'The Sniper' (1952). Good movie, but not as good as the other 2 movies. 7/10

The Strange Woman (1946): Femme fatale Hedy Lamarr marries a local business man, seduces her husband's son Louis Hayward to get him to kill his father, and then takes up with lumberjack George Sanders (if that isn't a case of weird casting I don't know what is). Good movie by Edgar Ulmer ('Detour'), Lamarr is simply great here. 7/10

X Marks The Spot (1942): Private eye Damian O'Flynn is looking into a rubber stealing gang, responsible for killing his dad. Not bad, and not a dull moment, but doesn't stand out. Except for the phone-operated jukeboxes to request numbers, a precursor to Spotify! 6/10

No Orchids For Miss Blandish (1948): Jack La Rue's gang kidnaps Linden Travers hoping to get $1M for her. But La Rue and Travers fall in love... Pretty outrageous, violent and scandalous movie (the novel by James Hadley Chase was even more raunchy). But also awkward, as it's a British production but it tries extremely hard to come off as a hardboiled US 30s gangster/40s noir movie. And in doing so, goes overboard with clichéd dialogue and characters, becoming almost a spoof. Fairly unique movie, I have to say, just not that great. 6/10

Watched em all on youtube, except for No Orchids... which I watched on the UK blu-ray.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18519 : September 12, 2019, 04:07:41 AM »

Apologies for the lack of participation... Hopefully I will get back into the swing of posting here :)

Some of the recent movies I saw...

Without Warning! (1952): Gardener Adam Williams is a psychotic serial killer of pretty women. His attention focuses on Meg Randall, daughter of the owner of his usual gardening tools supply store. Edward Binns is the investigating police detective. Docu-noir in the vein of 'He Walked By Night' (1948) and, even more so, 'The Sniper' (1952). Good movie, but not as good as the other 2 movies. 7/10

The Strange Woman (1946): Femme fatale Hedy Lamarr marries a local business man, seduces her husband's son Louis Hayward to get him to kill his father, and then takes up with lumberjack George Sanders (if that isn't a case of weird casting I don't know what is). Good movie by Edgar Ulmer ('Detour'), Lamarr is simply great here. 7/10

X Marks The Spot (1942): Private eye Damian O'Flynn is looking into a rubber stealing gang, responsible for killing his dad. Not bad, and not a dull moment, but doesn't stand out. Except for the phone-operated jukeboxes to request numbers, a precursor to Spotify! 6/10

Watched em all on youtube, except for No Orchids... which I watched on the UK blu-ray.

Thanks I'll check the above out on Youtube, I've seen No Orchids and was wondering myself about it's weird nature, and thought it was a spoof too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18520 : September 13, 2019, 06:59:16 AM »

Razzia sur la chnouf (Razzia) [Drug Raid] (1955) 7/10. DCP. Marcel Dalio, the drug kingpin of Paris, enlists Gabin’s help to fire up his operation and make it more efficient.  Dalio installs Gabin in a restaurant/club to provide cover for his illicit operations. Gabin’s first order of business: seduce the 22-year old girl at the cash register (which he accomplishes in one move). The film's late twist-reveal is well camouflaged but obvious nonetheless. Lino Ventura plays William Conrad to Albert Rémy’s Charles McGraw (i.e. they’re The Killers). 
Saw this again and enjoyed it much more this time. Could it be the fab Blu-ray transfer? Maybe. I kind of think, though, that knowing the twist in advance makes the viewing experience more interesting.

Big Boss 1971
Bandido

« #18521 : September 13, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »

Cold blooded murder 4/6 , first time on YT

More of a thriller than kf , serial killer on the loose

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18522 : September 16, 2019, 03:16:44 AM »

First real weekend in a long, long time. So:

The Matrix 8.5/10
What a weird experience: this is a movie I've watched dozen of times when it was first released in DVD... but haven't seen in 10 years. So I knew by heart every single line and could say them before the characters and yet I was constantly surprised at what came next. As if my subconscious knew the film but not me. Weird.

Secrets and Lies 7.5/10
Really very good and much funnier than I remembered. A bit too emotional though.

First Man 8.5/10
Second viewing, I enjoyed it much more than the first time around. I actually started reevaluating the movie a few weeks after my first viewing, when a friend of mine told me:
"This is the story of a man who cannot close his eyes, because if he does, he sees his dead daughter."
Once you get that the movie becomes terrific. It's possible I'm partial to that subject since I've unfortunately seen my share of parents losing children in the past few years. Still, as always, despite some flaws, Chazelle nails the heart of the story.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18523 : September 17, 2019, 06:36:39 AM »

The Border 6.5/10
Nice little ambiance film. Way too messy and by the book, but the grittiness, the cinematography and the performances make it worth watching here and then.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #18524 : September 17, 2019, 10:40:01 AM »

Limitless (2011)

Bradley Cooper plays a struggling writer, whom a drug dealer suddenly introduces to a new pill that allows a person to access 100% of his brain's capabilities. Now he becomes a financial genius. Needless to say, there are problems ... Robert De Niro in a supporting role as as finance giant whom Cooper starts working for.

I'm not interested in sci-fi, this movie is decent; if you like sci-fi maybe you'll rate it higher, whatever, I was with Miss Korea on Saturday night and we chose it from her Netflix queue. We don't have much the same taste in movies. I tried getting her into classics. She wasn't too into Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, or The Godfather. She's not too into movies in general. Something must be wrong with this girl (the fact that she likes me shoulda been the first clue).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
: 1 ... 1233 1234 [1235] 1236 1237 ... 1241  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines