Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2020, 06:24:13 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2999846 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18915 : March 24, 2020, 05:10:22 AM »

There Will Be Blood 10/10

Spoiler:
For the first time, I think I understood the real reason why Plainview kills his fake brother isn't so much because of the betrayal but rather because he recognized himself in that fake brother. He did the same bad things (making up a family connection "to survive" and threatening to leave in case of crisis). The more I watch this movie, the more I understand that underneath all the power struggles that the film is centered on, the main engine of the action is Daniel's guilt and self hatred (disguised as misanthropy).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18916 : March 24, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »

Salon Mexico (1949) Directed by Emilio Fernandez, written by Emilio Fernandez and Mauricio Magdaleno.

You all know Emilio Fernandez. He was in The Night of the Iguana, The Appaloosa, Return of the Seven, The War Wagon, The Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

Mercedes (Marga Lopez) is a hooker working out of a dance hall  the Salon Mexico, a famous ballroom/club in Mexico City. She lives in a Mexico City  tenement. Most of her money goes to her younger sister Beatriz (Derbez) who is enrolled  in a private school.  Beatriz doesn't know her sister is a prostitute.  Everything unravels when Mercedes wins a dance contest with Paco her pimp and he doesn't want to giver her share so she steals it from him while he's sleeping with another whore in his stable. Also in the mix is a friendly policeman who's had a crush on Mercedes ever since his wife died. 7/10

Death of a Cyclist (1955) Director: Juan Antonio Bardem.

Juan a professor and Mar?a Jos? a socialite, are lovers. Maria is married to wealth, bored but attached to her comforts. Driving back from a weekend tryst Maria kills cyclist on a side road. They leave the man to die because they fear scandal.  Rafa, an eccentric social gadfly who hints that he knows something, and he threatens to expose them to Mar?a Jos?'s husband, Miguel.  Things don't quite work out the way Juan and Maria plan. 8/10

Pale Flower (1964) Directed very stylistically by Masahiro Shinoda

Excon Maraki, a yakuza, returns to his old haunts in Tokyo. He resumes his place within the Funada gang.  He is a gambler and returns to the illegal card games he loves, there he meets the much younger Saeko a well dressed, beautiful young woman with lots of cash and a gambling addiction who is bored with life. When Saeko tells him she tried heroin he tells her there is a bigger high and asks if she wants to watch him carry out another Yakuza hit. 8/10

« : March 24, 2020, 02:36:49 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18917 : March 24, 2020, 08:24:28 PM »

Pale Flower (1964) Directed very stylistically by Masahiro Shinoda

Excon Maraki, a yakuza, returns to his old haunts in Tokyo. He resumes his place within the Funada gang.  He is a gambler and returns to the illegal card games he loves, there he meets the much younger Saeko a well dressed, beautiful young woman with lots of cash and a gambling addiction who is bored with life. When Saeko tells him she tried heroin he tells her there is a bigger high and asks if she wants to watch him carry out another Yakuza hit. 8/10
How about that Takemitsu score, eh? The great thing with Takemitsu is that the score is only part of the total sound design of the film; he also places all the sound effects. Sometimes I watch just the opening credits to listen to the sound of those hanafuda tiles clicking against each other. So soothing!

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18918 : March 25, 2020, 04:09:20 AM »

How about that Takemitsu score, eh? The great thing with Takemitsu is that the score is only part of the total sound design of the film; he also places all the sound effects. Sometimes I watch just the opening credits to listen to the sound of those hanafuda tiles clicking against each other. So soothing!

Yes the sound design and score was fantastic.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18919 : March 25, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »

Here's some quarantine viewings:

Bottle Rocket - 6.5/10
Rushmore - 8/10
The Royal Tenenbaums - 8.5/10
A Hidden Life - 10/10
Bicycle Thieves - 9/10
Quintet - 7/10
A Wedding - 6/10
Bone Tomahawk - 7.5/10
The Naked Kiss - 8/10
Cop Land - 8/10
The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial - 8/10
Neil Young Trunk Show - 7/10
THX 1138 - 6/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18920 : March 25, 2020, 10:14:01 AM »

Here's some quarantine viewings:
Neil Young Trunk Show - 7/10
I really like this, except for the close ups that seem to go up Neil's nose. Hey, a full rendition of "No Hidden Path"! I'd buy THAT for a dollar!

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18921 : March 26, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »

Bachelor Party (1984) - Pretty shitty and forgettable. Tom Hanks' character is ridiculously unlikable and I'm someone that usually enjoys 80s sex comedies more than the next person. We all have our flaws. But this movie is overlong and desperately needed someone like Sam Kinison to play the drugged out, suicidal friend. Hell, even Bobcat Goldthwait would have been a great addition. D

Go (1999) - The 'Pulp Fiction for teens' premise is somewhat clever but Go is way too silly and absurd - though it is ultimately entertaining despite the third act being relatively weak. The soundtrack is way too late 90s and not in a good way. Had the movie been made a few years earlier it probably would have aged a lot better. C

Red Pier (1958) - 20 mins too long with a thin plot (it's an inferior unofficial remake of Pepe le Moko) that is held together by cool sets and pretty B&W visuals (shot in scope like most - or all - of the Nikkatsu movies from this period). It's part of the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys set from Arrow. Not a great movie but worth a watch for those into Japanese genre movies. C+

The Rambling Guitarist (1959) - Its opening credits start out like a western giving the viewer false hope but this is a lean, mean 77 minutes and the somewhat flimsy plot is negated by the visuals, sets, music, atmosphere and great locations. The transfer is the best out of the three by far due to the technicolor really popping in exterior shots creating some decent depth. The best movie of the Diamond Guys set and worth the 14 USD I paid for it. A generous B-

« : March 26, 2020, 03:58:09 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18922 : March 26, 2020, 02:36:49 PM »

I really like this, except for the close ups that seem to go up Neil's nose. Hey, a full rendition of "No Hidden Path"! I'd buy THAT for a dollar!
How did you find it? It's extremely rare. I found a DVD Screener from a reddit user who had it on his Google Drive.

I think there were a few NYC screenings back when it came out

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18923 : March 26, 2020, 04:57:36 PM »

Back when Demme used to regularly show up at the Jacob Burns in Pleasantville, NY, he brought his newly-edited print to show the faithful. Those were the days.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18924 : March 26, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »

Bachelor Party (1984) - Pretty shitty and forgettable. Tom Hanks' character is ridiculously unlikable and I'm someone that usually enjoys 80s sex comedies more than the next person. We all have our flaws. But this movie is overlong and desperately needed someone like Sam Kinison to play the drugged out, suicidal friend. Hell, even Bobcat Goldthwait would have been a great addition. D
Still, it has one of my favorite line readings by Hanks: "Check out the cans on that bimbo!" He's never topped it.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18925 : March 27, 2020, 09:34:08 AM »

Still, it has one of my favorite line readings by Hanks: "Check out the cans on that bimbo!" He's never topped it.
Haha that's the best moment of the movie for sure.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18926 : March 28, 2020, 09:10:51 AM »

Us 8?/10
It was actually good. Much, much better than Get Out. My main issue is that they give out too much about "the others" are, which leads to way too many questions that cannot be answered in a satisfying way. Especially since the art direction often chooses metaphorical/symbolical stuff instead of realistic ones. Anyway, it was good. I'll see it again.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18927 : March 28, 2020, 04:30:36 PM »

Estate Violenta / Violent Summer (1959) - 8/10. An Italian Summer of '42--except it's set in '43. I don't know why I'm so fond of this film--could it be that Eleonora Rossi Drago and Jean Louis Trintignant make a very appealing couple? The location work is very good. Too bad the ending is so abrupt; the film is missing its second half. Also, the lighting for night scenes is ridiculous. Still, I keep coming back to this. It's one of my comfort movies.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18928 : March 28, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »

Estate Violenta / Violent Summer (1959) - 8/10. An Italian Summer of '42--except it's set in '43. I don't know why I'm so fond of this film--could it be that Eleonora Rossi Drago and Jean Louis Trintignant make a very appealing couple? The location work is very good. Too bad the ending is so abrupt; the film is missing its second half. Also, the lighting for night scenes is ridiculous. Still, I keep coming back to this. It's one of my comfort movies.
For whatever reasons, I like this and Girl With a Suitcase more than the overwhelming majority of the academic/Janus Italian classics. I don't know if it's the locations, the camera work, the (sorta) Hollywood like feel or the women...probably a combination of it all. I can't bring myself to sell my Zurlini set that's been OOP for a long time and probably worth at least 60-70 USD (assuming it's still goes for that much or more).

It would be nice if Criterion released an upgrade of the DVD set as I would think it would bring a ton of attention. Something like 'I Knew Her Well' went from relative obscurity to a much higher profile Italian movie of its era, at least for people on the internet.

« : March 28, 2020, 09:27:42 PM T.H. »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18929 : Yesterday at 09:47:55 AM »

Knives Out 7/10
Precise and fun. Sometimes pretty predictable (including the big reveal). Mr Johnson will make a great film at some point, he is sharpening his tools.

: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines